Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

UC500 Phone License Question

Hello,

I'm putting together a quote for a customer who wants a UC520 8 User System. He says his employees want to be able to use softphones when not in the office. He also has 3 remote workers.

First, do all uc520 system support up to 10 VPNs or is that only for the 48 user systems?

Second, I understand the 8 user system comes with 2 soft phone licenses but is there any way a desk phone user can use a softphone when they are not using their deskphone? Somehow I doubt it but I thought I'd try to find a solution for the customer. Any advice?

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: UC500 Phone License Question

I believe that the smaller systems also support 10 VPN tunnels.

But no, you cannot use a softphone when not using a hardphone without some serious reconfiguration, when you don't want to do when someone wants to switch devices.

Yes, all SKUs support max 10 VPN tunnels.

Tomoo posted a nice doc on how to SHARE your desk phone with a CIPC:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-7988

But I think the fact that the CIPC is a Ethernet Phone (Ephone) operating with SCCP (skinny), it consumes a license even if shared.

Community Member

Michael - the "hidden" licenses on the boxes (2 for 8/16 user and 4 for 24 user box and up) can be used for anything you like - softphones, hardphones, whatever.

Each registered phone takes up one license. So if they have 2 phones (one hard, one soft) then that is 2 licenses.

And all models support 10 VPN Tunnels...

5 REPLIES

I believe that the smaller systems also support 10 VPN tunnels.

But no, you cannot use a softphone when not using a hardphone without some serious reconfiguration, when you don't want to do when someone wants to switch devices.

Yes, all SKUs support max 10 VPN tunnels.

Tomoo posted a nice doc on how to SHARE your desk phone with a CIPC:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-7988

But I think the fact that the CIPC is a Ethernet Phone (Ephone) operating with SCCP (skinny), it consumes a license even if shared.

Community Member

Michael - the "hidden" licenses on the boxes (2 for 8/16 user and 4 for 24 user box and up) can be used for anything you like - softphones, hardphones, whatever.

Each registered phone takes up one license. So if they have 2 phones (one hard, one soft) then that is 2 licenses.

And all models support 10 VPN Tunnels...

Community Member

I have a customer with UC520-8U-4FXO-K9.  I've shut down the FXS ports & deleted their respective ephones.

Cust has 5 524s & 4 softphones.

The 9th softphone registers & then says out of licenses.

I've confirmed there only 9 ephones in config.

Suggestions? Open TAC case?

Community Member

This should have done it. Make sure you also delete the sctapp commands, as well as the dial peers that invoke ports 0/0/0 through 0/0/3

Marcos

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content