cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max number of analog extensions on UC560

Hensell Harris
Level 1
Level 1

What is the max number of analog extensions that could be configured on a UC560?  We have a customer who wants with move from a Mitel system with almost 40 analog phones.  They all go to small cabins hundreds of yards from the main building, so there's no way to move many of these to IP phone sets.

I believe the answer is 32-- using 8 FXS ports on the UC chassis, and 3 SPA 8000's with 8 FXS ports each.  I've been told by someone that only 2 SPA 8000s are officially supported, and I've also been told by David Hornstein that the VG224 is definitely not supported by SBCS.

So is the max analog FXS lines 32?  Can more SPA8000s be used, or is there a new device out there that can support more analog lines?

thanks!

Hensell

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think you should definitely use the VG224 for scalability, robustness, and feature richness. There is also a pack of 4 boxes priced as 3, for high density analog deployments -VG224-4PACK.

I had tried the SPA800 few years ago and was very disappointed by the overall HW+SW quality that in my opinion doesn't qualify even for consumer-grade device. Moreover, the SPA doesn't support SCCP, but all the nice FAC-based features for analog phones are SCCP based.

Regarding support configurations oustide the "SBCS envelope", you can read and opine in the dedicated threads. All what I want to say here, is that many things that IOS software is designed to do, cannot be done with imposed limits, and at the end of they day, that impacts on partner's success.

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

If you are going by what is supported, the limit is one SPA8000.  You can also verify that with David Hornstein.

Hensell Harris
Level 1
Level 1

I think I had that wrong-- I meant 1 SPA8000 was officially supported but my organization was allowing the use of 2 (not 3).  Which would be a total of 16 + 8 or 24 ports, not 32.

We sure are seeing a lot of small hospital & hospitality opportunities in addition to this one where an anlog solution for > 24 are sorely needed.

Since using a VG224 requires CLI and not CCA, you would need to get the Cisco Ex-UC cert to be supported by TAC.  BTW the VG224 is around 4-5k and the 4 pack is around 15k.  If you buy 40 SPA502's at around 100 a piece it would equal one VG224. 

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Hansell,

A UC-560 can support 12 FXS ports, but that is on the assumption you can still buy a VIC2-4FXS card.

With the latest CCA you should be able to support multiple SPA-8000 series, and they are more than suitable with the latest firmware for them.

But putting Mitel phones onto a Cisco?? YUK!!!!

So just to ask right, there is no CAT-5 cabling to any of these cabins hey?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Oh and one last thing to consider Hansell,

If you want to go the VG series, you should then maybe consider something like the CMBE-3000 series, that might be more appropriate then if it supports it, and the costs differences to a UC-560 is not significant to warrant not looking at it

Just a thought.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *