Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G caller-id in Australia

alltraders001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have had some long discussions with a very helpful SBCS engineer about this and at his recommendation would like some community feedback.

I have a UC540 with multiple SPA525G phones. I want to have an external callers name showing on the spa525g display. The support engineer says that the SIP provider sends this data with the incoming phone number.  In Australia only the callers number is sent from the SIP provider. I understand that in USA the SIPprovides the number and name. I want to be able to show a name on the phone display if the incoming callers name is in my phone or UC540 directory. Currently the phone display shows the incoming phone number twice.

Is this possible in Australia?

Thank you for any help any of you can offer.

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Michael,

As promised please do the following:

Sort out the numbers you want in a text file first, the example is below and you can copy this to a txt file and modify it and create up too 100 if you wish.

directory entry 1  name 
directory entry 2 name
directory entry 3 name
directory entry 4 name
directory entry 5 name
directory entry 6 name
directory entry 7 name
directory entry 8 name
directory entry 9 name
directory entry 10 name

NOTE-1: The name can only be a maximum of 15 characters including spaces, so you may have to abbreviate a name if it is a long one

NOTE-2: All numbers must have the leading "0" for instance 00414 123 123 this is mainly for calling outbound if you want to use abbreviated dialing (Which is cool)

Now to configure it:

• Get to command line and be in exec mode
  • ROUTER# conf t
  • ROUTER (Config)# telephony-service
  • ROUTER#(config-telephony)# "It is at this stage you paste in the above directory entries, however do one at a time for the first 3 to make sure they are ok and will work, and then paste the rest"

This will give you named incoming calls and also abbreviated dialing, however be mindful of the fact that when dialing out-bound it will not show the registered name rather it will only show the number (Have no idea why it is like that).

You may also need translation rules in place to add the "0" in front of the number, I cannot remember if this is the case but it might be required, adding the leading zero is also very helpful if you want to call back a missed call, for some sill reason in previous versions (Haven't checked on the latest SW pack) you had to manually edit the number to be able to call back a missed call, adding a "0" in via translation rules resolves this problem

Hope this helps you out Michael.

Cheers,

David

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

ai.solutions
Level 1
Level 1

Not as far as im aware. There is no correlation between the telephony providers and the whitepages/other directory services.

You could look into the Smart Call Connector toolbar integration with outlook so that it will lookup the contact names and show you in a popup on the computer who is calling.

Hi,

thank you for your help. That is as I understood it also, that Australian telcos dont provide the "mapped names" with the caller id phone number. Also, we have kept our phone system separate from our exchange server so the Smart Call Connector wont work for us.

Michael

Call connector doesnt integrate directly to Exchange by the way. It integrates at the desktop to the Outlook clients.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael,

Short answer... NO Not in the way you are thinking, neither the incumbent or other telco's provide named caller services, we lag behind the more developed countries

However you can potentially use the Directory listings within the UC itself, this supports a maximum of 100 numbers, and this captures the CID and usually within 1-2 rings translates it to the name you had given to that number in the directory listing, it also provides other benefits like Abbreviated dialing.

How good this would work on a SIP trunks I am not so clear on, but so long as a CID is presented I cannot see any valid reason as to why this couldn't work, it certainly works well over PSTN/ISDN or PRI delivery methods.

Hopes this helps you out.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

thanks again for your help.

I couldn't see any potential reason why this couldn't get the name from the UC phone directory either. However, I have been unable to work out how to do this so any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks again,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I only know how to do this manually, if you want to keep it hush-hush you can do it yourself without giving CCA heart failure (I didn't tell you to do that either ok )

There is a specific format that this needs to be done and is placed under the telephony-service section.

If you require a guide on how to do it and a basic template of how it should be presented let me know, happy to do this for you

But again this remains a secret between you and me, I didn't tell you how to do it

Still haven't found out how to do it with CCA, right now I am about as good at finding these things as a bat with 1 eye, or maybe CCA still does not have provisions for it... Who knows, I know I don't

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

I am very interested in learning more so that I can thoroughly "learn" what not to do. Any information you provide is greatly appreciated as usual. I am aware that using CLI can affect my ability to gain support via my support contract. It does highlight again that there is still functionality that should be in CCA that would be of benefit to many.

Thanks again,

Michael

Hi Michael,  Mate happy to do this for you tomorrow, just got home and to be honest I just want to veggie out and get my mind if Cisco for the night, too many things doing my head in at the moment :)   Will post it up for you bright and early tomorrow morning mate.    Cheers,   David.

Posted from my mobile device.

Hi Michael,

As promised please do the following:

Sort out the numbers you want in a text file first, the example is below and you can copy this to a txt file and modify it and create up too 100 if you wish.

directory entry 1  name 
directory entry 2 name
directory entry 3 name
directory entry 4 name
directory entry 5 name
directory entry 6 name
directory entry 7 name
directory entry 8 name
directory entry 9 name
directory entry 10 name

NOTE-1: The name can only be a maximum of 15 characters including spaces, so you may have to abbreviate a name if it is a long one

NOTE-2: All numbers must have the leading "0" for instance 00414 123 123 this is mainly for calling outbound if you want to use abbreviated dialing (Which is cool)

Now to configure it:

• Get to command line and be in exec mode
  • ROUTER# conf t
  • ROUTER (Config)# telephony-service
  • ROUTER#(config-telephony)# "It is at this stage you paste in the above directory entries, however do one at a time for the first 3 to make sure they are ok and will work, and then paste the rest"

This will give you named incoming calls and also abbreviated dialing, however be mindful of the fact that when dialing out-bound it will not show the registered name rather it will only show the number (Have no idea why it is like that).

You may also need translation rules in place to add the "0" in front of the number, I cannot remember if this is the case but it might be required, adding the leading zero is also very helpful if you want to call back a missed call, for some sill reason in previous versions (Haven't checked on the latest SW pack) you had to manually edit the number to be able to call back a missed call, adding a "0" in via translation rules resolves this problem

Hope this helps you out Michael.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

that's awesome (as usual). I greatly appreciate your assistance and guidance.

Thank you!!

Michael

Hi Michael,

If you are satisfied with the answers, can you please mark the thread as answered, I know from my perspective when I do searches i tend to aim for the ones that come up as Answered to try and reduce search times... Would be greatly appreciated Mate

that's awesome (as usual). I greatly appreciate your assistance and guidance.

Anytime...Anywhere

Cheers,

David.

Hi and thanks for all the suggestions so far.

After some testing and adding the directory entries using  Cisco Small Business Office Manager and not CLI, I have to report that this has not achieved a display of the callers name on the phone display, even though the directory entries are in my configuration.

I am still seeking a solution to this so please keep the suggestions coming.

Also, I dont know how to mark the thread as Unanswered.

Michael

Michael,

Just so you know I have not abandoned this one mate... Just playing court joker right now juggling so many requests at the same time...

I am working this up on the lab system now, just waiting for a PSTN line to be freed up for me so I can get it to work on the LAB system first and then can correctly advise you on how to update it on your system or I will do it for you.

Please give me some time to clear out some of the work load and for a line to be freed up and I promise to help you out on this one

Cheers,

David.

(PS) I was not bumping you off before, I just figured CLI modifications should be done by SBS not me, but will see if there is another way in the mean time.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael,

Firstly: thank you for granting me SSH access to your system, being able to do and see the debugs in real-time helps as I was able to compare them against two other systems

Secondly: All systems exhibited the same results so the issue is not just reproducible I have a feeling it is a bug in this IOS revision

I logged into an older UC520 system which has not been rebuilt yet and the results produced from it was vastly different, it is almost like the current revision of the IOS looks for a name within the analogue signaling or the SIP header and when it does not see it reverts to displaying the number twice on the screen... However this is just simply not what it should be doing, the system should be looking at your directory listing and displaying on your screen a name and then the number below it, not the number twice.

If i was to have a good guess I would say this is a bug in the system, so please do the following:

• Case Number 617 693 055 needs to be modified in that all issues outlined in this case number be itemized and made into separate cases
  • This particular issue be escalated and that SBS capture all the required Debug for this issue so the engineering team can work on this problem and resolve it..
  • Organize for SBS to do that partial Config repair of your system and get this system back into CCA scope/compliance, the Hybrid nature of it is not really what you want and you should get this resolved by them so that way any CLI commands are done by them and comply with OOB, they can do this via WebEx so that way you do not have to be stuck on the phone for an hour or so whilst they do it, and please EXPLICITLY specify to them to do it without downtime and if some is required that it is minimal, make this very clear to them.

For me personaly the Corporate Directory is one of features I use in the pre-sales sales cycle and push it hard, I explain to them the feature and how abbreviated dial is a cool thing to have, it is a great WOW factor feature and I have been selling it and two systems now do not do it, so I want this resolved now as much as you do

Please get that system cleaned up, it really needs to be set right and it would take me hours to do it as I would have to verify all my CLI changes to make sure they were in CCA compliance and OOB compliant, I am fairly certain the SBS guys would do it in under half the time I can.

I will continue to follow this case with you, and if anything else surfaces on the system in the meantime will also help you out where I possibly can, maybe at a later stage we can upgrade the phones to 7-4-8 and you can show me that system lockup so we can capture some debugs on that, I must point out though I do wonder if the problems you are having are related to just a bad build from the get go, but I guess the SBS guys would have more of an idea on this.

Now onto the next problem... What a day today has been

Cheers,

David.