Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan & phone IP issues

Currently, my data network is all static IP's 10.0.0.x.  I connected the uc320, and aside from the other issue I posted here (great response by the way), all went relatively well, the phones all work, I can get into the web gui for the uc320, etc.  I can see in the web-interface that the uc320 is using vlan 100 for the phones and is utilizing dhcp to push out the ips-- 10.1.1.x.

My problem:  I am unable to reach the web-interface of any of the phones.  I have tried w/ the pc at the 10.0.0.x ip, and have manually changed it to an unused IP in the 10.1.1.x range, even plugging the network cabling directly into the uc320 and allowing dhcp (I couldn't get an IP this way at all).  I am unable to ping or access the UI of any of the phones regardless of which IP I am using; but the uc320 sees them and the phones are working properly.

How can I access the UI on the phones?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

One can not simply change their PC IP address to a static IP on the 10.1.1.x network.  That IP address space only lives on the Voice VLAN (100 tagged).  The PC must also be on the voice VLAN for that test to work (not encouraged).  There is a network problem somewhere, because you should be able to ping the phones from your PC on the data VLAN (1 untagged).  And you should be able to see the phone webpages in a read-only mode.

Chris

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

nalbert
Level 4
Level 4

Lance,

Couple of things before we start troubleshooting

- Yes, you should be able to reach the phones, ping them and get into their webpage

- And no, even if you are able to get to the webpage you will NOT be able to modify anything. The phones are completely controlled by the UC320. The UC320 locks down the config on them. If you change anything on the phone it will get over-written and changes are not supported.

Having said that. You are most likely dealing with a VLAN issue / network issue:

- UC320 has a DHCP server built into it by default. The IP subnet is 192.168.10.XXX.

- If you are using any other networks you need something to route them. What are the other devices in the network. How are they connected? What is the topology?

Before we go much further,I recommend that you read this

Application Note - Deploying in an existing Small Business Network

here

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/smb/tools_and_resources/unified_communications_300.html

This is a smart design that would help you deploy this.

Navin Albert

Both of those links give me a forbidden error when trying to access them.

Hi Lance,

The links Navin provided require Partner level access.

Can you provide some more information on the topology and configuration?

• Are you using a DHCP address for your PC or static IP?
  • Are you connecting the PC via WiFi or Ethernet?
  • Which network topology did you select in the UC320W Configuration Utility?
  • Is your PC and phone(s) directly connected to the UC320W or do you have a switch?  If a switch which make/model?  Is the firmware in the switch the latest available?

Thanks,

Chris

To answer your questions:

Our entire data network is static IP.

Existing network

10.0.0.1-10.0.0.255

SBS2003 Domain (server 2003 secondary DC) both fully patched.

MonoWall firewall

(2) 3com baseline switch 2024

(2) Proxim AP600 AP's w/ WEP

(24) xp clients in network (14) of these are on domain.

(1) win 7 pro on domain

UC320:  10.0.0.150 (latest firmware) (I had selected voice & data with external dhcp server in the first step of the wizard)

ESW 520 24 Port POE switch:  10.0.0.151 (latest firmware)

14 phones--SPA504G (uc320 updated firmware on all of these at first connection).

UC320 is connected to the LAN.  WAN port is set in a DMZ from the monowall firewall w/ rules to prevent access to internal LAN.

I have connected to the uc320 via both, but am now hard-wired in the network closet, no switches in-between.

I have the wireless for the UC320 enabled, but there are no connections to it.

The Network Topology has been set to blended mode.

4 existing phone lines connected to UC320 (spa8800 which is on backorder will connect an additional two lines)

UC320 auto-configured a voice vlan 100 and is acting as a dhcp server for the voice vlan w/ an address range of 10.1.1.100-10.1.1.240  (Again, I did not enter any of this information regarding the vlans or dhcp)

I can connect to existing network plugged into the uc320, the esw500, or when plugged into the data ports on the phone.

Lance,

Thanks for the info.  I'll ask some more questions to verify a few more things:

1. UC320W WAN IP is on a different subnet from the UC320W data VLAN IP?
  2. UC320W LAN side subnet mask has been set to 255.255.255.0 (this is also true for the PC static IP config)?
  3. I'm assuming the ESW500 switch is connected LAN side of the UC320W
  4. Have you verified that the phones are actually getting a 10.1.1.x address (Push setup on phone -> Network -> Current IP)?
  5. What web browser are you using?
  6. Can you ping the 10.1.1.1 IP of the UC320W?
  7. Were any VLAN settings modified in the ESW switch?

Thanks,

Chris

@Chris:

please don't spend a whole lot of thought on this, I spoke to Cisco this morning and as someone else stated, any/all modifications to the phones must be done at the uc320, any customizations done to the phone would be immedately over-writen.  So, basically my reason for accessing the phones via IP don't exist anymore, however, I am curios as to why I can't reach the phones.  Having said that to answer your questions:

ucw wan staticaly set in the dmz of the firewall to 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0

All subnets for all interfaces are 255.255.255.0

the esw500 is connected to to lan port 2 of the uc320  lan port 1 is connected to one of the 3com baseline switches

going through the phone menus, they are all from 10.1.1.100 to 113, 255.255.255.0, gateway 10.1.1.1

I am unable to ping with response anything that has a 10.1.1.x IP, even if i statically set my ethernet connection to a 10.1.1.x address.

The switch has no custom configuration at all.

I assume you have a route on your PC to point the 10.1.1.0/24 subnet to the UC320,

I see that all the time on the UC500 where the LAN users cannot get to the phones as the default gateway is not the UC500....

Just a thought.

Hi,

One can not simply change their PC IP address to a static IP on the 10.1.1.x network.  That IP address space only lives on the Voice VLAN (100 tagged).  The PC must also be on the voice VLAN for that test to work (not encouraged).  There is a network problem somewhere, because you should be able to ping the phones from your PC on the data VLAN (1 untagged).  And you should be able to see the phone webpages in a read-only mode.

Chris

omair.sheikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I have been going through your posts and they have been very helpful.

I am struggling to setup a network for UC320W with SPA504G phones and SG200-50P switch.

I chose the 1st topology i.e UC320 will act as data and voice DHCP server.

When I plugged the phones in they tool a lot of time to get the IP address and got the Data VLAN IP address 192.168.1.x

I was not able to ping the phone at all and because of that couldn't access the GUI of phones.

UC320 was not detecting the phones and I had to manually add them. But it showed offline.

I will be giving it another try today so thought if I could get some advice from the experts.

I am planning to configure a trunk on one of the SG200 switch port and configure Data and Voice VLANs. Then plug the UC320 in trunk port and phones on other ports. I think the phones should get the correct IP address of Voice VLAN and I should be able to ping them.

Do you guys have any advice for me? Do I need to do anything else to get the phones working.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Omair Sheikh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: