cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on the Service-module IP address

J W
Level 1
Level 1

I have what I hope is a simple question. I am in the process of configuring a UC560 and a UC540 for a 2-site company. Most of the administration will be done from site 1, which means I'll have to connect to site 2 using a VPN.

My question is, in order for CCA to work, does the service-module IP address have to be changed from its default 10.1.10.1 on both units? I was planning on making site 1 10.1.10.1 and site 2 10.1.20.1.

Does this fit in with best practice, or is this just over complicating things?

19 Replies 19

Pays to refresh your browser. What David said

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Although David, I'm not sure you can 'lock yourself out', you can always access the service-module from the IOS using the service-module command which doesn't use IP as it functions like an internal interface.

Hi Scott,

Your actually right... its late at night and I'm a little sleep deprived at

the moment I probably should reserved my response until the morning.

And I forgot to also mention that you should also power cycle the unit in

order to make it stick properly, but that's just based on past experience.

Cheers,

David Trad

"Sent from my Acer Iconia A500"

On Jun 4, 2012 11:57 PM, "smproductions" <

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I rarely power cycle, but fully rebooting the service-module after saving the config seems to do the trick for me.

Cheers,

Scott

P.S. sleep depravation is the cornerstone of the ICT industry

You could consider doing what I'm doing - change the CUE module IP (a few CME CLI changes plus a few changes in the CUE module config), then change it back if you need support.

There are some good articles on here about it, although the last one I looked at overlooked the CUE side of the configuration which is a critical component, so make sure you do both sides - CME & CUE config changes. I believe there is a good Cisco article on it.

I find the following process works pretty well:

1. Identify and update dial-peer config (order of this item doesn't matter)

2. Configure the loopback (UC540) or VLAN90 (UC560) interface ip address settings

3. Configure the service-module ip address and default gateway

4. Reboot the CUE service-module (after the ip change it will prompt you to do so in the CUE CLI)

5. Configure the CUE module to point to the new CME IP address (I like to use the CUE web interface for this part, but you can do it in CUE CLI also)

6. Synchronize your config in the CUE web interface

In case you miss something, dump out your CLI config into a text editor and do a find on the old IP address, sometimes one slips past the keeper. Update that and everything should work.

I could flesh this out with config, but where would be the fun in that?

Also after this config change, CCA continues to work happily, in fact you can now practically administer multiple UCs in the one CCA site once you do this. Don't tell Cisco.

Cheers,

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: