i have a small problem with a SPA508G on a UC520. It keeps picking up DHCP from the Windows server on the network, and connecting to the Data Vlan.
The SPA525Gs on the network do not have this problem.
How can I persude this one to connect to the right Vlan?
Are the phones plugged into the same switch? What model switch are they plugged into? You might be able to go to the phone and manually set the admin vlan to 100.
All phones are plugged straight into the UC520.
Funny thing is that if I turn off DHCP on the server and restart the phone it will get an IP from the UC520.
How do I change it on the phone? I can get to a web interface on its IP address, but nothing seems to be editable.
I don't have the web interface in front of me. If on the network configuration page it allows you to set the admin vlan, then yes. If not, then no.
Slightly strange thing is that the web interface has really big an obvious Submit Changes buttons, but you can't seem to actuall change anything.
Which makes me think that there is something slightly wrong, or an Admin url I should be using.
I have the EXACT same issue, with spa 504gs, i have been messing with these phones ALL day until i stumbled on this post. This is a crazy bug and needs major fixing. I have a TAC Case open on this and am going to update them on it ASAP. The TAC guy had download the new 7.3.7 firmware and I updated one phone with it and the issue persists. I am going to let the TAC guy know about this post. I have almost 20 phones i need to get up and this makes that rather unpleasant.
I have submitted a bug in our tracking system for this.
It might take sometime for this fix to actually occur. I would recommend that you try manually setting the admin vlan on the phone to see if that fixes it for you.