Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

UC500 and switching to G729 codec for SIP trunking and phone to phone calling

Hi,

I've been doing a fair amount of searching to try to find a simple tutorial or list of CLI commands, but I am trying to change the voice codec on our UC500 from G711 ro G729 to save bandwidth.  Many of our UC500 deployments will be using Satellite for Internet access, and although I have proven that it works very well using G711, G729 could save our customers a great deal of bandwidth and money.

What I am seeing in the literature seems to suggest that the AA and voicemail cannot be reconfigured for G729, but can the SIP trunk, phone to phone calls on the network, and remote teleworker calls be configured for this alternate codec?  I'm a CLI newbie, so any help that anybody can give me to make this change would be excellent.  Thanks in advance,

Seth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Re: UC500 and switching to G729 codec for SIP trunking and phone

Hi Seth,

Curiously, and I hate to ask such a basic question, what are the
commands required to get to the point where you are configuring the
ephone and not the DN?  I assume that once I have entered that mode in
the CLI, I just issue the command "codec g729r8", is this correct?  Or
was it meant to imply that I simply telnet into the ephone itself,
enter config mode, and enter the command?

As basic as you may think the questions is, doesnt really matter everyone on these forums are either here for help or to help others, and in any event it is always best to ask questions first before attempting to do something, i have learnt the hardway that doing things on your own steam when you know nothing about it is dangerous :)

Do the following commands:

1. Telnet or SSH into the UC-500 (What ever you prefer to use, my choice is SSH especially when doing it from a remote location)
  2. type "conf t" on the command line press enter
  3. type "ephone  XX" (Make sure you press the space bar twice after you type "ephone" and the XX represents what ever ephone you want to change) press enter
  4. Put in the codec command "codec g729r8" press enter
  5. type "end" press enter
  6. At the exec command line type "wri mem" this will write your new configuration to memory and save the configuration (Again press enter)

If your system was built with CCA then i would at this stage assume it is maintaining its default IP address range of 192.168.10.1, if you customised it then use what ever IP address you gave it to session into the system.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
12 REPLIES
Bronze

Check this document on how to configure SIP trunk on the UC500 with some additional CLI tips:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9562

Section 4.4.3 is what you want to focus on - you need to configure a transcoder on the UC520 if the SIP Trunk codec is G729 to allow for calls from SIP trunks to /from IP phones and to the voicemail /auto attendant.

Community Member

Hi Seth,

I've been doing a fair amount of searching to try to find a simple
tutorial or list of CLI commands, but I am trying to change the voice
codec on our UC500 from G711 ro G729 to save bandwidth.  Many of our
UC500 deployments will be using Satellite for Internet access, and
although I have proven that it works very well using G711, G729 could
save our customers a great deal of bandwidth and money.

The below command allows you to manipulate the choice of Codecs used and in what preferred order, if yours looks like this it woudl indicate that G729 is your first preferrence, if it isnt then swap it around.

If you do a "sh run" command on the CLI and press the spar bar about 3 times, you should see the voice class codec command there, have a look and verify it.

voice class codec 1
codec preference 1 g729r8
codec preference 2 g711ulaw

I am trying to get my head around this though?

but can the SIP trunk, phone to phone calls on the network, and remote teleworker calls be configured for this alternate codec?

I can understand you may want to use G729 for SIP trunking, and i would say yeah sure why not :) but not sure as to why you would want to use it for internal calls, if you are running 100Mbit in the office and the UC-500 is using Vlans, the voice packet integrity is safe and so is the Data Packets.

Anyway that is your call, and not for me to tell you otherwise, you may have your reasons, so if you want your phones using a specific codec, then do the following command on the Ephone (Not the DN):

codec g729r8

So it should look like this:

ephone  1
video
mac-address XXXX.XXXX.XXXX
paging-dn 1
codec g729r8
type 7962
button  1:1
night-service bell

The aove will allow you to dictate the codec the phones will use, the only time i ever do this is when IP phones are working over a WAN, or unless i am trying to debug something which is rare.

Goog luck and make sure you read the info that Marcos posted, it can help significantly.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Community Member

Hi David,

Thanks for response.  I have downloaded that Marcos attached and have read it through.

As for the phone-specific codec swap, it is for the reason that you had mentioned - a remote teleworker setup where we want to decrease the bandwidth to and from said teleworker.

Curiously, and I hate to ask such a basic question, what are the commands required to get to the point where you are configuring the ephone and not the DN?  I assume that once I have entered that mode in the CLI, I just issue the command "codec g729r8", is this correct?  Or was it meant to imply that I simply telnet into the ephone itself, enter config mode, and enter the command?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Seth

Community Member

Hi Seth,

Curiously, and I hate to ask such a basic question, what are the
commands required to get to the point where you are configuring the
ephone and not the DN?  I assume that once I have entered that mode in
the CLI, I just issue the command "codec g729r8", is this correct?  Or
was it meant to imply that I simply telnet into the ephone itself,
enter config mode, and enter the command?

As basic as you may think the questions is, doesnt really matter everyone on these forums are either here for help or to help others, and in any event it is always best to ask questions first before attempting to do something, i have learnt the hardway that doing things on your own steam when you know nothing about it is dangerous :)

Do the following commands:

1. Telnet or SSH into the UC-500 (What ever you prefer to use, my choice is SSH especially when doing it from a remote location)
  2. type "conf t" on the command line press enter
  3. type "ephone  XX" (Make sure you press the space bar twice after you type "ephone" and the XX represents what ever ephone you want to change) press enter
  4. Put in the codec command "codec g729r8" press enter
  5. type "end" press enter
  6. At the exec command line type "wri mem" this will write your new configuration to memory and save the configuration (Again press enter)

If your system was built with CCA then i would at this stage assume it is maintaining its default IP address range of 192.168.10.1, if you customised it then use what ever IP address you gave it to session into the system.

Cheers,

David.

Community Member

Thanks a ton David,

I have applied the changes to the phone(s).  Is there any way to determine that these are now using the 729 codec rather than the 711?

Seth

Try:  'show sip-ua calls'

Community Member

Hi Steve,

When I run that command from a Telnet session, I get the following output, even when I have a live call from either my CIPC (should be G729) or my 525G deskphone (should be G711):

UC520#show sip-ua calls
SIP UAC CALL INFO

Number of SIP User Agent Client(UAC) calls: 0

SIP UAS CALL INFO

Number of SIP User Agent Server(UAS) calls: 0

Maybe I'm running it incorrectly?  Thanks for the speedy reply.

Seth

For stable calls established out over the SIP trunk, I was thinking it would look more like this:

SBCS-Main#show sip-ua calls               
SIP UAC CALL INFO

Call 1
SIP Call ID                : 4F5B8AF3-7A0711DE-8100CB1D-7A5AEC2C@sipconnect-fca.atl0.cbeyond.net
   State of the call       : STATE_RECD_PROCEEDING (4)
   Substate of the call    : SUBSTATE_NONE (0)
   Calling Number          : 678397....
   Called Number           : 1919392....
   Bit Flags               : 0xC04018 0x100 0x4200
   CC Call ID              : 5890
   Source IP Address (Sig ): 12.........
   Destn SIP Req Addr:Port : 72.16.223.88:5060
   Destn SIP Resp Addr:Port: 72.16.223.88:5060
   Destination Name        : sip-proxy-fca.atl0.cbeyond.net
   Number of Media Streams : 1
   Number of Active Streams: 1
   RTP Fork Object         : 0x0
   Media Mode              : flow-through
   Media Stream 1
     State of the stream      : STREAM_ACTIVE
     Stream Call ID           : 5890
     Stream Type              : voice+dtmf (1)
     Negotiated Codec         : g711ulaw (160 bytes)
     Codec Payload Type       : 0
     Negotiated Dtmf-relay    : rtp-nte
     Dtmf-relay Payload Type  : 101
     Media Source IP Addr:Port: 12.......:18450
     Media Dest IP Addr:Port  : 72.16.223.241:27962
     Orig Media Dest IP Addr:Port : 0.0.0.0:0

Options-Ping    ENABLED:NO    ACTIVE:NO
   Number of SIP User Agent Client(UAC) calls: 1

SIP UAS CALL INFO

Number of SIP User Agent Server(UAS) calls: 0

Community Member

Steve,

I think I'm understanding now.  The codecs that I changed are not on the SIP trunk itself, but on the remote teleworker devices.  I followed the direction provided by David to make these changes (see above) in the hope that it would decrease bandwidth requirements over the WAN.  If I misunderstood or if there is another way to check this, please let me know.

Seth

Bronze

You can also check the codec on the IP phone itself when on a call - hit the "i" or "?" button twice and should see something like:

RxType: G.729 TxType: G.729

Community Member

Hi Seth,

I think I'm understanding now.  The codecs that I changed are not on the SIP trunk itself, but on the remote teleworker devices.

Yes that is correct, i might have misunderstood what you wanted as this is what i directed you to do, was to apply the forced Codec onto a specific phone, not on a trunk.

I followed the direction provided by David to make these changes (see
above) in the hope that it would decrease bandwidth requirements over
the WAN.

G729r8 Codec will decrease the bandwidth significantly over the WAN as apposed to G711, what i probably failed to mention was that each phone would need a restart that you apply the forced Codec onto, they would need to re-register and know which Codec to use.

A good way to find out what each phone is locked into using is type "sh ephone reg" this will show you each ephone that is registered and what Codec it is using.

If you are wanting your SIP trunk to use G729 only, then in the method i showed you above in the voice class codec preferrences, you need to make sure that G729 is your first one, however though this does not guarantee you the G729 codec will be used by your ITSP, they may opt to use the G711 derivative, at which point you can try to force the G729 on them by removing all other codecs from the preference tabel (Not recommended by some like to do it this way).

What i am not sure about here is if we are talking about two seperate issues, can you clarify this for me:

1. Are we talking about remote Teleworkers coming into the system over the WAN? or
  2. Are we talking about the SIP trunk to your ITSP and reducing its bandwidth? or
  3. Are we talking about both but just musing them together somehow?

My apologies if i have confused you due to me not understanding what it was you actually wanted to achieve.

Cheers,

David.

Community Member

Hi David,

I was originally looking for information on how to change the overal codecs originally.  Your argument against doing this persuaded me to look for an option to just change the codec on the remote teleworker device (and subsequently, all CIPCs as they will mostly be used when out of the office).  I made the changes per your instructions, and have be able to check their registration and codec use with the commands that you have provided.  Thanks very much for your help with this.

At this time, I don't have a SIP trunk configured, but will likely move this direction in the future and will review these instructions at that time.  Thanks!

Seth

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content