cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 CUE Crash - power outage - HELP!!

JOHN NIKOLATOS
Level 3
Level 3

Hi guys.. I have a client with a crashed CUE module in the CUE side of the UC520.  I have managed to get into the CUE module and see that it needs a Check disk... for FSCK but I do not know how to do this?  Any ideas?

I have opened CCA 311 and I can go to upgrade and place the latest software pack down and choose just to upgrade CUE... It made it 95% through and then it reboots and says can not mount partition....

Right now I am manually trying to upgrade CUE...  I have FTP'd the  cue-installer.pkg file and it starts the same type of upgrade the wizard did... but I get this message... "NO SDA1" device on mounting..

cleaning fs
prepfs.sh: freddo reiser /mnt clean
hd_name: /dev/sda
hd_part: /dev/sda1
partition_disk: /mnt clean /dev/sda1
umount: /dev/sda1: not mounted
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
check_partition_count: 1

Unable to open /dev/sda
mkreiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)

Failed to open '/dev/sda1': No such device or address.

Failed to open '/dev/sda1': No such device or address.

Any ideas? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi John,

I have seen this quite a few times and have had to RMA a few machines because of it, due to our lovely storm seasons here in Australia, and clients skimping out on a UPS, the UC's don't take to favorably to a SAG and then a complete outage, they can recover from an outage most times, but when it gets hit with a SAG (Low current/voltage) and a brief surge and then complete outage, the CUE is the first thing to go.

I suspect either the DB has gone the way of the DoDo birds, or the Compact Flash Card (Its HDD) has managed to get itself a bad sector (The most common thing to go wrong after a power loss).

I would strongly encourage you to contact SBS and log a case, have them look at it via CLI and get them to determine it's status, if it had gone bad you would want to RMA the system as quickly as possible and get them to help you with license and config transfer.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

JOHN NIKOLATOS
Level 3
Level 3

Also is there a command to format the CUE module?.. I feel like I have to format the module first before the software upgrade/install.....  

Do you know what CUE version?

You should be able to get to the boot loader and reinstall CUE.

During boot up of CUE you should be able to interrupt and get to the boot loader then do a reinstall.

The CUE admin manual will detail how to reinstall.

Maybe this will help?:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel2_1/cme_cli/ch2a_upg.html#wp1128838

Good luck.

I am in boot loader... and I have done the upgrade proceedures...  this happens in the middle of doing the upgrade...

I think a format command would help here.... anyone know this?  But please look at my original post..  maybe something else is going on...

Hi John,

I have seen this quite a few times and have had to RMA a few machines because of it, due to our lovely storm seasons here in Australia, and clients skimping out on a UPS, the UC's don't take to favorably to a SAG and then a complete outage, they can recover from an outage most times, but when it gets hit with a SAG (Low current/voltage) and a brief surge and then complete outage, the CUE is the first thing to go.

I suspect either the DB has gone the way of the DoDo birds, or the Compact Flash Card (Its HDD) has managed to get itself a bad sector (The most common thing to go wrong after a power loss).

I would strongly encourage you to contact SBS and log a case, have them look at it via CLI and get them to determine it's status, if it had gone bad you would want to RMA the system as quickly as possible and get them to help you with license and config transfer.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Dave, I agree but there must be a command to format that cue module first?

If it is true software corruption that should be easily fixed. Also - check disk command should be there. The software upgrade actually says something to the extent "fsck" needs to be run. 

I just need to know how to do it?  Maybe it is some automatically and fails and I dont notice it?

Hi John,

I am doing some research for you, If I had a system that I could put into bootloader mode right now I would do it for you and then give you the process, but sadly even the LAB system I have here is used for production purposes as well

There is this link I found HERE that might help.

If I am not mistaken the CUE uses a PowerPC Linux kernel, which means it should have the standard Linux commands for doing a disk scan.

You would need to get into bootloader mode and then do the "?" command to see what options are available for you, if my research yields any further info I will re-post.

Cheers,

David.

Hi, John:

From your description, I think the CF is damaged.

We do have Linux shell for engineering image, but not for release image.

So, please open a case and we will help you to see if we can rescure your box.

You did the installation from bootloader mode.

Please attached the completed console log to the case.

Thanks,

David Liao

We had to replace the Unit. 

Hi, John:

I do not think this unit is a RMA candidate.

Like you mentioned, format CF probably can fix the issue.

Could you send your contact email to me, dliao@cisco.com.

If you have the installation console log that will help the process quickly.

Thanks,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: