Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

LLDP MED for SPA5xx phones and network changes

I have implemented LLDP MED for Voice VLAN number discovery,  this works great at phone start up or after a factory reset.

The question  I am trying to find the answer it the following:

If a customer LAN changes (ex: voice VLAN moves from 500 to 6000),  does the phone react to the LLDP Med Notify and re do a DHCP request on the new voice VLAN ?

So far it does not seem to work.

I have found in a cisco document  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk652/tk701/technologies_white_paper0900aecd804cd46d.html

the following statement

" Transmit frame on local MIB change-If one of the settings in the local MIB changes, then LLDP-MED immediately transmits a message. This is useful because it reduces the time needed for synchronization. For example, if a VLAN is administratively changed, LLDP-MED transmits this change immediately to phones"

When testing,  I do see LLDP message exchanges notifying the end point that the VLAN has changed,  but the phone does not react to it.   A Reset does not work either.

Will continue to test,  but if you have a quick answer,  it would be appreciated

thanks

2 REPLIES
Community Member

Hi, I'm not sure how the phones are supposed to react, but would be interested to know.

Are these phones POE? Have you tried shutting the port to kill power to the phone which would / should trigger the boot up process i.e, Voice VLAN, DHCP.

Community Member

phone tested are spa525g and g2 and they are PoE.

Restart, power on and off does not trigger a VLAN re discovery via LLDP MED

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content