cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Feature Request: Reserved addresses in DHCP

tom
Level 1
Level 1

Considering that the UC320W is supposed to control the network it would be nice if you could assign reservations in DHCP.

I believe you can do this in some of the consumer products, like the Linksys E3000.

The user see's the list of DHCP leases and can click a check box to make sure that device reserves that IP address.

Then, in port forwarding you can select the device from a drop down list and setup any port forwarding you may need.

4 Replies 4

nalbert
Level 4
Level 4

Tom,

In the LAN section you could assign the IP address range. The Default range is 192.168.10.11 to 192.168.10.240. This means that 192.168.10.2 to 192.168.10.10 and from .240 to .254 are reserved. If you need more IPs then you could just reduce the range? Let me know if this works for you.

Navin Albert

Thanks Navin.

What I am looking for is for the UC320 to still assign through DHCP, however when you "Reserve" the ip address it knows to always assign that address to that device, based on the MAC address.

This eliviates the need for static IP addresses and the potential conflicts from them, but allows the user the flexibility to forward ports to a specific machine easily and not worry about the IP changing.

rbordner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tom,
Thanks for your feedback on DHCP reservation per MAC address.   Your feedback has been captured and added to product enhancement list for the UC320W.

I think this is an excellent idea that eliminates the need to manually assign static IPs on each device but set it up for the devices in a central point in UC320w to always assign a specified IP to a specific MAC address.

And while at it, coin a technical name for this method.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: