Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320W WAN VLAN tagging

voyvoyv0y
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any plans to add support for VLAN tagging on the WAN interface of the UC320W?

I don't mean for it to support multiple VLANs, I just need to to tag the WAN interface a particular VLAN for QoS purposes (dot1p)

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Hi Voy,

We already tag traffic at layer 3 with DiffServ.  You can find the values here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3379912#3379912

Chris

Thanks Chris, but that doesn't really help me - the problem is our carrier provides circuits with a certain CIR - any traffic over that CIR can be discarded. The only way to prevent this is to mark traffic we need with 802.1p to make it discard ineligible - and to make use of 802.1p we need 802.1Q headers on the WAN side

Hi Voy,

At this time the only device that supports tagging on the WAN port in the Cisco Small Business line is the SA500 series.  This tagging however is only available in PPPoE mode.

Worth mentioning that the SRP500 supports WAN tagging as well.  Given it is not a UTM appliance, it is a bit more cost-effective, at least for this application.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi,

Currently, we don't support VLAN tagging on the WAN link.  What if you set your WAN bandwidth to the CIR on the WAN page and let the UC320W QoS filter/rate limit the traffic for you?

Chris

That's pretty much our only option - however it's not 100% foolproof as our circuit speeds are much greater than the CIR - ie. for a 100 Mbit circuit we would get something like 2.5 Mbit/s CIR.

Also the queuing strategy is random drop, so as soon as there's traffic over 2.5 Mbit/s it may start dropping packets randomly (terrible for voice, as you can imagine) - so unless we cripple the 100M circuit by rate limiting to 2.5M, L3 QoS is not particularly useful.

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

Have you considered putting a small managed switch in front of the UC?

If I am understanding your needs correctly, you could just:

Port 1: Access port to VLAN you need tagged as. (UC320)

Port 2: 802.1Q trunk with VLAN in question set as tagged. (Uplink)