cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshooting a remote SPA525G2 voice dropping?

Hello Community.

Can anyone give me tips or advise troubleshooting "Outbound Only" voice quality on a remote user SPA525G2 using the built in VPN?

The phone was set up to a UC540 using the VPN Wizard in CCA (3.0).  The UC540 voice is SIP trunk.

Callers voice to the phone are fine.  What the caller hears is broken silences.

More details can be provided, just ask.

Thank you, Paul

14 Replies 14

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is MTP configured on the phone?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"MTP"?   explain.  Is it on the phone itself or something that is done while the phone is connected to the UC?

Out having dinner. Sorry for brevity.

Click the remote teleworker checkbox for the phone in CCA to enable media termination point.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Steven, the remote teleworker checkbox has been selected from the beginning.

What else do you have?  Is there something we can try to detect where the issue lies?

I need this resolved a.s.a. p.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Paul,

Do you know what Codec is being use on the Remote handset?

And do you know what Codec is being use for the SIP Trunk?

I wonder if there is transcoding taking place and or if the remote phones Internet link has some issues and is dropping packets??? If inbound calls to the remote phone are ok (On-Net Traffic) but outbound (On-Net Traffic at first) is not when the traffic goes "Off-Net", then this would be the place to start looking first.

It is just a thought at this stage, but maybe if you can elaborate a little further on the call flow topology it might help out with narrowing down on where the issue is stemming from, and then we can work backwards on it.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David, below is the codecs configured.  The 525 was initially connected and set up at the UC540 via CCA.  How do I tell what codec the remote phone is using?

Config:

trunk group ALL_FXO
max-retry 5
voice-class cause-code 1
hunt-scheme longest-idle
!
!
voice call send-alert
voice rtp send-recv
!
voice service voip
ip address trusted list
  ipv4 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
allow-connections h323 to h323
allow-connections h323 to sip
allow-connections sip to h323
allow-connections sip to sip
supplementary-service h450.12
no supplementary-service sip moved-temporarily
no supplementary-service sip refer
fax protocol t38 version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through g711ulaw
sip
  registrar server expires max 3600 min 3600
  no update-callerid
!
voice class codec 1
codec preference 1 g711ulaw
codec preference 2 g729r8
!
!
voice class cause-code 1
no-circuit
!
voice register global

Hi Paul,

Can you run the following command please:

ROUTER#sh ephone registered

Find the remote handset ephone and then tell me the preferred Code being used, this would be a good indicator as well.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

Usually choppy voice (Jitter - Variation in delay) is related to QoS.  The easiest way to test might to take the SPA to another location with a bigger bandwidth pipe or you could test off hours.  Computers are very "chatty" devices so they might be using up whatever bandwidth you have left for the voice calls.  For voice, QoS is usually applied on your phone (done automatically), switchports and WAN ports

Marcus, the remote location has Time-Warner, Roadrunner (Turbo).  3.0 Mb up & down.

After the TW modem is a Linksys WAP54G router.  These routes do not have settings fro QoS.

Like I mentioned above the SPA525G2 was set up connected to the UC540 via CCA 3.0.

It was checked to be a "Teleworker" phone and configured with the VPN Wizard.

I will attach the "Show Tech" from the other day.  Maybe there is something in there that I missed.

Please advise, and Thank you.  Paul

David, codec = g711ulaw

See attached document.  Paul

Hi Paul,

Your previous post to this one shows that you have ample upstream bandwidth to cater for this and also data usage as well.

There is a test we could do to eliminate bandwidth/Codec is being the issue and that would be to impose the G.729r8 Codec onto the phone that particular phone uses, test it for a couple of days and see how it goes.

However doing this yourself may put you out of scope with SBS support, unless you contact them and ask them to assist you over the phone to apply this change as CCA still does not allow for this basic function to take place, or you can take the risk and do it yourself just for testing and then remove it (Yes Steven will cringe reading this).

Personally this is what I would do as I like to follow an elimination process before contact support if I am confident in doing so without causing any issues, if you are the same then I recommend you do some eliminating process and then log a support case with SBS.

Cheers,

David.

David, do you the commands I will need to try to make the codec change?

Does the change just need to be made to the phone in question?

Thanks, Paul

Paul Santabarbara (psantabarbara@vistadata.com)

Vista Data Systems

1653 Merriman Rd.

Suite L 5

Akron OH 44313

Phone: (330) 864-5070 Ext.203

Fax: (330) 864-5090

DATA SYSTEMS

Visit us on the web at http://www.vistadata.com

Hi Paul,

Yeah sure

Basically you choose the ephone the phone is connect too, say ephone 1

You then go into configure mode and type in the following commands:

ROUTER# conf t

ROUTER (config-ephone)#ephone 1

ROUTER (config-ephone)#codec g729r8

This will impose the Codec onto that phone at next registration, you will need to reboot the phone and then you will need to check the ephone registration to see if it registered with that Codec.

NOTE: Do not commit it to memory unless it works for you and you want to keep that change.

Let me know how you went

Regards,

David Trad

Pre-Sales Consultant / Systems Engineer

Telstra Fixed Line, Mobile and Data Dealer

Telstra QLD Business Partner of the Year 2010

Aria Technologies Exceptional Partner Award 2009

Cytrack Best Professional Services 2009

Mob 0439 505 333 Tel 07 3456 0600 Fax 07 3891 1600

Address Unit 2 / 50 Logan Road, Woolloongabba, 4102

Phone Systems | Mobility & Wireless Solutions | Internet & Data Solutions | Service

Email d.trad@connecttelnorth.com.au  Web www.connecttelnorth.com.au

Hi Paul,

Did it work for you??

Curious to know if the problem has decreased or hasn't changed at all.

Also did you re-post my e-mail to you by accident or was that so others can see what you did to apply the change??

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: