cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC560 SIP Trunk to Mitel 5500

v0r73x117
Level 1
Level 1

We're looking to configure a UC560 with a SIP trunk over a Site-Site VPN to a Mitel 5500 (to run latest version 5). This is purely for site to site calls via internal DDI's.

Having a quick hunt round I see a few brief items regarding Cisco CME to Mitel kit but they are generally older documents.

Can anyone help provide config examples or confirmation of it working / setup documents and guides perhaps from Cisco?

Any help or advice appreciated.

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Documents don't need to be new to be good.

Start with a regular configuration and go from there taking traces as necessary.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

To make it work with some satisfactory results, you will need to setup a SIP-DN to communicate back to the Mitel setting up a SIP-TRUNK will not work the way you expect it to.

However setting up a SIP-DN is not CCA supported (Maybe versions 3.2?) so you will need to do this VIA CLI, and you will need a VPN between sites As well.

Hope this helps in some way :-)

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David, why the OP should create a configure a SIP phone and not a trunk ?

My understanding, the Mitel 5000 is a PBX, not a phone.

Hi Paolo,

I suggested a SIP-DN because its just much easier and works better with a

Mitel as it does with an NEC and LG-iPecs, I spent a fair bit of time doing

interop testing and on all three systems, a SIP-DN proved to be much better

because it is perceived as an extension, which makes call routing so much

more easier on both systems

Plus a SIP-Trunk is designed to talk to a SIP-Server or Session Border

Controller and most systems do not have the capacity to support this

methodology fully or properly (Some do with significant licensing costs),

they were not designed for this type of setup.

With an LG iPecs the only way to get it to work right is with a H.323 trunk

as SIP just won't do it because they have a wearied SIP implementation that

does not appear to be standard, Mitel on the other hand have their own

issues with SIP trunking (Good systems don't get me wrong).

Again I only said what I said based on my own extensive testing, others

experiences may be different to mine

Cheers,

David.

On Apr 14, 2012 9:36 PM, "p.bevilacqua" <

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David, I hear what you're saying, and there is no subsitute for hands-on expereince, but al least in theory:

• SIP DN requires registration. In turn that requires more config on the third-party system.
  • How CME is supposed to call all any extension on the third-party? Logically it would appear that CME would able to call only the number that is registered? Maybe you would register the third-party with a wildcard pattern ?

v0r73x117
    Level 1
    Level 1

Thanks for the comments! I'm due some bits from the Mitel side (software upgrades are needed first unfortunately) so haven't been able to crack on and test. Will update when alls good (or I have no hair left from pulling out in frustration ).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: