Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-site without WAN Interface

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I have a client interested in the UC systems, and I see the multi-site docs talk about using the WAN interface of the UC's. I would like to get information on the setup of two UC540's (25 user, 15users) over a WAN where it is connected to other gear.

I hope this is possible, if so what functionality and features do I loose in htis config?

Are there any tech docs on this type of setup?

Thanks in advance,

Bob James

21 Replies 21

TEHO is

Tail End Hop Off.

Calls from site A use the PSTN trunks at site B.

Thanks Steven,

So is a UC520-40-60 at a central site and a 2901 ISR CME/SRST 25 Uer at a remote site supported? And is it managible via CCA, or are you saying a CME ISR to CME ISR is the only option?

Thanks,

Bob

UC500's with an ISR is not supported, but it should work.  It is not manageable in CCA.  You can create multisite configurations on the UC500, but it will not configure the ISR's.

For support, ISR to ISR would be the way to go.

OK,

I'm confused now Marcos said it is possible just difficult, yet the recommendations are go Business or ISR.....

Am I trying to exceed the capabilities of the UC500 system or just CCA?

If it is an IPSEC tunnel between the two UC's does it do both Voice and Data, if yes what is the reserved bandwidth on the link for QoS VoIP?

To take this further, if I am able to get Site to Site tunnel between the two sites via the WAN port, how is internet access handled? As well as VPN client to Internet; for client is it hairpinned back out the interface? And for site to site does it hairpin as well at the central site?

I've attached a diagram

Good afternoon Bob,

Thanks for the diagram.  Is this a private WAN?  If so, do you still want to have a VPN between?

Yes, you can simply perform static routing for Internet access.  According to the diagram, the UC500 would simply route to the Internet router.  Return traffic would be routed back to the UC500 and then to the clients.

I think we are all saying the same thing here, is that what you want to do with the UC500 series is possible, but not suggested or possible with the CCA management tool. There have been quite a few things mentioned in this posting ... centralized or de-centralized call processing, vpns with and without the WAN interface etc ...

Furthermore, since CLI is required for some of the customization mentioned here, and it is not supported by our Small Biz Support Center (SBSC) on the UC540 and UC560, it would be best to use a UC520 for this install. With the UC520, you can get pretty involved with the CLI and still fall within a supported install

I would hate to see you deploy something that is not supported ... Does all of this make sense? 

Do please respond to let me, kindest regards,

Andrew

Yes Thank You Andrew, this is what I thought.

I am working with the client now to determine if we can do a site to site over this private link. Yes it is private and VPN would not be my first choice, but as you mentioned we want a good known supported configuration. This is only part of the proposal so the Small Business Pro support is important.

I do wish to keep this a supported configuration so I am going through the pros and cons of using "your" design best practice for this deployment with the customer.

Thanks to all respondents

Bob James

TEHO = Tail End Hop Off.

This is the ability to avoid toll charges and have your calls traverse the WAN and 'tail end hop off' to the local carrier.  What you are looking for ...

Do please check that recording ... I think you will like it.

Afterwards, use the info from that recording and think of the calling patterns for your customer and what is required.  For most companies, the majority of their calling is in a distributed manner.

If a distributed calling model works, and if redundancy is required, then I would suggest the CME platform.  Not to state the obvious or anything but ... redundancy has its costs.  A trade off if you will, ... more expensive but redundant.

If redundancy does not fit into their budget or they are not interested, then your install could be achived via a UC500.

The Business Edition (BE) is also great for smaller deployments and offers redundancy.  BE offers centralized call processing ... so again, when you examine the customer's calling, this will help you choose the right model and product.

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz