cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Setting up our Demo of CallConnector

invtechnologies
Level 1
Level 1

We have a UC540 system that we are setting up with the "The Office" demo.  Already have the phones and users setup, but we would also like to demo the full CallConnector - both operator and user with a server for presense.

To help limit the number of physical or virtual machines that we need to take to a demo, what is the best way to acheive this?

It is my understanding that you cannot run both the operator and personal communicator on the same machine.  Can you run the server and personal communicator on the same box?

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
It is my understanding that you cannot run both the operator and  personal communicator on the same machine.  

This would be correct

Can you run the server and  personal communicator on the same box?

Yes and No, 2008R2 will do it with the occasional issues, but on 2003 SBS we had some really unusual problems, I think this is because the SIP instances are already running with the Presence server, maybe it is not supposed to work, but it has .

The other way to do it is run 3 separate instances on the system, to do this you would need a powerful laptop with 2008 running in 64Bit so you can run at least 8 Gig of Ram (2X 4GB Sticks) which is the maximum that the higher end laptops will rung, and then you rune two OS instances....

I am not a Windows admin so I couldn't tell you how it is done, but will try and get a basic tutorial of my guy so I can get this to you, but I learnt this the hard way, every time I tried to install Console when the client was installed, both of them were stuffed and I had to uninstall both of them and start again

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Do you have to use Server 2003 or 2008 for the OS for server, or can it run on Windows XP/7?

No that's a damn good question

I DON'T KNOW!!! LOL

Windows 7 might be able to do it, possibly professional or Ultimate edition, but yeah never tried it, and you have me curious now

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Found the following in the v2.1 admin guide.

1.6 Supported Windows Platforms

The following Windows operating systems and application versions are supported by the CallConnector Server.

Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 2008 Server and Windows 2008 Web Server. The Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7.0 or 8.0 is also required to be installed on the Server PC.

Looks like we are good to go with Windows 7!

Make sure you install this version "Cisco_SCC_Server_2.01.010"

This is the most stable version I have used

Cheers,

David.

looks like you have a newer one than I do....  We only have access to 2.0.0.89b since it is the only one that is not a "locked" download.

DOH!!!

I wouldn't be using that version, that was the first one I tried and it was more bugged out than a fly squatter

Hmmmm I have no way of getting it to you, it is too large to e-mail and I don't have a FTP server to access at the moment to host it for you.

Contact your Cisco REP and ask them either for access to download it, or for them to get it to you.

Cheers,

David.

Robert Prideaux
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

am no help with the CC questions; but a laptop with 8GB's will run just about any available Virtual desktop app?

There are a bunch; but for solid support then the VMware product is good; there is also an Apple centric product called Parallel's - have used it on a Mac desktop (for Win 7) and it is fine. There was Xen - another great product - but Citrix bought it out and made it far too expensive...

Basically whatever you feel suits (even a (Ptoooey) Apple laptop will get you going; worst case (from a work overhead in setup)- you can install Hyper-V or the "free" version of ESXi, which means multiple server instances (mixed with desktops) on a laptop has been done... and it is pretty straightforward.

invtechnologies
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what we ended up doing.....

Setup a basic Windows 7 PC to run the server application

Setup the client directly on my windows 7 laptop

Setup the operator in Windows XP Mode on my laptop

This enabled us to have everything with just 2 machines.  We could probably virtualize the server on my laptop as well, but I did not have the time to setup and test that configuration.

Once the Operator was setup in XP Mode, we were able to run it as a Virtual App directly from the Windows 7 desktop so it looked just like any other Window.

Although it is not an ideal solution, it did get the job done.  For the future we will either purchase a "micro" box to run the server (to save space) or virtualize the server on the laptop.

Also thinking about removing the server component all together.  see:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3409536#3409536

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: