cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 with SGE2010P greyfield VLAN phone (SPA504) setup?

surfacessouth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm currently trying to set up my UC320 with greyfield and the appropriate VLAN settings without any luck at the moment. The UC320 is in voice only mode with a static IP on LAN of 192.168.17.253, the DCHP for the voice is 10.1.1.150-199. I'm having an issue where the phone will not find the DCHP over the VLAN on the SGE2010P for voice to connect to the UC320, phone is a SPA504

I have an ASA5510 as my DHCP for data of 192.168.17.100-199 connected to the SGE2010P as well

the SGE2010P switch is currently set as

Data - (default) VLAN 1 (untagged)

Voice - VLAN 100 static

1/g8 is set to trunk with 1u and 100 tagged - connected to LAN port on UC320

1/g32 connected to SPA504 phone port is set to trunk with 1u and 100 tagged

right now the phone is not seeing the U320, however if I change the 1/g32 to 100u (so there is only 100u) without the 1u data it will see the U320, but again I am then out of the 1u data and the computer on the data port of the phone wants a DHCP address from the UC320

can anyone please help me with the SGE2010P vlan configuration or maybe clue me in as to where my configuration has gone wrong, I would like the phones to recognize the U320 on DHCP for voice on the 100tagged to 10.1.1.150-199 and the data port to pass on the 1untagged with the DHCP 192.168.17.100-199 when I plug them in. I'm not quite sure if this is a phone configuration issue, UC320 config, or SGE2010P vlan config problem

Thank you very much for the help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Drew,

Make sure the firmware on the switch is up to date.  Factory reset the phone on the phone LCD menu.  Next thing I would look at is CDP.  The phone will know to start using VLAN 100 for voice via CDP advertisement indicating the voice VLAN is 100.  Make sure the switch is set for voice VLAN (I believe there is a check box for it).  Next make sure the switch isn't configured to pass CDP through it -- we don't want the phone to see CDP messages from your ASA which isn't advertizing the voice VLAN.

Hope this helps.

Chris

View solution in original post

Hi Drew,

I'm told that the switch should pass the CDP from the UC320W through it to the phones. 

To get you working I'm attaching two PMF files: one to force ALL phones and ALL SPA8800 gateways to use VLAN 100tagged (Voice VLAN).  The PC port in the back of the phone will still use VLAN 1untagged (Data VLAN).  The other PMF undoes the changes.

Please see the PMF Document for PMF installation instructions.  Once applied, you can then manually set the VLAN to 100 in the phone so that the phone will pull its configuration from the UC320W.  The Phone Config file from the UC320W will at this point have the VLAN set to 100 so you won't lose the change.

Please note that if you do need to use the UNDO PMF, you may have to factory reset each phone and gateway after you have installed and APPLYed the UNDO PMF.

These should address the problem.  A caution to others monitoring this thread is you should only use these if you know what you are doing.

Thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hi Drew,

Make sure the firmware on the switch is up to date.  Factory reset the phone on the phone LCD menu.  Next thing I would look at is CDP.  The phone will know to start using VLAN 100 for voice via CDP advertisement indicating the voice VLAN is 100.  Make sure the switch is set for voice VLAN (I believe there is a check box for it).  Next make sure the switch isn't configured to pass CDP through it -- we don't want the phone to see CDP messages from your ASA which isn't advertizing the voice VLAN.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Firmware on the switch is up to date, tried factory reset the phone yesterday before my post and again today, there is no checkbox on the switch for voice VLAN (created VLAN 100), the ASA5510 does not support CDP... any other suggestions?

Thank you for the help!

Drew

Hi Chris,

I just got off the phone with Small Business support and am very disappointed in what I am hearing. Here are the key points and also a very strong and urgent request for a firmware update to the SGE2010P switch!!! or maybe do something on the UC320 side and SPA phones urgent to fix this!!

The SGE2010P (and SGE series switches) do not support CDP or LLDP (firmware update urgent!!!!!)

Because the SGE does not support those, the phones will not see the UC320 over VLAN 100

(Workaround try with Support) We configured the SPA504 phone on startup to enable VLAN 100, however, once the phone connects to (sees) the UC320 it reboots and the settings are removed and there is no way to change them AND it drops VLAN 100 settings (again no way to change after it contacts the UC320, no way to unlock, no way to change anything)!!! Maybe firmware update urgent for the UC320! Something to fix the SPA phones?

From talking to support, the SG300 series switches have a firmware update to support CDP and LLDP, however these are not 48port GB with POE! In other words we spent a LOT of money on VERY good equipment that is all small business and does not work together?

Right now we are supposed to install the phone system this coming monday, and I am currently not able to in any way shape or form, there is no workaround, this is all Cisco Small Business equipment and I'm not sure if you can get a quick firmware update for me or if I should return everything and buy a cheaper solution that works... again please let me know ASAP what Cisco can do

Regards,

Drew

Hi Drew,

I'm going from memory here since it is some time since I have set this particular combination up, but you should be able to get this working if you manually configure vlan 100 on the switch and make sure the ports are configured as trunk ports with vlans 1 and 100 being allowed.

If you do this config, then the boot process works something like the following:

• Phone boots up and starts listening on VLAN 1
  • UC320 is sending out CDP messages on VLAN 1 with a voice vlan of 100.  The SGE switch is transparent to the CDP messages so it floods them to all ports since they are multicast packets.
  • Phone sees the CDP message and switches to vlan 100.
  • Since the switch has vlan 100 configured and the phones are plugged into trunk ports, the phone is able to see the UC300 on vlan 100 and gets configured ok and operates normally.

Granted the manual configuration is a bit annoying, and certainly the 200 and 300 series switches will give you a much better experience here, but you should be able to get this going without too much trouble.  Give it a go and let us know if you can't get it working.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

This is how the switch is configured, however in a voice only scenario the CDP messages are on VLAN 100 and the switch does not allow CDP auto pass, if we manually configure the phone to VLAN 100 on startup it sees the UC320 but then reverts to VLAN 1 and can not be manually configured again + does not see the UC320... all of my ports are Trunk with 1U and 100T

After speaking with Cisco support for 3 hours last night, and the support representative testing with the same equipment, we have both run into the same scenario and there is no way to configure these devices to work together without a firmware update for at least the SGE series switches to allow CDP and LLDP for Auto Pass

I'm not sure if/when Cisco will release a firmware update for any of these devices to either allow manual configuration of the phones, the UC320, or the SGE2010P and SGE2000P swtiches that I have. I need one of these devices to allow me to connect the UC320 to the phones on VLAN100 and fast!

Thank you for your respones and please let me know if we can get a firmware update going here ASAP!

Regards,

Drew

Drew,

In an effort to explore a workaround, do you plan to plug PCs into the PC port on the back of the phones?  If not, then simply make the switchports for the phones all access ports for VLAN 100.  I'll also explore if we can build a PMF to force the phones to VLAN 100 for you.  Do you have a SPA8800 in this installation too?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I plan on plugging the PC's into the PC port on the phones and do not have enough drops in all locations to avoid this, especially in the remote office where the SGE2000P is located. The only way that the phones currently work with the UC320 is to set the SGE2010P port to Access mode 100U (PVID 100) and therefore can not get data from 1U on the switchport connection on the phone. I do not have a SPA8800

Thank you for the quick reply

Drew

Hi Drew,

I'm told that the switch should pass the CDP from the UC320W through it to the phones. 

To get you working I'm attaching two PMF files: one to force ALL phones and ALL SPA8800 gateways to use VLAN 100tagged (Voice VLAN).  The PC port in the back of the phone will still use VLAN 1untagged (Data VLAN).  The other PMF undoes the changes.

Please see the PMF Document for PMF installation instructions.  Once applied, you can then manually set the VLAN to 100 in the phone so that the phone will pull its configuration from the UC320W.  The Phone Config file from the UC320W will at this point have the VLAN set to 100 so you won't lose the change.

Please note that if you do need to use the UNDO PMF, you may have to factory reset each phone and gateway after you have installed and APPLYed the UNDO PMF.

These should address the problem.  A caution to others monitoring this thread is you should only use these if you know what you are doing.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I wanted to say thank you very much again for the quick response, the PMF is EXACTLY what was needed for a workaround! Cheers and thank you for the support fix again!!

Regards,

Drew

I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same behavior with a UC540 and SGE2010P with SPA 504 phones.  Is there any chance to get a PMF file for the UC540?

Thanks,

Joe

mrazmik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Drew,

I am glad that you have a workaround for your issue. Your switch VLAN configuration is correct and it should work. I verifified the setup in my lab and I do not see any problems. SPA504G configured with VLAN 100 and registered...

Can you please tell us if you have IGMP snooping and Mcast filtering enabled in your switch ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: