DTMF tones on speakerphone conference call / BT MeetMe

nellster1000
Level 1
Level 1

Using SPA504G / FW 7.5.5

3CX PBX - SIP Trunks

Have a strange issue where by the following happens:

With handset lifted:

1.) User can dial conference call tel number and enter participant/chairperson code

2.) User can enter/execute additional touchtone commands to manage call

On Speakerphone:

1.) User can dial conference call tel number and enter participant/chairperson code

2.) User can enter additional touchtone commands but these are not executed. They show up on the display though.

3.) If user deactivates speakerphone and uses handset mid call the touchtone commands work again.

Ive done some searching and looked through the settings but can see nothing that would immediately reference this. Im aware that this coud be a PBX or conference provider issue but would like to rule out a phone setting first.

Many thanks,

Nell

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, it may be some sort of bug with your configuration and/or phone's firmware. I did it just now, calling my own mobile phone from phone with FW 7.5.5. I can hear DTMF in both on-hook and on-speakerphone case. Try it yourself. If you will hear DTMF when on-hook but not when on-speaker mode, you hit either configuration or firmweare problem I didn't hit during my test. Then you can play with configuration to solve the problem.

But I didn't expect it is configuration/firmware problem. I suspect the problem is elsewhere.

On speakerphone, the DTMF is mixed with noise from room (even it's almost silent room). I'm sure you will listen such noise even during your's test. DTMF may not be recognized on receiver's side becauise poor signal/noise ratio. Also, compressed codecs like G.729 cause some signal distortion, so use an uncompressed codec (uLaw or aLaw) during the test.

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply, will try the troubleshooing steps and report back!

Thanks,

Neil

thechet69
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue.  It is a firwmare bug.  If you take a pcap and also turn debuging on you will not see 2833 send all of the digits.  Debug syslog does not even show the digit as being pressed.  We have multiple customer complaining about this.  It does not happen on all phones running 7.5.5 firware either.  As soon as I downgrade to 7.5.2b dtmf works.  I then upgraded to 7.5.5 from 7.5.2b and the issue came back.

You hit - it doesn't happen on all phones running 7.5.5 firmware. So the firmware bug manifests itself only with particular configuration. Problem needs to be analyzed in full if you are wishing the Cisco will pick problem here. You need to found difference between those phones with 7.5.5 that works and those devices with 7.5.5 firmware that doesn't work.

But don't overestimate the power of this forum. Even when problem become fully analyzed, your's chances the problem will be picked here by Cisco are rather low.

You need to buy service contract to be authorized to report Cisco's product bug to Cisco. Unbelievable approach, but it's Cisco way.

Hi Dan / thechet69,

Many thanks for the replies on this. Will be onsite tomorrow so will conduct some tests and update!