Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared and status line problems

paolo.porta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

I've a problem with the shared and status on my VOIP solution.

I alwasy need to know the state of the voice lines in the phones, but this feature don't works as I expect.

I see the line status but the state isn't always correct, an example with 3 phones:

my phone SPA942: now I see a call on hold (red blinking) on line 2, all other line are idle.

line 2 phone SPA962: my phone is in use, all other line are idle

line 3 phone SPA942: line 2 is in use, my phone fast blinking red, all other line are idle.

The only phones models on my confiiguration are SPA962 and SPA942.

Any suggestion are welcome.

Regards

7 Replies 7

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paolo,

[sorry about the fonts, colors, and formatting here. I cannot properly control the environment in this response for some reason]

Are you using the phones in a SPA9000 environment?

If so, perhaps there is a configuration problem.

Please verify that phones and SPA9000 are at the latest versions of firmware.

Please verify that all phones are on the same LAN and that your LAN environment is not distributed across switches which may be restricting proper communications between the SPA9000 and the phones. [example multicast may be restricted and cause incorrect SLA functionality]

Here's how the phone's icon and line key behave in a shared line appearance [SLA] environment:

SLA’s display different phone icons next to the line keys on multi-line phones with displays.

An inbound call causes all phones to ring. The SLA Line Key will flash red and the shared-line icon will become animated.

Any phone can pick up the call by going off-hook and pressing the flashing line key. 

The connected phone will have a solid-red line key and the icon will change to double-headed arrow ßè to indicate 2-way conversation.

Other phones’ Line key will flash red and their line icon will change to indicate that the line is busy

When the answering phone puts the call on hold, all the phones' icons change and their line key LEDs flash at a different speed indicating the call is on hold.

Any of the phones can press their flashing line key and speak with the caller.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

All my phones are SPA942 or SPA962 with one SPA9000 and one SPA400.

All firmwares are the last available release.

The VOIP core switch is a Linksys SLM224P with direct connections to phones, and (for cable lenght problems) a SRW2008P used for some others phones, all switch and phones on same LAN.

The shared line problem is on all phones, direct connected to SLM224P or attached to the SRW2008P.

In case of misconfiguration of the switch some phone have to work (attached to SLM224P ) and some not (attached to SRW2008P).

I've check multicast configuration and is all disabled (only the "auto learn" is enabled).

Regards,

Paolo

Hi Paolo,

For easier testing, only concentrate for now on the phones connected to the same switch as the SPA9000.

An easy test to determine if all is well on the LAN is to force the SPA9000 to reboot with http:///admin/reboot and then carefully watch the phones. Every phone must reboot when the SPA9000 reboots. If any phones don't reboot, that is an indication of multicast being inhibited on the LAN.

In order to eliminate configuration problems, consider configuring SLA on the phones using the SPA9000 setup Wizard.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2184

Regards,

Patrick

----------

I've already used the command admin\reboot and it works on all phones.

I've used the wizard too for the configuration and the problem is the same.

Example of SLA on my phone SPA942:

Line 1     my number (202)

Line 2     number 201

Line 3     number 203

Line 4     number 204

Regards

Paolo,

It seems like you have appropriately completed the configuration.

Can you please describe, in detail:

1. what behavior you are seeing

2. what behavior you are expecting

3. how the phones are configured [use phoneA, phoneB, phoneC to describe please]

I need to know what lines are private, which are SLA, what icon is shown next to each line for each call state and so on please

In your original example you say;

"my phone SPA942: now I see a call on hold (red blinking) on line 2, all other line are idle. ... ,,,"

What does the icon next to the line key show?

What phone/line does line 2 on your phone represent?

What is your phone actually doing?

What lines are SLAs?

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm taking the status at now, as you suggested I've reported your question.

I've replaced "LINE n" with "EXT n" as in web configuration.

3. how the phones are configured [use phoneA, phoneB, phoneC to describe please]

I need to know what lines are private, which are SLA, what icon is shown next to each line for each call state and so on please

My phone is now idle (SPA 942 is phone C):

EXT 1   

(icon: phone black)

As suggested my primary and private extension

EXT 2    

(icon: is like a keyboard 6 square and 3 line)

SLA active on Phone A, private

EXT 3    

SLA active on Phone B, private

EXT 4    

SLA active on Phone D, shared

At now no one is talking:

2. what behavior you are expecting

- All led EXT 1, 2, 3 and 4 steady green.

1. what behavior you are seeing

- I see a call on hold on EXT 2 (red blinking led) and an incoming call on EXT 4 (red flashing);

Best regards

Paolo

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for the information.

Please send me [paborn at Cisco.com] the configuration of each phone and of the SPA9000 for analysis:

SPA9000: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9861

SPA9xx: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9933

Regards,

Patrick

-----------