cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 Questions

jwashline1
Level 1
Level 1

I want to upgrade my current VoIP configuration of a SPA9000/SPA400 with a UC520-8U-4FXO-K9.  I am using SPA921 phones, are they compatible with the UC520?  How difficult is the setup for the UC520, the SPA9000 was very simple and easy to use. 

6 Replies 6

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SPA900 phones are not supported on the UC500.

I can't remember if these phones can run SCCP (I don't think they can) so in that case you'd need to run SIP CME.  CCA doesn't do that outside of the box, but if you're okay with administering the box from the CLI, you can make it happen.  It just won't be TAC supported, since we only support SIP CME to Cisco IP phones (which the SPA900 Linkysys phones aren't a part of, technically).

If I understand correctly:  The SPA921 phones can be  used with the UC520 but I need to run SIP CME, but the Cisco Config Assist doesn't support that configuration.  I would have to admininster the UC520 from the command line to set it up.  Does that apply to the SPA921 as well, they would have to be individually managed?

It is always better to administer using CLI. Other means do not produce good results or no results at all.

p.bevilacqua wrote:

It is always better to administer using CLI. Other means do not produce good results or no results at all.

Although I agree that I personally prefer the CLI too, using the CLI over CCA for the UC5XX products is a very slippery slope if you want TAC support.  Those products were designed around configuration via the CCA GUI.

The UC520 runs the same code as a router + CUE, only older in some case.

.There is actually nothing in this code "designed for GUI".

There are so many things that the GUI doesn't do, that it would be an infinite list.

Cisco can have taken whatever TAC decision as they want, that doesn't change the simple facts: CLI or just give up on results.

Thanks for responses,  agree that CLI provides for much better control/admin of the box.