cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spa962 daylight savings time - not working with static IP

uhudson_z
Level 1
Level 1

How to make a cisco 962 respect it's date and time server settings?

<Time_Zone group="Regional/Miscellaneous">GMT-08:00</Time_Zone>
<Time_Offset__HH_mm_ group="Regional/Miscellaneous"/>
<Daylight_Saving_Time_Rule group="Regional/Miscellaneous">start=3/2/7:2:0:0;end=11/1/7:2:0:0;save=1</Daylight_Saving_Time_Rule>
<Daylight_Saving_Time_Enable group="Regional/Miscellaneous">Yes</Daylight_Saving_Time_Enable>

It works when the test phone gets its setting int he test lab, but not at the actual client site where it counts.

At the customer site, it does nothing with the settings, sitting in a stone dead wrong time.

The only difference appears to be that the working one get it's ip from dhcp. The non-working setting was literally extracted from the phone, uploaded to another and it worked there but not on the phone it came from.

How to get this straightened out?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rvaltier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Uleave

I suppose that you are syncing phone with a NTP server, if SPA phone has no communication with NTP server DST rule doesn't work. When you get IP address configuration you may be getting from a valid range to communicate to NTP server.

Q. What happened if you set ip address gotten by dhcp as fixed on the phone?

Regards,

Rogelio V.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rvaltier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Uleave

I suppose that you are syncing phone with a NTP server, if SPA phone has no communication with NTP server DST rule doesn't work. When you get IP address configuration you may be getting from a valid range to communicate to NTP server.

Q. What happened if you set ip address gotten by dhcp as fixed on the phone?

Regards,

Rogelio V.

UPDATE

Thanks so much, you are awsome

turned it to dhcp, it got the time, then back to static

---------------------------------------------------------

I wish very much that DHCP could have been used, it was at one time.

The trouble is, we have a configuration gui that write the config files, and the only way we have found is to push the configs to the phones. (thus static ip's)

Polycoms are very convienient, they check for settings on reboot, but on Ciscos....  (there is supposed to be a way, but I could never get it to work)

Uleave,

You can configure phones by DHCP and they can retrieve configuration via http, tftp or https.

This documment can help you to create the appropiate provisioning rules and config files to load your phones (no matter DHCP or static IP)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9894

You just need you provisioning server having communication with SPA phones.

Hope this help

Regards,

Rogelio V.

jimgreen8c
Level 1
Level 1

When you set it up static, make sure you have a valid DNS assigned. The time server is time.nist.org and needs a Domain Name Server to translate to an IP address.