cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320W + SPA525G shows only x770101?

chrisguertin
Level 1
Level 1

I just set up a new UC320W (downloaded latest firmware) and attached 1 x SPA504G (ethernet) and 1 x SPA525G (Wi-Fi).  The SPA504G is working OK and displaying the correct extentions on it's buttons, etc.  The SPA525G shows up on the UC320W menus as connected and configured but doesn't appear to be set up correctly.  It only shows a key for x770101 instead of the extentions that were assigned to it.  The SPA504G shows it's buttons correctly.  Both phones downloaded new firmware when they were attached.  Do I have a bad SPA525G or have I done something wrong?

I may try attaching the SPA525G directly to ethernet to see if that makes any difference.

Any help appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chris,

We think we see what happened to cause your fustration.  The SPA525G has two models in the field:

SPA 525G  -- This allows a bluetooth headset to be paired with the phone.

SPA 525G2 -- This allow a bluetooth headset to be paired with the phone but you can also pair a bluetooth phone with the SPA 525G2 and make one of the line buttons send the audio out your cellular connection.

When the SPA 525G2 came out we did not change the device name on the front of the phone, but it does reflect the SPA525G2 on the back of the phone on the label with the serial number and MAC address.  Unless you know to look at the back of the phone one might miss that the phone is actually a SPA 525G2.

Because there is a difference in bluetooth configuration between these two models, the UC320W has two different  config files that it uses for the base depending on the model.

What we think happend here was when the phone was manually configured the phone type chosen, didn't match the actual phone model.  So all of the configuration you made for the user of the phone went into a config file that the actual phone wouldn't load.  Instead it was loading a config file generated by auto detection which gives it the 777101 extension.

I will see if we can enhance the GUI to ask the user to check the phone model on the back of the phone for SPA525 phones.

Thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi Chris,

The SPA525G should be connected via Ethernet when it is configured initially.  In doing so it will download the WiFi settings necessary to communicate with the UC320W.  The x770101  is a default extension the system will assign a new unseen phone by the system.  This means that the SPA525 phone was connected after the system was configured, but the phone and user has not been configured for that phone.

Suggest connecting the SPA525G to Ethernet, after it has booted then log into the UC320W and configure the device if not configured already.  Apply the configuration.  When system comes back up you should be able to unplug the Ethernet and phone works via WiFi.

Chris

I tried this after I posted the original message.  I did a factory reset on the phone, connected via ethernet and it seems to have done most of the config.  It connected to the correct VLAN, set up it's own Wi-Fi settings (slick!) but still didn't go all the way to configuring the buttons.  I can pick it up and dial the extention of the other phone but it won't receive any calls and still displays x770101 on the panel.  Any ideas?  Should I delete it from the UC320W and let it be rediscovered or something?

I still can't get this phone to work.  The exact same thing happened with this exact model at the SMB Nation Fall Show training session for the UC320W I sat in.  The Cisco folks there couldn't resolve it either.  I had hoped someone had identified this bug by now.

I am going to clear it back to factory defaults again and clear the UC320W back to factory and start over again, hoping for a better result.  I can't have this happen at a client site so am going to hold off promoting and selling these systems for the time being.  I'm sure glad this happened in my test environment and not a client engagement.

I hope this will help other users in the future...

The SPA525G I was having all the problems with finally configured OK when I allowed the UC320W to discover it on it's own.  I had originally keyed all the MAC addresses of the SPA phones (multiple models) I was going to use since I knew I wouldn't be connecting them right away.  All the other models still configured OK when brought online but the SPA525G had to be disconnected, deleted, factory reset, auto-discovered and then added to the UC320. 

The phone works fine now (including on Wi-Fi after initial config via Ethernet) and picks up any config changes directed to it.

This was a huge time waster and seems to be reproducible with some consistency so it should be corrected or at least documented.

Thanks all and have a good one.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the follow up post.  This will help us get this sorted out.  We'll take this information back to the lab and get the problem addressed. 

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

We think we see what happened to cause your fustration.  The SPA525G has two models in the field:

SPA 525G  -- This allows a bluetooth headset to be paired with the phone.

SPA 525G2 -- This allow a bluetooth headset to be paired with the phone but you can also pair a bluetooth phone with the SPA 525G2 and make one of the line buttons send the audio out your cellular connection.

When the SPA 525G2 came out we did not change the device name on the front of the phone, but it does reflect the SPA525G2 on the back of the phone on the label with the serial number and MAC address.  Unless you know to look at the back of the phone one might miss that the phone is actually a SPA 525G2.

Because there is a difference in bluetooth configuration between these two models, the UC320W has two different  config files that it uses for the base depending on the model.

What we think happend here was when the phone was manually configured the phone type chosen, didn't match the actual phone model.  So all of the configuration you made for the user of the phone went into a config file that the actual phone wouldn't load.  Instead it was loading a config file generated by auto detection which gives it the 777101 extension.

I will see if we can enhance the GUI to ask the user to check the phone model on the back of the phone for SPA525 phones.

Thanks,

Chris

This appears to be exactly what happened.  If I turn the phone over it does indeed say SPA525G2.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: