Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading a Phone

jaydien1358
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

What is the proper procedure for upgrading a user's phone without having to recreate the ephone DN?

Can you just go in to the DN and change the MAC and Phone Type? I tried doing it that way and was met with some resistance from my UC. The end result was to just use the DN that was auto-created when booting up the phone for the first time and transferring the settings. Seems like more trouble than it should be and that I should have been able to reuse the existing DN.

Thanks.

-Brian

www.jaydien.com

4 Replies 4

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

Are you trying to upgrade the phone firmware, change the phone dn, change the phone type and MAC?  I am not sure what you are looking to do.

I'm trying to switch out a user's physical phone from a 7960 to a 7965. New device.

-Brian

Skyler Spence
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Brian,

I replied to you in an email regarding this matter, but for the community the following is the proper method for changing the mac-address and type of an ephone via CLI.

1.       1.  Unplug the original physical phone from the UC500

2.       2.  Wait for the phone to show as unregistered.  To view this, use the CLI command show ephone registered and wait until the ephone you wish to change does not show up.

3.  Once the phone has unregistered, you need to delete the original ephone (e.g. no ephone 7) and then recreate it with the new mac-address and type but with the same information as before, most importantly the same username and same primary line button

Thanks,

Skyler

This solution works perfectly. Thanks.

-Brian

www.jaydien.com