cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move configuration from one UC540 to another UC540

Gary Cosgrove
Level 1
Level 1

What's the best/proper/correct way to replace a UC540 that has a defective port with another exact unit?  IE:  How do I move the configuration/voicemails, etc?

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Gary,

Having done this now a few times I am happy to provide to you the way I did it to ensure it worked with minimal problems:

• Upgrade your existing system to the latest software pack using CCA
  • Use CCA to make a backup of the current system
  • As a backup measure to CCA copy the CME running configuration to a txt file using CLI (Assuming you know CLI)
  • As a backup measure to CCA copy the CUE running configuration to a txt fule using CLI by means of sessioning into it, although this will not save any deposited voice mails, but is useful as a last measure if all other methods fail
  • Take receivership of the new system and make sure you upgrade it to the latest software pack for both CME and CUE, you can get the latest one from HERE
  • Use CCA to restore the backup which should cover both the CME side and the CUE side

As a foot note please make sure when using CCA that you have all adapters turned off (Other than the one you are using) and ensure that you are plugged in directly into the UC500 if applicable and not through a switch, and further to that as a backup precaution consider turning of the firewall on the system such as windows or other third-party one, they can interfere with the backup process and at times may even corrupt the data but CCA is not aware of this happening, so best practices would be to use a fresh system that is bare bones with nothing on it but this is not always practical.

I hope this helps you out

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

Thanks for the input, but I'm not sure how to actually backup and then restore to a different UC540 using CCA.

According to the documentation:

To Restore a Configuration from a Backup
     IMPORTANT You can only restore a configuration to the same UC500 hardware
     on which you performed the backup. Configuration migration between two
     separate UC500 systems is not supported.

Is there another command in CCA that allows a Backup/Restore to different UC540s?

Thanks.

Gary

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Gary,

The documentation Is a bit of an oxymoron to be frank with you. In previous versions of CCA this was never a problem, I simply cannot see any reason or justification for this to have been locked down to only working with the same Serial# appliance, it would be idiotic and defeat the purpose of having a backup system.

There could only be one practical reason for this and that is transferring of the license from one system to another, but this is a no brainer and can easily be done within CCA anyway... MEH!! But enough from me on that

So here are your options then:

1. Contact SBS Support and get them to do it and make sure they send you out an advance replacement so it can all be done seamlessly, If you are disabled from doing it then the burden of responsibility falls squarely on them to do it, in theory this should be your first option always anyway.

2. Do it all via CLI and be prepared to loose any saved voice mails and the possibility of having to do some minor reconfiguration to the system, although we should still be able to do an FTP backup though of the CUE which might save everything.

Make sure you call SBS Support Gary and get them to help out with it, it may save you a bad headache and a long day.

(PS) Cisco please confirm if the backup procedure cannot be done from one system to another, with the intervention if support, I want to know if your being Indian givers again

Cheers,

David.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

David, I have sent the request to Engineering team to determine if the backup/restore is limited to the same SN.

It's the weekend so I haven't heard back yet. I will update the post as soon as I hear.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Steve,

David, I have sent the request to Engineering team to determine if the backup/restore is limited to the same SN.

It's the weekend so I haven't heard back yet.  I will update the post as soon as I hear.

It is Monday morning already here C'mon catchup already will ya

I figured I wouldn't get a response till maybe Tue/Wed my time anyway so it wasn't a hurry, I figured if Gay calls support anyway they can do the license transferred if required, but I am fairly certain in the previous version of CCA it recognized this and did it itself, well that is what happened with 3 RMA's that I had to do which were CCA deployments with the UC-540.

Anyway I am happy to wait for the answer and I thank you for taking this up with them Steve.... Much appreciated.

Cheers,

David.

I just found this in the ADMIN Guide, page 113:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_configuration_assistant/version3_0_1/administration_guide/cca_301_sbcs_admin_guide.pdf

STEP 5     Click OK. To Restore a Configuration from a Backup

***IMPORTANT You can only restore a configuration to the same UC500 hardware on which you performed the backup. Configuration migration between two separate UC500 systems is not supported.

EDIT UPDATE 4/18: 14:38PM EST (Steve)

Just got off the phone with the CCA Engineer who worked on migration back in CCA 1.5.   He said this should be supported provided the SKUs are the same.

So backing up from one unit to another, as in the case of RMA should work.   If it is being blocked by CCA, I will need a case #.

We are requesting the Doc writer to remove that restriction from the admin guide as well.

Message was edited by: Steven DiStefano

Hi Steve,

Thank you for following this up, just a couple of notes on this though

You were able to do this even on the 2.X versions, but it was caveat with a notation that it must be within the same SKU, and this completely makes sense, so I was a little bewildered when reading that statement as at first impression it would mean that Cisco took a back step instead of moving forward.

However one issue that still needs to be addressed is being able to make a backup of a configuration say from a 520/540 and be able to successfully migrate it to a 560 in the event that a client has to upgrade from growth, and again this should be able to be done using CCA without having to resort to CLI, is this something that could be considered as well?

Well I guess Gary has his answer now wich was the point of the thread

Cheers,

David.

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Gary,

Here is a quick video on how to restore your backed up configuration.

How to restore a backed up configuration of UC500 from CCA  (Two different UC540's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3weDV_DAZM

Subscribe Here

http://www.youtube.com/user/CiscoTEEteam