Views
Helpful
Replies

Software Pack 8.1.0 install fails "Phone Firmware Install failed"

Derek Thom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello-

I have a brand new UC540 that I am trying to install the latest software pack on (8.1.0) using CCA 3.0.(1). I have gone straight into Maintenance>Software Upgrade and tried to run the update, but it fails with "Software Pack Installation failed, reason = Phone Firmware Install failed". I try to run the Software Pack install without any phone loads selected and the same thing happens. Also tried wiping the system to factory defaults, but it says the current factory default configuration is missing and I must download the version of the software package.

Not sure where to go from here, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Derek

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A Brand new with factory installed IOS Flash (256M), correct?

Thats strange....  CCA wants to put the IOS image on flash forst, and if that happened, that means tftp is OK.

TFTP is also used to put CME support files and phone loads on flash, so that surprises me that one would work and one would not.....

unless the phone loads are there, and CCA has trouble with its next step (CUE communication using FTP).

If you look at this cheat sheet and confirm your CCA PC can pass these tests.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9779

If all that works, I would get the detailed CCA logs (Help> Support>Genrate Tbleshtg Log) and open a case.

View solution in original post

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Derek,

When you go to do the software pack update are you choosing the full update option? And if so are you asking it to format the flash card at the same time?

Also when using CCA you need to make sure you have the following:

• Firewalls turned off or exceptions applied (Turning the firewall off gets the best outcome)
  • Antivirus disabled and if possible turned off
  • No other TFTP or FTP servers running on the system
  • All NIC cards including Wireless turned off with the exception of the one you will be connecting to the UC with
  • Make sure you are connected directly into the UC-500 with the inbuilt ethernet port

I find when using a fresh install of Win XP or Win 7 with nothing installed and just a vanilla flavored setup, you never run into any problems, so I usually use an old outdated system that would normally be too slow for anything else and just use that for all lab builds, so this allows me to build the system in the lab prior to deployment and then I have a field laptop that can do any of the remainder when it goes into production.

CCA can be a bit fuzzy wuzzy at times, once you learn its quirks you know what to keep an eye out for

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A Brand new with factory installed IOS Flash (256M), correct?

Thats strange....  CCA wants to put the IOS image on flash forst, and if that happened, that means tftp is OK.

TFTP is also used to put CME support files and phone loads on flash, so that surprises me that one would work and one would not.....

unless the phone loads are there, and CCA has trouble with its next step (CUE communication using FTP).

If you look at this cheat sheet and confirm your CCA PC can pass these tests.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9779

If all that works, I would get the detailed CCA logs (Help> Support>Genrate Tbleshtg Log) and open a case.

This was resolved by just closing CCA and opening again. Not sure what the deal was but my PC did meet all the criteria (I use this laptop for UC5xx loads).

Thanks everyone for the help!

Derek

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Derek,

When you go to do the software pack update are you choosing the full update option? And if so are you asking it to format the flash card at the same time?

Also when using CCA you need to make sure you have the following:

• Firewalls turned off or exceptions applied (Turning the firewall off gets the best outcome)
  • Antivirus disabled and if possible turned off
  • No other TFTP or FTP servers running on the system
  • All NIC cards including Wireless turned off with the exception of the one you will be connecting to the UC with
  • Make sure you are connected directly into the UC-500 with the inbuilt ethernet port

I find when using a fresh install of Win XP or Win 7 with nothing installed and just a vanilla flavored setup, you never run into any problems, so I usually use an old outdated system that would normally be too slow for anything else and just use that for all lab builds, so this allows me to build the system in the lab prior to deployment and then I have a field laptop that can do any of the remainder when it goes into production.

CCA can be a bit fuzzy wuzzy at times, once you learn its quirks you know what to keep an eye out for

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi

In addition to David's excellent post make sure you configured the UC's IP Address as default gateway. In my case I had the exactly same problem. After a closer look I noticed that the UC used a different IP address for some tftp requests than the one from the directly connected network.

Connection received from 10.1.10.2 on port 55103 [30/07 12:04:17.989]
Read request for file . Mode octet [30/07 12:04:17.989]
Using local port 65031 [30/07 12:04:17.990]
Peer returns ERROR -> aborting transfer [30/07 12:04:18.007]

Vlan1                      unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    up     
Vlan100                    unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    up     
NVI0                       10.1.10.2       YES unset  up                    up     
BVI1                       192.168.10.1    YES NVRAM  up                    up     
BVI100                     10.1.1.1        YES NVRAM  up                    up     
Loopback0                  10.1.10.2       YES NVRAM  up                    up     

It looks like the UC used the Loopback0 IP address which was unknown because of the lack of a route/default gw. after i configured the 192.168.10.1 as default gw, the CCA update run trough like a charm

I can just confirm that adding the UC in GW for the computer used to update the UC resolve all of my problems too !

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: