Views
Helpful
Replies

Mediatrix on a public IP address?

Matthew Needs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is it recommended to apply a public IP address to a Mediatrix box in conjunction with a UC320 rollout? I don't want to double NAT any IP traffic. What are the security implications of having a Mediatrix box on a public IP address? If it can be done, what are your recommendations for a secure installation?

Do you still have to connect the mediatrix WAN side? I'd prefer to connect it to the LAN...

Any input greatly received.

Thanks a lot

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Matt,

Yes, I would lock down access to the Mediatrix, otherwise you may find yourself as the target of toll fraud.  SIP access should only be to/from the UC320 from the Mediatrix perspective.  We are looking at the ability to configure the UC320W purely as an appliance in a future feature release (uncommitted). 

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Matthew Needs
Level 1
Level 1

Just to make myself a bit clearer.. I dont want to host the Mediatrix remotely or anything silly like that . I just dont want to have a router in front of the UC320 natting as well as the UC. So I was thinking why not configure the ADSL router as "No-NAT" with a range of public IP addresses. One for the UC and one for the mediatrix?

Unless I can connect the Mediatrix on the inside of the UC?

Any thoughts? Someone must have an opinion out there..

Thanks a lot

Matt

Hi Matt,

You can connect the Mediatrix on the lan side of the UC320.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi,

We recommend and test with the Mediatrix sitting WAN side.  The reason being, is that we use a SIP trunk to the Mediatrix.  We expect all SIP trunks to be accessed over the WAN port.

Chris

Thanks to both for the replies.. I think we'll stick to the recommended solution even though it seems to work connected to the LAN. Just for future reference it would be easier if we could connect the mediatrix to the LAN side. Mainly because double NAT is not recommended and many small customers don't have more than one public IP address.

Chris - Does this mean you wouldn't have a problem with a public IP address on a mediatrix box then? I guess it's a standard SIP device with regards to securing it.. I.e have a locked down firewall between the mediatrix and the web & use strong passwords?.

Your confirmation would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes, I would lock down access to the Mediatrix, otherwise you may find yourself as the target of toll fraud.  SIP access should only be to/from the UC320 from the Mediatrix perspective.  We are looking at the ability to configure the UC320W purely as an appliance in a future feature release (uncommitted). 

Chris

Sound good. Thanks Chris!

Matt