Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPA9000 "UK SPECIFIC" help please - ARRRRGGGGGG

Dear community

Firstly I must vent my anger at the hole that the Linksys SPA9000 and SPA9xx phones fall into. It is in a very deep, dark black hole between Cisco and Linksys, with Sipura built in for good (bad) measure.This makes it a nightmare to find recent, specific information, which is where I hope you can help.

The SPA 9000 is sold as a 5 minute setup. Well it is not. Maybe it is simple, but then or two nuggets of information that may make it simple just are not available. Just as I think I am nearly at a document that might answer the question oh no, another login is required, oh dear, sorry not enough access, go back to go and do not collect £200. And then the document turns out to be one I found a week ago that does not answer the question or is not in English!

I am in the UK, and purchased a UK spec SPA9000. First big problem is the setup wizard!! It was a nightmare to find and download, having to go through variuos logins and from cisco via linksys and back again.  And then to add insult to injury it does not run on my laptop ruinning W7 even in XP compatability mode.  So I have to resort to using the web interface, which does not have any of the useful options that the wizzard does such as backing up configs, saving configs, updating firmware etc - not little minor ommisions but huge enormous ommissions.  I managed to get the wizzard to run just once, all other attempts fail with a progress bar that keeps flashing across the screen. But now it will not run again.

So I have managed to connect it to a SIP service and incoming calls work fine, I have connected up a couple of SPA962 handsets and they talk to each other and incoming calls are routed to the relevent extension, so far so good.

BUT- I cannot get it to dial out, and am pretty sure that this is the result of dial plan problems. I have done DAYS AND DAYS and NIGHTS AND NIGHTS of research, and so far have got no further on at all.

And before I get even more frustrated, I shall just ask the question:

Can anybody help me with the UK Specific dial plans. It should not be difficult, all I want is to dial 9 for a line (I have the info on choosing lines if I want but that is for later), and then be able to dial any UK number. Or any worldwide number, ok that adds 00 but for now I will accept the basics just to find out if it works!!!!!

Here are what I am now using, which give the least errors and tones in the right places (the tones were all changed when the wizzard set the location to the UK!)

This is in the Voice, SIP, pbx PHONE parameters,
(9,[3469]11S0|9,<:1408>[1-9]xxxxxx|9,<:1>[1-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|9,1[1-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|9,011xx.|9,xx.|[1-8]xx.)
This has dial tone after 9, but gives service not available

In Voice, Line 1 Dial Plan it has this:

(<9:xx)

I have had it when it said invalid number when I put the same long string in the Line 1 dail plan.

Anyway, I really need a bit of help from someone who knows!!! (and someone must have done this before, which is why I am amazed there is not a solution out on the web)

Thank you very much for reading this far I really hope you can help me before I throw the whole lot in the bin.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: SPA9000 "UK SPECIFIC" help please - ARRRRGGGGGG

Hi Simon,

I am based in the UK and have my SPA9000 with 3 x SPA942s working well with several DrayTel SIP accounts both inbound and outbound (though I haven't managed to crack the inbound analogue line through the SPA400 - it's a bit flakey). I have had my system for several years and had to originally configure it manually without the wizard (which didn't cater for the UK) and I agree - the LinkSys / Cisco / Sipura black hole is something of a nightmare. You would think that Cisco (and LinkSys before them) would properly support such a complex product when selling it into a major market such as the UK ? Believe me when I say that this forum and the support resources on the Cisco website are 200% better than when the product was launched under the LinkSys brand several years ago !!!

Anyway, my dialplan is as follows: (<*97:vmm>|[9876],xxS3|[9876],xxxS3|[9876],[1-9]xxxxxxxxS0|[9876],xx.|[12345]|[12345]x|[12345]xx|1xx) which represents the following:

<*97:vmm> directs the handset to the SPA400 voicemail menu

[9876] are the access digits to select which of four outbound lines to use (three DrayTel accounts and one analogue line) - the ,xx... are the various combinations of outgoing formats to dial (I am a little grey on the meaning of these combinations - but they work so that's all I care about). In your case where you only have one line I would expect you to substitute [9] for [9876].

1xx is for dialling internal extensions

You also need to set the dialplan on the Line 1 tab to (<9:>xx.) so that 9 is the associated access digit for that line.

Finally if you are operating behind a firewall router you need to open up several ports pointing to the SPA9000 on your network. I have the following ports open on my router UDP 5060-5063 and UDP 16384-16482.

Good luck...

Damian

Hi Simon,

I have another router (Draytek Vigor 2820Vn) and DHCP server (MS Windows SBS 2008) on my network so I don't use the router function on the SPA9000, consequently the SPA9000 is connected to the network via the Internet (WAN) port and I have assigned an IP on the WAN Setup tab which is on the same subnet as my network. As the LAN port on the SPA9000 is not used I haven't bothered configuring that side of things so the IP address is set to the default (192.168.0.1 - which is on a different subnet from my network) and DHCP is disabled.

Hope this helps,

Damian

P.S. The latest version of the SPA9000 firmware is 6.1.5 (at least I haven't found a later version) and the latest version of the wizard that I have is 2.1.1.2 which is a beta that I found to download elsewhere on this forum.

Hi Simon,

just letting you know that you are not alone in stating that setting up a SPA9000 is difficult. There are a million settings or so and about 3 separate 100+ page PDF manuals on how to do it. If you haven't had much to do with computers and networking are will definately have trouble.

I have been working with PC's for 10 yrs and VoIP ATA's or the past 3 yrs and I am also having trouble.

Basically you need to start from scratch.

My config consists of the following.

1 x Netgear DG834PN ADSL2+ modem / router (IP: 192.168.0.1)

This is plugged into a D-Link Gigabit Switch.

My SPA9000 has a ethernet cable connected from its Internet Port to the Gigabit switch. When you switch on the SAP9000 straight out of the box it should automatically be issued a dynamic IP address from the Netgear modem or whatever you are using.

If you have another computer connected to the same switch in the same IP range you should be able to access the SPA9000 using this PC.

First login into your router and there should be a setting that shows you a list of attached devices. This might be called LAN or Attached devices.

Check the back of your SAP9000 and get the MAC address then look for that address in the attached devices address. Note the IP address.

Now open a browser and type that IP in the address bar and hit enter.

It should bring up the SPA9000 admin screen.

On the right hand side click the blue links that say "Admin Login" and "Advanced". Now you should be able to see all the settings.

Now click WAN setup.

Under:  Internet Connection Settings > Connection Type: Choose "Static IP"

Under: Static IP Settings > Static IP: Enter and IP address that is not being used or is outside your DHCP IP range being used on your network. EG: 192.168.100

Under: Static IP Settings > Gateway: Enter 192.168.0.1 or your gateway address (Your modem / router or DHCP server address).

Under: Static IP Settings > NetMask: Enter 255.255.255.0

Click the submit all changes, SPA9000 will reboot and you can now access it through your new static IP address of 192.168.0.100.

Now you will need to login to your router and setup some firewall rules.

You first need to setup a rule to allow any WAN users to access ports 5060 - 5090 on UDP only and LAN IP address should be set to 192.168.0.100 (or the IP address of your SPA9000)

Next need to setup a rule to allow any WAN users to access ports 10000 - 20000 on UDP only and LAN IP address should be set to 192.168.0.100 (or the IP address of your SPA9000)

That should now have opened up your firewall to allow communication to your chosen SIP server or VoIP provider.

Next just plug your SPA942 (as I have) into the same Gigabit switch and power it on and it too will automatically pick up an IP address from your router.

now once again login to you router and see attached devices, check MAC address on back of phone and look for same address in the list. Check the IP next to the MAC address to see what the router has issued it.

Again login to the phone using a browser and it's IP address.

The other option is that the SAP9000 should have automatically dicovered your new phone anyway so you can also just click the PBX Status link on the right hand side of the SPA9000 Admin. If you see a device listed there just click on it's IP address and you will be takeen to it's admin.

Now click the System tab:

Under: Static IP Settings > Static IP: Enter and IP address that is not being used or is outside your DHCP IP range being used on your network. EG: 192.168.101

Under: Static IP Settings > Gateway: Enter 192.168.0.1 or your gateway address (Your modem / router or DHCP server address).

Click the submit all changes, SPA942 will reboot and you can now access it through your new static IP address of 192.168.0.101.

Also you should now also reboot you SPA9000. Once it reboots you should be able to go to the PBX Status link on the right hand side of the SPA9000 Admin and you should be able to see you phone lised there with it's new IP of 192.168.0.101.

Now all you need to do is configure your SIP account details into Line 1 to 4 of the SPA9000 and reboot.

When it reboots Click the Voice Tab and look "Line 1 Status > Registration State: it should say Registered if it has successfully connected to you SIP provider.

I use Engin in Australia and may setting are the following:

LINE 1:

SIP Settings > SIP Transport: UDP

SIP Port: 5062

Subscriber Information > Display Name: Your Display Name

Subscriber Information > Password: Your password

Subscriber Information > Auth ID: your sip phone number issed by your SIP provider

Subscriber Information > User ID: your sip phone number issed by your SIP provider

Subscriber Information > Use Auth ID: yes

Subscriber Information > Call Capacity: unlimited for now, this will depend on your provider

Subscriber Information > Contact List: I have mine set to 100 and I want all calls coming in on this line to go straight to Ext.100

Proxy and Registration > Proxy: byo.engin.com.au

Proxy and Registration > Outbound Proxy: byo.engin.com.au

Proxy and Registration > Use Outbound Proxy: yes

Proxy and Registration > Register: yes

Proxy and Registration > Register Expires: 900

Proxy and Registration > Use DNS SRV: yes

Just make sure that the SIP Port for each line is different EG: LINE 2 should be 5063, LINE 3 should be 5064 etc. You cannot use a port that is already being used by another device.

If you want to setup you phones tones login to you phone:

a.Click the PBX Status link.
b. Find the phone that you want to configure, and then click the hyperlink in the IP
Address column.
c. Click Regional.
d. In the Call Progress Tones section, enter the values below
e. Click Submit All Changes.
f. Repeat this step as needed for each phone.

UK
Dial Tone: 350@-10;440@-10;*(*/0/1+2)
Outside Dial Tone: 425@-16;10(*/0/1)
Prompt Tone: 400@-19,620@-19;*(*/0/1+2)
Reorder Tone: 400@-10;*(0.4/0.35/1,0.225/0.525/1)
Off Hook Warning Tone: 425@-10;*(.2/.2/1,.2/.6/1)
Ring Back Tone: 400@-10;(0.4/0.2/1,0.4/2/1)
Busy Tone: 400@-10;10(0.375/0.375/1)
Call Waiting Tone: 400@-20;30(0.1/2/1)
Confirm Tone: 400@-16;1(20/0/1)

can't give you any help on the dialing plan. but hope this might help you sort out your inbound and outbound packet issues.

Cheers

Paul

PS I am also pretty new at working with the SAP9000 so if any readers see any mistakes in these comments please don't hesitate to correct me.

13 REPLIES

Were you trying to dial out by entering 9 and the long distance number?  My experience is that I have to dial 9 and treat all the local calls as long distance calls as well.  The wizard won't work if the firewall is turned on, on your computer, so you must either create a rule for the wizard or turn the firewall off temporarily.  I am not familiar with UK dial plans but will check my resources for dial plan information for you.  The wizard that ships with the SPA9000 has been updated and can be downloaded from Cisco.  Cisco also recommends that you update the firmware on all phones as well as the SPA9000

Dave.

Just another thing to try.  Go into the spa9000 web interface and go the voice - line x - sip settings section  and find "SIP Remote-Party-ID" and change it to "no" and try it.  Found a forum here, http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-spa9000-spa400-support-forum/cannot-make-outbound-ip-calls-inbound-works-ok-25047.html that discribes a similar problem.  Some itsp's like this set to no.  The default setting is yes however.

Dave.

Many thanks for your suggestions and time,

In the UK most dialed out numbers are the full "long distance" number, in the UK called STD calls (subscriber trunk dialing) and start 0xxxx xxxxxx. Obviously the 9 will be needed first for the outside line. The same is true for mobiles and the like. The only exceptions are numbers in the same area code where on PSTN the full number isnot required but will still work if the full STD number is dialed, and of course emergency 999, operator 100 and a number of other things like 1471 to find out the last number called.  Also there are things like 141 in front of a dialed number to prevent the presentation of your number.

Re the wizzard, I have now managed to get it to run once more by putting the PC on the WAN side and running it from there, even though all other admin can be done from the LAN side web interface.

I will try your suggestion for the setting change, the sip provider here is sipgate - I have a support ticket in with them but it is presently being passed around until someone who knows anything about it can find time to reply!

One other quick question: to help me work out if I am getting near to it working - if I dial 9 then the number now I get ... "calling", then almost instantly "number invalid". BUT, I now have it so once it has dialed (which does show the whole number 90xxxx xxxxxx) then it only shows the full number without the 9. Interesting, but I would be very grateful to know what it should show.

I am still fairly determined to try to get this working as it is so near, but I think I will end up setting the whole lot back to factory settings, and having another go and see if this helps.

S

Hi Simon,

I am based in the UK and have my SPA9000 with 3 x SPA942s working well with several DrayTel SIP accounts both inbound and outbound (though I haven't managed to crack the inbound analogue line through the SPA400 - it's a bit flakey). I have had my system for several years and had to originally configure it manually without the wizard (which didn't cater for the UK) and I agree - the LinkSys / Cisco / Sipura black hole is something of a nightmare. You would think that Cisco (and LinkSys before them) would properly support such a complex product when selling it into a major market such as the UK ? Believe me when I say that this forum and the support resources on the Cisco website are 200% better than when the product was launched under the LinkSys brand several years ago !!!

Anyway, my dialplan is as follows: (<*97:vmm>|[9876],xxS3|[9876],xxxS3|[9876],[1-9]xxxxxxxxS0|[9876],xx.|[12345]|[12345]x|[12345]xx|1xx) which represents the following:

<*97:vmm> directs the handset to the SPA400 voicemail menu

[9876] are the access digits to select which of four outbound lines to use (three DrayTel accounts and one analogue line) - the ,xx... are the various combinations of outgoing formats to dial (I am a little grey on the meaning of these combinations - but they work so that's all I care about). In your case where you only have one line I would expect you to substitute [9] for [9876].

1xx is for dialling internal extensions

You also need to set the dialplan on the Line 1 tab to (<9:>xx.) so that 9 is the associated access digit for that line.

Finally if you are operating behind a firewall router you need to open up several ports pointing to the SPA9000 on your network. I have the following ports open on my router UDP 5060-5063 and UDP 16384-16482.

Good luck...

Damian

Thank you very much Damian - this has been a great help!

At the moment it is one step forward and two back, but.... I have now managed to make an outside call or two, however I cant hear anything this end although the called number can hear me!  And the AA does not respond to dialing an extension!!! Oh well.

I am a bit confused as to the best way to actually network the SPA9000, handsets and setup computer. The user guide that came on the CD suggests that everything should run off the ethernet port, and just the setup pc off the internet port.  I am kinda basing my setup on the SPA9000 being a router, so have connected the internet port to the main router (also the setup PC is connected here too) then the ethernet port connects to the handsets.The bizzare thing is that it does not always work in the same config next time it is all powered up, sometimes the handsets wont see the network unless they have a static IP, next time they want DHCP.

Then again, the wizzard (when it works) suggests that it should be conencted differently.  There is just so much contradiction here. The wizzard doesnt do half what it should, but the full advanced admin interface is missing major configuration features such as save/load  config etc.  The  admin console does have the minutae of detail that could break the whole thing, clearly this is not written by anyone who wants to make it easy!

Each time I break a major milestone and get one thing to work, something else breaks!!! Is it just me or is this shonky kit, software or both? And just for a bit of background does anyone know the roadmap for this product - will there be continued developement or is this it?

Oh and could someone confirm the best way of actually resetting the various bits to "how they came out of the box" rather than a factory reset - doing factory resets I would expect to put them back to a start position but the various bits still retained some previous configuration, annoying to say the least!

I have now spent a week, working way into the early dawn and every spare minute trying to acheive what should be a lot simpler, better documentation would certainly help.  Ah well, some definite progress, but still miles away from being able to present this to clients saying look how easy this is!!!!

Thanks again for all the help - it is much appreciated.

Right, more info on what is happening here (apart from teairing my hair out in desparation!)

Checked the user guide I was reading (the one that came on the CD), and have now downloaded Version 2.1 of the wizzard user guide. This presumably is the latest. This shows the firmware to be as follows,

SPA9000 v6.15 - my current version

SPA962 v 6.13 - my version is 6.13(a) so pretty close

I haven't even got as far as the SPA400 so wont mention this at the moment

The manual then goes on to say that the recommended way of connecting the SPA9000 up is to use the INTERNET port, and put everything else on the LAN. Fair enough, if this device was not looking like a router and carrying 2 ranges of IPs (internal and external.)  I have tried seting the LAN Networking service to Bridge, but it wont allow the same IP range to be used, which makes the whole issue of the DHCP server and the handsets finding this and getting an IP a disaster.

So, please can anyone clarify this basic question?

Since the wizzard is so hit or miss, I am also referring to the Web UI User Guide version 6.1, which seems to be stuck in the dark ages of firmware 5.1.9 for the SPA9000. Does anyone have a later manual for the current (v6.15) firmware?

Why do I seem to get one thing working, only to find 5 other things broken?? What am I doing wrong? Surely it cannot be that hard???

I am still having problems with factory reset - it looks nothing like how it first came out of the box, not showing MAC address, line keys not set up, does not call internal extensions etc. Surely Factory Reset is just that - back to basic settings with the original configuration?? Please someone confrim that this should be the case.

Thanks again for your help (those who reply... if you read this and know the answer but do not post this is not much help I am afraid :)

Hi Simon,

I have another router (Draytek Vigor 2820Vn) and DHCP server (MS Windows SBS 2008) on my network so I don't use the router function on the SPA9000, consequently the SPA9000 is connected to the network via the Internet (WAN) port and I have assigned an IP on the WAN Setup tab which is on the same subnet as my network. As the LAN port on the SPA9000 is not used I haven't bothered configuring that side of things so the IP address is set to the default (192.168.0.1 - which is on a different subnet from my network) and DHCP is disabled.

Hope this helps,

Damian

P.S. The latest version of the SPA9000 firmware is 6.1.5 (at least I haven't found a later version) and the latest version of the wizard that I have is 2.1.1.2 which is a beta that I found to download elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks again Damian

I am slowly winning, but having a good fight along the way with stupid things that should be very simple.

I have a SPA962 handset that is failing to register, I have factory reset it several times but it doesnt come back with every setting it needs. I have been combing through settings one by one comparing it to a SPA942 (I only bought these two till I knew I had it working!). So that is boring,

I have a few issues with not hearing one side of the conversation but this apparently is down to the NAT settings so I will look at them once I get other things ironed out.

I have wizzard 2.2.0.0 which is pretty well up to date, although I am now doing most via the web UI just for fun!

Anyway, I am keeping on with the banging head against wall in the vain hope that it will solve all the problems!!!

S

Hi Simon,

I am a little confused as to your network setup.  What kind of router do you use and do you use the router as a switch as well or do you have a separate network switch?  The ideal way to set up the phone system is to hook up the SPA9000 to the switch from the Internet port of the SPA9000 and give it a static IP address.  For example, if the router's ip is the typical 192.168.0.1, then you could give the SPA9000 the ip of 192.168.0.x with x being any number other than 1 and not more than 253.  Often the network swithes use 192.168.0.254 if they are a managed switch.  I set my SPA9000 to 192.168.0.4.  You would let the router act as the DHCP server as well as the gateway and DNS server... so set the SPA9000 WAN settings accordingly.  Now when you plug in a phone into the network, it dynamically given it's own ip address.  This may settle down the sketchy registration problems.

Dave.

Thanks for the reply - let me explain a little on what I am trying -

As I have never done this before, I aim to get a VOIP IP PBX and some IP handsets workingon a SIP connection, and as such am just adding to to an existing network to try it out. If it proves to be workable then I will be offering this to a client for his new premises on an exclusive "voice" broadband connection.  I was aiming to keep it as far isolated from my office network as possible just using a connection to the main router, then using the SPA9000 as an adition NAT router then on to a POE switch for the handsets etc.  The documentation (I now find is obsolete) indicated that this was the preferred setup, but now the later user guides and advice I have received here say to just use it as a device off the network which I have now done. It will make it slightly harder to transplant the whole system to my clients site for a demo but there we go!

So now I have set the SPA9000 and the SPA962942 handsets up on the external network as Damian suggested above, set the main router to be DHCP (this is a perimeter network that then feeds into an SBS2003 box which does another NAT onto the main internal network).  All is getting a bit better, the phones did many restarts and eventually woke up properly. I can dial out, receive calls in but I still have a minor issue to sort because there is no speech or tones coming in.  Since I did have incoming calls working perfectly this is hopefully not a big issue. Should I hear the a ringing tone for the dialed number?

Then I can add the SPA400 and start playing with the PSTN side!!! Wish me luck!

Now I have the dial plan sorted (many thanks again to Damian - without him I would have thrown this whole lot out the window) I am much further on the way to getting this sorted, it is just a bit sad that the documentation that came with the unit was so out of date, and there was not an easy way to get a definitive "this is the latest software, firmware, manual, wiazzard" etc!

I will stick my neck out and say that the support, information, downloads, painful web navigation that Cisco provides only confirms to me that I really do not want to sell anything with a cisco label on, and although I used to work on Catalyst 5000's a while back I have not been impressed by the way that cisco have tried to avoid all issues of making it easy to get updates, information, latest manuals etc.  Still, obviously nobody from cisco bothers to read this so I have wasted my time typing this.

Hi Simon,

just letting you know that you are not alone in stating that setting up a SPA9000 is difficult. There are a million settings or so and about 3 separate 100+ page PDF manuals on how to do it. If you haven't had much to do with computers and networking are will definately have trouble.

I have been working with PC's for 10 yrs and VoIP ATA's or the past 3 yrs and I am also having trouble.

Basically you need to start from scratch.

My config consists of the following.

1 x Netgear DG834PN ADSL2+ modem / router (IP: 192.168.0.1)

This is plugged into a D-Link Gigabit Switch.

My SPA9000 has a ethernet cable connected from its Internet Port to the Gigabit switch. When you switch on the SAP9000 straight out of the box it should automatically be issued a dynamic IP address from the Netgear modem or whatever you are using.

If you have another computer connected to the same switch in the same IP range you should be able to access the SPA9000 using this PC.

First login into your router and there should be a setting that shows you a list of attached devices. This might be called LAN or Attached devices.

Check the back of your SAP9000 and get the MAC address then look for that address in the attached devices address. Note the IP address.

Now open a browser and type that IP in the address bar and hit enter.

It should bring up the SPA9000 admin screen.

On the right hand side click the blue links that say "Admin Login" and "Advanced". Now you should be able to see all the settings.

Now click WAN setup.

Under: Static IP Settings > Static IP: Enter and IP address that is not being used or is outside your DHCP IP range being used on your network. EG: 192.168.100

Click the submit all changes, SPA9000 will reboot and you can now access it through your new static IP address of 192.168.0.100.

Now you will need to login to your router and setup some firewall rules.

You first need to setup a rule to allow any WAN users to access ports 5060 - 5090 on UDP only and LAN IP address should be set to 192.168.0.100 (or the IP address of your SPA9000)

Next need to setup a rule to allow any WAN users to access ports 10000 - 20000 on UDP only and LAN IP address should be set to 192.168.0.100 (or the IP address of your SPA9000)

That should now have opened up your firewall to allow communication to your chosen SIP server or VoIP provider.

Next just plug your SPA942 (as I have) into the same Gigabit switch and power it on and it too will automatically pick up an IP address from your router.

now once again login to you router and see attached devices, check MAC address on back of phone and look for same address in the list. Check the IP next to the MAC address to see what the router has issued it.

Again login to the phone using a browser and it's IP address.

The other option is that the SAP9000 should have automatically dicovered your new phone anyway so you can also just click the PBX Status link on the right hand side of the SPA9000 Admin. If you see a device listed there just click on it's IP address and you will be takeen to it's admin.

Now click the System tab:

Under: Static IP Settings > Static IP: Enter and IP address that is not being used or is outside your DHCP IP range being used on your network. EG: 192.168.101

Click the submit all changes, SPA942 will reboot and you can now access it through your new static IP address of 192.168.0.101.

Also you should now also reboot you SPA9000. Once it reboots you should be able to go to the PBX Status link on the right hand side of the SPA9000 Admin and you should be able to see you phone lised there with it's new IP of 192.168.0.101.

Now all you need to do is configure your SIP account details into Line 1 to 4 of the SPA9000 and reboot.

When it reboots Click the Voice Tab and look "Line 1 Status > Registration State: it should say Registered if it has successfully connected to you SIP provider.

I use Engin in Australia and may setting are the following:

LINE 1:

SIP Settings > SIP Transport: UDP

SIP Port: 5062

Subscriber Information > Display Name: Your Display Name

Subscriber Information > Password: Your password

Subscriber Information > Auth ID: your sip phone number issed by your SIP provider

Subscriber Information > User ID: your sip phone number issed by your SIP provider

Subscriber Information > Use Auth ID: yes

Subscriber Information > Call Capacity: unlimited for now, this will depend on your provider

Subscriber Information > Contact List: I have mine set to 100 and I want all calls coming in on this line to go straight to Ext.100

Proxy and Registration > Proxy: byo.engin.com.au

Proxy and Registration > Outbound Proxy: byo.engin.com.au

Proxy and Registration > Use Outbound Proxy: yes

Proxy and Registration > Register: yes

Proxy and Registration > Register Expires: 900

Proxy and Registration > Use DNS SRV: yes

Just make sure that the SIP Port for each line is different EG: LINE 2 should be 5063, LINE 3 should be 5064 etc. You cannot use a port that is already being used by another device.

If you want to setup you phones tones login to you phone:

a.Click the PBX Status link.
b. Find the phone that you want to configure, and then click the hyperlink in the IP
Address column.
c. Click Regional.
d. In the Call Progress Tones section, enter the values below
e. Click Submit All Changes.
f. Repeat this step as needed for each phone.

UK
Dial Tone: 350@-10;440@-10;*(*/0/1+2)
Outside Dial Tone: 425@-16;10(*/0/1)
Prompt Tone: 400@-19,620@-19;*(*/0/1+2)
Reorder Tone: 400@-10;*(0.4/0.35/1,0.225/0.525/1)
Off Hook Warning Tone: 425@-10;*(.2/.2/1,.2/.6/1)
Ring Back Tone: 400@-10;(0.4/0.2/1,0.4/2/1)
Busy Tone: 400@-10;10(0.375/0.375/1)
Call Waiting Tone: 400@-20;30(0.1/2/1)
Confirm Tone: 400@-16;1(20/0/1)

can't give you any help on the dialing plan. but hope this might help you sort out your inbound and outbound packet issues.

Cheers

Paul

PS I am also pretty new at working with the SAP9000 so if any readers see any mistakes in these comments please don't hesitate to correct me.

Dear Paul

Your post must rank as one of the most helpful posts I have seen! Many thanks for this, it should be put as a sticky on how to configure the SPS kit!! I really mean this.

I think this answers my orginal points very well, and thanks to this forum I am now getting calls in and out. The next stage is the SPA400, which should be easy but refuses to register, but the userguide for the Web UI is referring to an old firmware version so I think there is something wrong, but I will fight on with this and if needed add a separate topic as I think this one has serverd its purpose.

The UK specific dial plans were answered earlier in the thread and are working very well.  Thank you for the UK tone codes, I will have a look at this and see what needs changing.

Overall, this has been an interesting experience. Sadly I had to advise my client to sign up for some hosted SIP services, as I really did not feel he could be a guinea pig for this.  So whether I will ever be able to be confident  enough in this kit to resell it I doubt at the moment. Still I have a shiny new toy to play with, and use in the office perhaps, or just chuck on ebay when I am bored or find better things, or perhaps ResponsePoint eventually arrives on the UK shores.

Thanks to all who posted replies, much appreciated.

S

oh the other things I forget to mention that can be an important factor in VoIP services are.

1. It might help if you use an ISP who gives priority to VoIP data packets. (Which means that these get routed first ahead of other data packets)

2. Make sure you ADSL Modem / Router gives priority to VoIP packets. Most new ones do.

These two points will help to ensure that no matter how much bandwith your network is chewing up you should always get good unbroken VoIP calls.

The other thing you can do to improve voice quality is to use a 711a or 711u codec instead of the 729a or 729u. the 711 uses about 4 times as much data but the call quality is crystal clear, people cannot tell you are using VoIP. If you are planning on using 711 just make sure you have either an ADSL2 service of a dedicated business grade 512 / 512 ADSL connection. ADSL is probably better as you should be able to get up to 1Mbp up. I personally use a shared ADSL2 connection and can make 2 x 711a calls at the same time without any broken voice issues.

Paul

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content