cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disable call-waiting not working UC520

tamergabermd
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure the two front-desk phones in our office so that call-waiting is not active on them. 

Right now I have them setup in a call-blast group.  Our main incoming DID is configured to go straight to the group - that is working and both phones are ringing.  However, if someone answers the call on either phone, and another call comes through, the person talking on the first call hears the call-waiting beep, and the other phone does not ring.  Additionally, the person calling never gets to voicemail.  It just rings and rings. 

Here are the relevant pieces of the configuration:

!

voice hunt-group 1 parallel

final 600

list 600,601

timeout 16

pilot 511

!

ephone-dn  10  dual-line

no call-waiting beep

number 601 no-reg primary

label 601 - Front Desk 2

description Front Desk 2

name Front Desktwo

translation-profile incoming CallBlocking

!

!

ephone-dn  155  dual-line

no call-waiting beep accept

number 600 no-reg primary

label 600 - Main Line

description Incoming Calls

name Front Deskone

call-forward busy 500

call-forward noan 500 timeout 18

translation-profile incoming CallBlocking

----

Could anyone help me to successfully disable call waiting, OR give me another idea for how I should be configuring this so that the call stream works as follows:

call comes in -> both phones ring -> somebody answers on phone A -> second call comes in -> phone B rings

And also if nobody answers, or if both of those phones are tied up, the voicemail for phone A should pick up (I have that setup as our main public mailbox).

Thanks

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Simply use a shared octo-line DN.

No voice hunt-group is necessary.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tamer,

To expand further on what Paolo has suggested, this might be a better option for you

If this is FXO line then the following Scenario could be applied:

voice-port 0/1/0

trunk-group ALL_FXO

supervisory disconnect dualtone mid-call

compand-type a-law

cptone AU

timeouts call-disconnect 3

timeouts wait-release 3

connection plar opx immediate 500

impedance complex1

description Configured by CCA 4 FXO- 0/1/0-BG

caller-id enable

NOTE: THis is setup for Australian FXO settings, please make sure if it is FXO you are using that you make the appropriate adjustments on your configuration, replicating the above may break your setup.

ephone-dn  50

number 500 secondary no-reg both

pickup-group 1

label Line 1

description Line 1

name Line 1

preference 1 secondary 3

call-forward busy 6XXX <------------- *** See Notes

call-forward night-service 6XXX

call-forward noan 6XXX timeout 30

no huntstop

hold-alert 60 originator

night-service bell

NOTES ***: This is to do a directed transfer to a VM box without it having to ring the extension, you would need the following configuration for it:

voice translation-profile XFER_TO_VM_PROFILE

translate redirect-called 2002

And the Rule

voice translation-rule 2002

rule 1 /^6/ //

If it is BRI/PRI Services you are using, this is then just controlled via your Translation Rules/Profiles you have in place, which it looks like you have there.

Your configuration shows me that you have a Blast Group setup, which then points to a Virtual DN, which in theory should be assigned to a button... If this is correct then you do not need the blast group at all, you just need the virtual DN's and assign them to a button, if you do not have enough button real-estate then you can overlay it on a button and assign the other lines as overlays on that button (Ugly way of doing it but it works )

Make sure that if you are using PRI/BRI that you create at least 1-2 overflows and you cascade those DN's sequentially, this will avoid the caller getting a busy tone.

(PS) You should try to provide the associated ephone configuration to accompany the ephone-DN configuration, it helps with understanding how you set this up

Hope this helps..

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply.  I am still having many problems with this.  Could you tell me if the extension 500 listed in your configuration example is meant to be associated with a shared number or with voicemail?  Using 500 where you did, for me, makes it so no phones ring at all when the main number is called.  Changing that to 600, which I have no set up as a shared number for 2 phones, allows both phones to ring on the first call; but if that call is answered, subsequent calls cause a call-waiting beep, but the other phone doesn't ring, and the call never goes to voicemail. 

Thanks

Also, here is my current config.  As you can see I no longer have the blast group configured, these two phones are just trying to us a shared line

!

voice-port 0/3/0

trunk-group ALL_FXO

supervisory disconnect dualtone mid-call

compand-type a-law

timeouts call-disconnect 3

timeouts wait-release 3

connection plar opx immediate 600

description Configured by CCA 4FXO-0/3/0-Custom-OP

caller-id enable

!

ephone-dn  155  octo-line

number 600 no-reg both

pickup-group 1

label Main Line - xxx-xxx-xxxx

description 600

name Front Deskone

preference 1 secondary 3

call-forward busy 500

call-forward noan 500 timeout 12

no huntstop

hold-alert 60 originator

night-service bell

!

!

ephone  10

device-security-mode none

mac-address 0011.208E.xxxx

ephone-template 16

username "xxxxxx" password xxxxxx

type 7940

button  1:155

!

!

ephone  13

device-security-mode none

mac-address 000B.BE94.xxxx

ephone-template 16

username "xxxxxx2" password xxxxxx

type 7940

button  1:155

!

!

voice translation-profile XFER_TO_VM_PROFILE

translate redirect-called 2002

!

voice translation-rule 2002

rule 1 /^6/ //

I'm reading cisco documentation here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmebasic.html

And it says the following about shared lines:

SIP Shared-Line (Nonexclusive)

Cisco Unified CME 7.1 and later versions support SIP shared lines to  allow multiple phones to share a common directory number. All phones  sharing the directory number can initiate and receive calls at the same  time. Calls to the shared line ring simultaneously on all phones without  active calls and any of these phones can answer the incoming calls.  After a phone answers a call, the ringing stops on all phones and the  call-waiting tone plays for other incoming calls to the connected phone.

===

In other words now that I've switched to shared lines the phones are acting as designed, which is useless to me. So it's not a shared line that I need.  I guess I need to go back to the call blast group or hunt group and try to change the original behavior.  I'd very much appreciate anybody's input on this who can answer my original question.  To re-iterate, if one of the receptionists is on one of the phones on the front desk, the other phone still needs to ring when the main number is being called.

Hi Tamer,

I'm always willing to explore other avenues, not meaning to send you down a long windy road, but it was worth a shot to see if it resolved your problem

To re-iterate, if one of the receptionists is on one of the phones on  the front desk, the other phone still needs to ring when the main number  is being called.

At a client I just did an install at, they have three Receptionists at the front counter, 1X SPA-525G2 with 2 Modules, and 2X SPA-508G's

To have this reception function correctly I created a reception blast group and put all three phones in there, further to that I tried turning off the call-waiting-beep on each of their DN's manually, and turns out it don't work I have no answer to that, this function did work, and I triled all the ways of doing it, but it does work when it is a direct to phone call from the outside world and an internal phone calling, NO beeps but activity on the screen.

Potentially a bug me thinks, and I am going to work more on this, sadly I have to cut back on doing testing during working hours before I get myself in a lot of trouble, so will try and schedule in some time to do it after hours and if it turns out to be a bug will log a case with support and report it.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Please let me know if you find, or can think of, any solution to this issue.  This is a huge problem.  Right now if someone calls our front desk and the line is in use, it just rings, it never goes to voicemail.  In your situation, David, does the voicemail pickup in that circumstance after a certain amount of rings?  This seems like a very simple and standard thing for a phone system to do, and the fact that I can't get it to work on this system is really getting some people angry. 

Should I try to open a case with support? 

Hi Timer,

I have set the CFB timer to 10 seconds which then goes to the VM, this shall suffice for now.

And YES you should notify support, absolutely, I don't always practice what i preach and come to regret it later on, the sooner you have a case open the sooner you can get to resolving the problem, and if it is a bug the sooner the Dev team can start working on a resolution for it.

I would open a case on this, but I have about 8 cases now piling up waiting to be logged, I have dug myself a grave and I am just working out if I need to cremate myself to get it over and done with

Cheers,

David.

That actually works?  Could you tell me how to set the Call-Forward Busy timer?  I assume that's global but I can't figure out where it's set.

Hi Tamer,

Yes it does work, but there is more than one way of achieving this

• Do it to that extensions voice mail

or

• Use the transfer to VM functionality (CCA Can assist you with this) and you can transfer a call to another's voice mail if you want them all stored in a central place

or

• If you have a blast group you can send it to that VM and make people members of that inbox or use IMAP

If you are having troubles with setting this up I am more than happy to give you some remote assistance if you want and we can go through this using CCA and we can get this baby working the way you want it too

Just keep in mind of the time zones so I can make sure I am awake...

Cheers,

David.

Wouldn't you just have to add this to ephone-dn  10?

call-forward busy 500

call-forward noan 500 timeout 18

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: