cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Java and CCA 2.0

mantis32
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a known issue between Java Version 6 Update 14 and CCA 2.0?

When I launch CCA 2.0, the welcome sound plays and it connects to my UC520. As soon as I click any of the to configure. As it loads the configuration it errors out with a java lang error usually around 60% or 100%

java.lang.NullPointerException

Anyone come across this or have any insight?

30 Replies 30

Anyone?!

SIGH!!!!

Hi Mantis,

I can sense the frustration in you, maybe cause i have been in your position many times allready.

One thing i have noticed is that Manual Upgrades of the system are not heavily promoted on here, and i think that is becuase a fair bit of time and effort has gone into CCA to assist everyone who works with the UC500 systems, thus making sure that people learn and come to understnad how it works and its limitations.

The only thing i can advise you on is how to upgrade the IOS via the CLI which is not at all that hard:

1. Download the latest IOS release and upload it to the flash memory
  2. Delete the old one
  3. Reload the system

However keep this in mind, by doing this you should make a full backup of your Config before doing so, you should also be aware that if you upgrading from a really old IOS (Maybe the original one used) then some of the code may not be compatible or have issues with the latest IOS (KEEP THIS IN MIN).

When using CCA to do the upgrade (Assuming the system was first configured by CCA with no custom CLI code), then it will know what to change and where to change it with the upgrade proceedure, on the other hand you doing it manually need to know what will work and what wont, unfortunantly i cant tell you this i dont know.

I wont go into how to upgrade the CUE on here, for a few reasons but in particular it is a longer process and many.. MANY things can go wrong and i dont want to be responsible for your system being nuked by my instructions, i am happy to noose myself and nuke my own systems but not willing to go that far on someone elses.

If you are going to do and upgrade via CLI of your CUE, PLEASE..PLEASE..PLEASE log into the Web UI and make a full backup of your CUE before you do anything, at least this way a restoration is possible.

Also please make sure you are using CCA-2.0.1

Sorry i could not be of anymore help.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.  Use this document to get the CCA logs.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9559

Mantis,

Check this thread for upgrading the CUE and CME via CLI;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3091869#3091869

Also, I´ve had some issues with java and Cisco as well. I use Java 6 update 5.

Regards

Eivind

mantis32
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to solve this problem via the CCA and upgrade via the CCA. Once that is accomplished, I'll go ahead and wipe the config and start over purely using the CCA paying special care to any configuration changes done via the CLI. My interest in troubleshooting this upgrade before wiping is purely to simulate a client situation where the option to wipe their config just to do an upgrade isn't an option.

I went ahead and generated the log and have pasted it. Goal is to upgrade via the GUI, if that truly doesn't work or can no longer be done, then I'll go the CLI route. I know I'm not the first facing space issues when trying to upgrade the box which has a small CF card in it.

See attached

Hi Eugene,

This error here makes me nervous:

220.178 com.cisco.nm.lib.cmdsvc.OpEnterBladeSession.invoke(OpEnterBladeSession.java:64) [ERROR] WARNING: OpEnterBladeSession: old prompt 'UC520#' and new prompt 'UC520#' are identical
com.cisco.nm.lib.cmdsvc.CmdSvcException: Current platform 'IOS' does not match expected platform 'com.cisco.cpnm.frmwrk.net.cmdsvc.CUEPlatform2@1ee5bed'.
Failed to session into the service blade.

Prior to this error it was able to log in, and below this error it was able to log in, from what i read of it, unless ofcourse i am reading it wrong.

Can i ask, is the config on the system now the standard config? Has it been modified in anyway?

So just to rehash (And i know some people dont like to do this) you did the following?

• Tried to upgrade the IOS on its own (Using either 7.0.3 or 7.1.1EA Versions)
  • You also tried to do the CUE upgrade on its own?
  • You chose the option to format the flash and reset to factory defaults?

You shouldnt be having these troubles, however can you tell me the following please:

• Wht OS are you running (XP, Vista, Windows-7)
  • What version of Java are you currently using?
  • Are you plugged directly into the UC-500, and if not can you try it using port 7 (Or port 8 how ever see the ports)
  • What firewalls, antivirus, antispam are you currently running on the system

I know you have been allready told this or asked it, but have you tried it from another system, and have you made sure all the NIC cards on the system have been disabled (Not just "not in use" but actually fully disabled)?

Can you provide some screen shots of any error dialogue boxes that show up? Also do any of the Monitoring section on CCA lockup after you have loaded it up and logged into the UC-500? What i mean by locking up, is that it says it is trying to retrieve Data and just stays on that and does not move from it.

I am really keen to see this problem of yours resolved, for the interest of myself, yours and i guess many others.

(PS) I admire your willingness to stick with it and get to the bottom of the problem, you can bet it will help you out immensly later on down the track, you would have learned what others avoided ;)

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

So just to rehash (And i know some people dont like to do this) you did the following?

• Tried to upgrade the IOS on its own (Using either 7.0.3 or 7.1.1EA Versions)   - tried 7.0.3
  • You also tried to do the CUE upgrade on its own? - tried that too
  • You chose the option to format the flash and reset to factory defaults? - tried that too

You shouldnt be having these troubles, however can you tell me the following please:

• Wht OS are you running (XP, Vista, Windows-7) - XP SP2
  • What version of Java are you currently using? - Java Version 6 Update 14
  • Are you plugged directly into the UC-500, and if not can you try it using port 7 (Or port 8 how ever see the ports) - I'm connected to the back of the phone 7970
  • What firewalls, antivirus, antispam are you currently running on the system -  ASA 5510, Symantec (disabled), Cisco Anti-SPAM

I know you have been allready told this or asked it, but have you tried it from another system, and have you made sure all the NIC cards on the system have been disabled (Not just "not in use" but actually fully disabled)? - no tyet, but I will try. Doesn't take much to have only one nic running. i have a switch to disable the wireless.

Screenshot attached. I get the same regardless of IOS or ALL

For CUE I got Cannot retrieve CUE version information.

Hi Eugene,

Screenshot attached. I get the same regardless of IOS or ALL

For CUE I got Cannot retrieve CUE version information.

I know this is probably frustrating you to know end, but stick with it :)

OK assuming you set this device up using CCA to begin with, your system should be at default config.

Steps:

1. Log into the WEB GUI on http://10.1.10.1 and go to administration and control panel, then save the CUE and the CME, then choose the option to reloa the CUE.
  2. session into the CUE via the command line Router# service-module intergrated-service-engine0/0 session
  3. log into the CUE and then do a show run, capture the running config and post the text file (Please removeanys esative data).

Can you also try the following please:

• Plug directly in the UC-500 and not through a phone, we need to work on the device by being plugge directly into it to remove any points of failure (I.E Phone)
  • If you are able to reset the system back to factory default, go to the 7.0.3 folder and tftp to the flash card (Or use a flash card reader) the .cfg file that suits your system, then copy it over to start-up  "copy start-up then reload the system. This will put your system back to factory defaults.

In all of this pelase make sure you make a backup of yoru CUE and the CME, the CUE you can do via the Web GUI using a TFTP program (3CDAEMON is highly recommended), and the CME running config can be done via CLI using putty and appending the "sh run" to a txt file.

If we bring everything back to the begining and start from a fresh we might be able to narrow down on the problem.

Cheers,

David.

OK! I would like to give it a rest. Start over...blow the config and upgrade, then reconfigure.

What's the best route to take?

Eugene,

Launch CCA and go to maintnance tab, reset the UC to factory default, you can also upgrade from here.

Regards

Eivind

I couldn't factory reset from the GUI...so I did it from the CLI.

Reset CUE - service-module Integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session

and

Reset CME - copy flash:UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-7.0.2.cfg startup-config

did a reload when complete

I plugged my laptop into port 7 on the unit, connected CCA and got the same error as posted earlier when trying to do an upgrade.

which java version are you running?

Regards

Eivind

Same as original post;  Java Version 6 Update 14

Finally got it going on a third machine over the network with multiple nics going. Strange. I stopped it before it started the update and did it with one nic and with the image sitting on the local HD.

Sad that I had to blow my custom config. Interested to see how far I can get with the GUI.

It looks like the CUE is not responding or is in a bad state.  It might be best to try to restart CUE.

service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 reset

Give it about 5-10 minutes, then try again.