Views
Helpful
Replies

uc 320 network topology design

TY08
Level 1
Level 1

guys,

i have some questions regarding setting up network with the uc 320 system. uc 320 will only be used for voice, and the other router will handle the data portion. there are 2 switches for voice and data as well, but the access point will connect to voice switch since it's a poe device. so basically this is what i have in placed

ISP

|

modem----- uc 320 (wan port)------esw 520 (voice sw)---- phones, and access points

|                                                  |

data router (wan port)----- cisco sg300 (data sw)----- workstations and servers

i am able to interconnect with all the devices with no problem, but i am still wondering if there is a loopback somewhere. i do find glitches from time to time, the internet would just stop for short period of time and works again, and i am not if it has to do with the uc or the desgin itsefl. i need to connect the 2 switches together so that the wireless users can get network through dhcp server.

let me know if there is another way of setting up the network.

9 Replies 9

Hi,

On the surface it looks good.  Do make sure you have the latest firmware in both switches.  Do make sure CDP/LLDP  is disabled (LAN-side)  in the data router.  The phones use these protocols to learn about the voice VLAN 100 on the UC320W.  Links between routers and switches and switch should be configured as trunk ports (switch smart ports).  If you are hanging Phones off the AP's you will need to make sure SSID and security provisioning is identical in AP and UC320W for voice SSID.

Another network topology that you could use if your data router supports a 3rd routed interface or an access VLAN is the topology described in the Greyfield SMARTDesign guide (partner access only):

Greyfield UC320W Smart Design Guide 

Chris

thanks for the input.

now we are getting spa8800. i tried to connect by using DHCP but for some reason it's no registered. i found out that the spa has 192.168.0.1 ip, and unfortunately out internal gateway is 192.168.0.1.

how do i change the internal ip on spa8800 and how do i connect to the network?

also, my existing data switch doesn't have trunk port configured, because i figured vlan 1 is going to be detected automatically. 

the link that you provided, it is useful. but on the last diagram, it appears that you need to connect the wan port on the uc 320 to the exisiting data vlan. so if that's the case that means the wan port and lan port are going to be in the same subnet. is that going to work?

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to connect the WAN port to a seperate VLAN.

Please post your IP address plan.

Did you change the data vlan of the UC320 to DHCP off and 192.168.0.0 subnet ?

Cheers

Jo

yes, i figured that too that the wan port of uc 320 has to be on different vlan. even though the uc 320 is set for voice topolgy only? but on this guide, Greyfield SMARTDesign guide, one of the diagram is showing it otherwise. 

anyway, as far as the implementation this is what i have

ISP

|

modem----- uc 320 (wan port)------esw 520 (voice sw)---- phones, and access points

data router (wan port)----- cisco sg300 (data sw)----- workstations and servers

uc 320 wan port is public ip, lan port is 192.168.0.250

data router wan port is public ip, lan port is 192.168.0.1

esw 520, lan port is 192.168.0.251

cisco sg300, lan port is 192.168.0.252

access point, lan port is 192.168.0.21 to 0.24

phones, is dhcp from 10.1.1.1-254

workstation, is dhcp from 192.168.0.150-230

spa8800, lan port 192.168.0.249 (currently isn't setup yet, because some reason the aux port on the unit has 192.168.0.1 and i am not too sure if i need to connect the etherner port to another public ip again because i don't have any more useable public ip)

i need to connect the spa8800 to the existing network.

thanks

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am pretty sure the lan port of the spa8800 needs to be in the 10.x.x.x subnet to register as a SIPua, like a phone

in my case it gets an ip from the voice vlan dhcp server after cdp discovers it as a voice device

yes i got that far too, but on uc 320 still shows up as unregistered. what about the ethernet port on spa8800, where do you connect that to?

Hi,

You should plug the Yellow Ethernet port of the SPA8800 into the ESW switch just like your SPA phones.  Do not connect anything into the Black Aux port on the SPA8800.   If you want to try to factory reset the SPA 8800, connect an analog phone in the FXS port 1 of the SPA8800.  Go off hook on the phone and dial '****', you will then hear Configuration menu, then dial 73738 (spell RESET on the phone keypad) followed by #, you will then hear 'Press 1 to confirm', dial 1.  Then wait about 30 seconds when you will then hear 'Operation Successful' and hang up the analog phone.

Also, you won't see anything registered until you enable ports in the UC320W configuration utility for the SPA8800 ports and perform an Apply.

Hope this helps.

Chris

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Blue,

Just for the fun of this morning I did a figment diagram of a network setup which I think resembles that of what you are trying to achieve... Although the SPA-8800 is not yet an addition to the network, that has yet to arrive and be placed into the network, but LAB staging cleared it as a method of integration.

Not sure if this is what you are trying to achieve, if it is then it works

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *