cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Paging through phones and external simultaneously on UC560

David Schau
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new install that just threw me a bit of a twist.  They would like to page through both the phones and an old external paging system.  I have previously used an interface between an FXO port and external paging on CUCM and CUMBE with an adapter and an access code to hit the FXP port but I am not sure if I can do both on the UC560 for the same paging code. 

Anyone here ever had any success doing both?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK guys,

Here is how to make it work.  I'm using a Valcom VIP-201 SIP paging system (2.19 firmware) and a UC520 with the latest code.

The UC500 uses multicasting for it's paging functionality, so the config would look something like this (after configuring through CCA):

ephone-dn  48

number 106 no-reg primary

description IP-Paging6

name Test2

paging ip 239.1.1.6 port 2000

!

The Valcom unit has the ability to listen on a custom multicast address.....so, I just configure a Valcom audio group with 239.1.1.6:2000 as the listen address, and BAM!  paging on phones and speakers.  I can even do up to four different multicast groups on this model.

Cool stuff.

Let me know if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

37 Replies 37

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi David,

Not sure if this could be done with CCA, but you could put them into a blast group (Which probably only can be done via CLI, unless I'm wrong)

Just did this for a client 3 days ago, they wanted to page to the phones and the outdoor paging system which operates through the FXS port, managed to get it to work, not sure how reliable it is though as it has not been used much since they have not fully opened yet, but there is some delays in clearing down the FXS port, could probably overcome it with some minor configuration on the Powered LIU.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I can see that method would probably work and that's about the direction I thought I'd need to go.  But I have a couple of concerns here, first off I have not discovered a paging interface for this old system that could use an FXS port but maybe one exists.  Second is the clearing of the FXS port, I had come across a couple of comments where that can become a problem on the UC500 where the ports get hung.

I guess start with the station side interface and give it a try..

Thanks,

Dave

Based on the documentaton for the paging system you may need to configure the fxs port accordingly for e.g. loop start vs ground start, etc.

-Marvin

Hi David,

first off I have not discovered a paging interface for this old system that could use an FXS port but maybe one exists.

You need a powered LIU (Line Isolation Unit). Outside of the country I am in I am doubtful that I can help you find one, but you need to fine one that clears the port down on silence, this is the only way I have been able to get it to work with some certain degree of success, lately I have found a brilliant unit that does do it and made a post about it on the forums here.

As soon as CCA supports SIP end points I will be moving over to SIP based paging systems, right now the only way to get them to work is via CLI and you will get no joy from SBS on that, so not worth the effort.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I did a short test in on my lab system without a real paging interface via CCA with a blast group pointed to the analog extension and the paging group.  What I found in my testing was if I went off hook immediately on the FXS port the call blast sent the call there but did not activate the phone paging group.  If I paused after the ring the IPphones got the page but because the call was accepted by the paging group it was not on the FXS port.  This does make some sense to me as how a call blast would behave.  That is unless there is something extra in the CLI that I am not aware of.

Any thoughts?

As you says that makes sense, because if you have FXS these do not guarantee how fast they can reply, while the the IP phone do immediately.

A more reasonable test would be using an FXO or E&M interface.

I have done paging through FXO before by just setting an access code to grab the line, worked fine.  But I don't see how I can setup to make both external paging and through phones work at the same time regardless ofhow I could interface to the paging system.

I haven't tried this, but what about and E&M port in SCCP mode ?

Just trying to be creative here.

Hi David,

This is where it would get complicated and not quite sure why you would want to go down this path, but then again its quite silly of me to say that as I often put myself in these situations anyway

If you need to go down the FXO path, then you will need to create a DN with a permanent CFWall on it pointing to the pilot number you created for the Paging system (Be it a dial-peer or other), you would then place that created DN and also the paging/intercom DN in the blast group.

However either method of doing it will still result in some lag/delay in the FXS or FXO port blasting the call, you would need to train the people using this method to wait 1 second (At least) before they announce.

I am still trying to find out why there is not a Line-in port on the UC-500, me thinks if they put it right next to the MOH port or heck even make the MOH port a configurable line-in port if the MOH part is not being used, this way we increase our ability to integrate into pre-historic paging system much easier as we can use an RCA-3.5mm converter

Anyway before you dig a big hole for yourself, think about what you are doing and see if the client is willing to look at other options.

Cheers,

David.

Always down to earth advice from David, rated.

David - Good suggestions and I also don't understand the lack of a paging interface (maybe contact closure?) on a small system - Cisco PM are you listening?

I can probably get a workable interface for either FXS of FXO from a company I have used before here in the states. I did some looking and the interface I'd use has the abiltity to clear on silence as well as some other timers so I think releasing shouldn't be an issue.

What concerns me is the ability to lead with a blast group and get both to answer so the page goes out both phones and paging system.  If you think of it a blast group should ring multiple lines and when someone answers thay have the call, right?  So how can both the page group and FXS (or forward to FXO) take the call so the page goes out both?  I can't see a way to get that piece to work but maybe I'm missing something..  My testing on a lab box confirmed this I could not see how to get both connected when the blast dn was dialed.

Hi David,

So how can both the page group and FXS (or forward to FXO) take the call so the page goes out both?

The only way I see this being configurable is to do it via CLI, I tried everything myself yesterday, and I point out that things didn't quite work the way I had theorized they would

I think I need to spend some more time on this, the issue is spending LAB time is not something I can do on work time unless it is a very slow day at work, and I don't have a LAB system at home either.

If either one of us find the most smoothest solution on how to achieve this, we should post the method for the benefits of others, but I am determined now to find a way to do this.

Cheers,

David.

[PS] In my previous post I stated Line-In port, when in fact it needs to be a Line-Out port. But my comment still stands, it would be could for it to be a configurable port though

David Schau
Level 1
Level 1

If either of us or someone else can come up a workable solution I would have to believe others have or will run into the same scenario so posting a solution would be in the spirit of sharing solutions here.  Funny I learned today that the smaller UC320 has a built in paging interface.

I certainly apprecaite your feedback and thoughts on this it has been helpful to me.

Heheheheheh

Funny I learned today that the smaller UC320 has a built in paging interface.

I know I was so excited when I seen this... I knew straight away that this was one major headache out of the way, although I have not set one up yet, I couldn't imagine it to be hard.

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: