cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Second SPA525G not acting as extension

perry0003
Level 1
Level 1

I have two SPA525G phones. One works fine, the other is also connected to wifi but it doesn't have a ringtone. I want it to share the same phone number and ring when the first rings, etc, but I can't find how to configure that. Any clues? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The first phone is connected to a PBX. Yes, it's connected to it thru Wifi and Netgear, but for the purpose of your question we dont care about network topology. We care about phone service topology - and your first phone is connected to a PBX (even such PBX is not in your home). That's the PBX I mentioned in my answer.

Configure second phone the same way as the first one is configured. If PBX will accept the second phone with the same credentials you are done.

Any phone require a partner that provide call-related services/signalling to them. It seems you have no such kind of device at home so I see no solution for you unless remote PBX will accept the second phone.

But ...

SPA525G2 device can speak bluetooth. It may be possible to configure the first one as Bluetooth phone - so a Bluetooth remote headset may be connected to them. The second phone can be configured as remote headset to a mobile phone. So it may be possible to pair second phone to be bluetooth remote headset of the fist phone. I have no experience with such kind of setup and I can't test it for you as I have no two pieces of SPA525G2. It may work with no problem or it may not be possible at all.

In advance, position of second phone needs to be within bluetooth range of the first position. I suspect it may not be fulfilled in your case ...

And we should not forget for something basic - even it's not allowed to connect second phone to provider's PBX just now, it may be the service offered by the provider. So ask them.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you PBX allow two phones to have same SIP credentials, allow both to be registered at the same time  and will ring both, the you need to configure the SIP on second phone the same way as on the first one.

If such condition is not true, then support for something like it is PBX specific, It would be better to ask in forum specific to particular PBX.

I assume we are speaking about phone in SIP mode. If we are speaking about phones in SCCP mode them it would be better to ask in forum related to your's call manager device.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's not a PBX but a home business setup using a Netgear DEVG2020 modem/router. I have one phone on my desk (works fine) and I'm trying to add another to position elsewhere in the house so I don't miss any calls. The wifi setup is good, but there's no dial tone, nor does it ring when I place a call from my mobile phone.

I didn't set up the original phone (that was done by the ISP as part of the original sale), so I don't know how they managed to tell the phone its phone number.

The first phone is connected to a PBX. Yes, it's connected to it thru Wifi and Netgear, but for the purpose of your question we dont care about network topology. We care about phone service topology - and your first phone is connected to a PBX (even such PBX is not in your home). That's the PBX I mentioned in my answer.

Configure second phone the same way as the first one is configured. If PBX will accept the second phone with the same credentials you are done.

Any phone require a partner that provide call-related services/signalling to them. It seems you have no such kind of device at home so I see no solution for you unless remote PBX will accept the second phone.

But ...

SPA525G2 device can speak bluetooth. It may be possible to configure the first one as Bluetooth phone - so a Bluetooth remote headset may be connected to them. The second phone can be configured as remote headset to a mobile phone. So it may be possible to pair second phone to be bluetooth remote headset of the fist phone. I have no experience with such kind of setup and I can't test it for you as I have no two pieces of SPA525G2. It may work with no problem or it may not be possible at all.

In advance, position of second phone needs to be within bluetooth range of the first position. I suspect it may not be fulfilled in your case ...

And we should not forget for something basic - even it's not allowed to connect second phone to provider's PBX just now, it may be the service offered by the provider. So ask them.

Thanks for the informative reply, it was very helpful. I didn't realise a PBX was involved. I shall ask the provider to see if it's possible to use the second phone in a shared mode.

... or just try to configure the second phone with the same credentials and other SIP parameters as the first one.  With a pinch of luck it will just work ;-)

Glad to hear you considered my answer useful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: