Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone load upload fails in UC540

madisontmajor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

This happens to me from time to time and I was wondering if someone can explain why.

When I try to upload my phone firmware, I download the zipfile, unzip and drag the .bin file to the UC540 icon in CCA 3.1(1). The TFTP upload begins then fails after a few minutes stating:

Error: File Upload For input string: "bt".

or

Error: File Upload For input string: "SPA525".

I have a feeling it might have something to do with my tftp connectivity but I can ping my loopback network (10.1.10.2) from the admin machine (server 2003) and from the UC540.

I am using the latest IOS and the phones in question are the SPA525G2s. Shortly before this happened I uploaded new firmware for my SPA504Gs using the same method and it worked without error.

Thanks is advance.

5 Replies 5

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Madison,

Couple of questions:

1. Are you connected directly to the UC? If not can you please try it being connected into a spare port or through the back of a phone that is directly connected to the UC.
  2. Is your firewall turned off? If not turn it off even though you might have exceptions in place, the UAC causes all sorts of issues with CCA
  3. Please make sure you have disabled any antivirus, turning it might not be suffice, shutting it down is best
  4. Make sure you have no other TFTP or even FTP service/server running on that PC or network

In theory you should have to do any of this, it should work, but when it doesn't and you do some basic stuff you tend to find that it does work

On the staging bench, I always used a vanilla flavoured windows XP maching with nothing installed and I mean nothing, no firewalls and no AV and everything else stripped away, this was the only way I could be sure that CCA would behave itself...

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

majid omeir
Level 1
Level 1

ur issue is well known bug even if Cisco does not say it

as you said u uploadedSPA50X without any problem but SPA525 has problem .

by the way did u checked the flash even after the error the file  is uploaded to flash  and the tftp command has been added but in telephony services section the command load has not been added so just add this command by checking

tftp urfile location as XXXX

add the command load in telephony using the XXX , it will work i have suffered the same .

regards,

Jontheuser
Level 1
Level 1

Error: File Upload For input string: "bt"

Remove 'bt' from the phone firmware file name, e.g. 7-4-9bt.bin to 7-4-9.bin

Thanks for the replies. I figured this out late Friday night and thought I would post the solution. Initially the first thing I tried was removing the "bt" from the file name, but then the system gave me nearly the same error saying that SPA525" was an invalid input string.

I did notice that even though I was receiving errors the files were being uploaded (as majid omeir said); however the system was not recognizing them as new phone loads.

I did some more research and found that the error was a java exception that was being thrown as it tried to resolve the file name to a numerical value. After much trial and error the only soluton I could fine was to delete the full file name and then name it SPA525-7-4-9.bin. For some reason this worked where just removing the "bt" did not seem to work.

I confirmed this solution on a few different installs.

My question is, if all my installs were giving me the same issue then this is obviously a code issue and it must be inpacting all users of CCA. Does Cisco not test the phone load upload process before making these updates available? It seems like this problem should have been caught.

Hi Madison,

My question is, if all my installs were giving me the same issue then  this is obviously a code issue and it must be inpacting all users of  CCA. Does Cisco not test the phone load upload process before making  these updates available? It seems like this problem should have been  caught. 

A valid question

I have learnt that not ever CCA installation base is the same, and the variations in Java installs can have an impact on this as well, so does the operating system and how CCA was initially installed.

One thing I did learn to do, was to never upgrade CCA, always download a fresh copy, uninstall the old one and use something like CCLEANER to remove registry entries, and then delete all folders relating to CCA with the exception of the config.assist folder, which contains any backups you have made, put this on the desktop and then manually copy the backups over to the new folder created.... This has been the only way I have managed to get CCA to work consistently, otherwise I have mad annoying and disturbing issues just doing a plain upgrade.

Just a thought

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: