Cisco Support Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Using IP communicator as a second phone license required?

If a user has an IP phone (ie: SPA508) as their primary device and also have a need for a softphone to work remotely. Will the softphone consume another license on the UC500?

If a user normally works in the office and occasionally works from home using IP Communicator and a VPN client on a laptop does this phone need to be configured as a teleworker?



Community Member

Using IP communicator as a second phone license required?

Hi Dave,

First Question...: Yes it will require another license, just be mindful that with any base unit there is always an extra couple of licenses that come with the system, then there is also the option of not using the licenses reserved for the FXS ports when you put them in user mode... Since it requires an ephone configuration it will require a license.

Second Question...: No it does not so long as the VPN has been setup correctly I.E all Subnets (VLAN's) are in the routing table of the VPN client, you only then need to program in the TFTP server settings into the CIPC and it will find the UC and connect to it.

Hope this answers your questions



Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
CreatePlease to create content