Views
Helpful
Replies

PSTN Incoming call issue

Elijah Sinyama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

specifically maybe Marcos can help me here.

We have a UC520 with 3 pstn trunk lines plugged into the UC520's fxo ports. We have Cisco IP Phones 521S for all our extensions including the reception. We recently upgraded from a PABX platfrom. Previously (with the PABX that is) a phone call would come in at the "console terminal" or reception main phone and be transfered easily to any extension and while the extension is still engaged on a call the reception could recieve another call to a maximum of three concurent calls. But ever since we upgraded to the UC520w, we can only recieve one incoming call and we have selected one particular IP phone 521S to act as a reciever for incoming calls. While this incoming call is still in session on whatever extension, the corporate line will appear enganged to outsiders trying to reach us. All the three pstn lines from our service provider are under one number that is 3xx xxxx here in botswana. The pstn lines were working fine as separate lines on the PABX system. Is there any special configuration or we need a special ip phone for the reception?

Thank you for your help.

Elijah

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You have a wiring issue, I am almost positive.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

A CP-521 will not work in this scenario. This is a single line phone, able to handle 2 calls total. This "2 calls" statement includes situations like when you want to put an incoming call on hold and transfer. This would use both channels on the phone and a second inbound FXO call pointing to this extension would return reorder tone. You need a multi-button and/or octo-line phone preferably (794X, 796X)

Hope this helps.

Marcos

Thank you Marcos for your reply.

Can i use the Cisco IP Communicator at the Reception in the meantime while the purchasing dept handles my request for a Cisco IP phone 794X or 796X? I believe it is the equivalent of a 79xx series ip phone.

Elijah

Yes, this should work.

Hi Marcos,

While we are on the same subject!! Can you help me with the problem of cross connects when dialing out. I frequently get connected to someone else's call thats already ongoing when dialing out. Couple of other users have also complained about this cross connections. Could this be due to the CP-521 ip phones we are using? Or is there any special configs in the dial-plan?

Thank you as usual for your kind assistance.

This is very weird. It is very unlikely that this is being caused by our system. You should either roll over to the next available FXO, or get a reorder tone, depending on your outbound dialplan configuration, but not barge into someone else's call. Are you actually connected and are able listen to what others are talking about??

Yes Marcos, I am actually connected and able to hear what they are talking about. So one just drops the handset to atleast respect the privacy of the other person. Perhaps we should completely disable the PBX cause its still connected in parallel with the UC520 but it actually has no phone extensions plugged to it. We just left it hanging as a fall back incase we run into some drama with the uc520 as we were still testing its operations.

Thanks

Elijah

You have a wiring issue, I am almost positive.

Thanks for this, atleast i have someone backing up my theory, I hope this will convince my superiors to have the PABX removed completely. I will post back the results.

Thanks

Elijah

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The phone only has 1 call appearance, which is 'dual line', but then  thats it (2 calls).

R U saying you cant get two calls on the one line?  Check below (CCA configured)

ephone  5
device-security-mode none
mac-address 001D.E5EA.A001
max-calls-per-button 2
username "FiveTwentyone" password 123456
paging-dn 2
type 521G
button  1:14

ephone-dn  14  dual-line
number 205 no-reg primary
pickup-group 1
label 205
description Five Twentyone
name Five Twentyone
call-forward busy 399
call-forward noan 399 timeout 20

----------------------------------------------

That is 2 calls, yes. What I was saying is that if you put the first call on hold, the second DN channel is used and a second inbound call will give reorder. So in certain situations, the phone will only be able to accept 1 call.

Agree.  But you need to do something after HOLD.  Hold itself doesnt use any extra lines.  But If you are in a conference or transferring a call, I see what you mean.

Correct!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: