cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail to E-mail Question

mikhailtangier
Level 1
Level 1

I have the voicemail to e-mail setup using my private gmail account. I checked with Google and my settings appear to be correct, but in my tests never arrive in my emailbox. I turned on the syslog, but frankly I didn't find it very helpful. My big question is do I have to have the WAN port on the UC320 in order for it to send e-mail?

Have attached the syslog

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Michael,

The default gateway for traffic originating on the UC320W, which voicemail to e-mail traffic is, is routed out the WAN interface.  If the WAN interface is not connected, the service won't work.  From your logs it looks like the WAN is not connected:

Jan  1 18:27:44 UC320W daemon.info sendmail: sendgetmail_main get WAN ip [0.0.0.0] as EHLO identify

Jan  1 18:27:44 UC320W daemon.info sendmail: smtp_checkp check EHLO [0.0.0.0] with code -1

Jan  1 18:27:48 UC320W user.debug voice: DLG Terminated 523ae0

Suggest connecting the UC320W WAN port to the internet router DMZ port or create a separate VLAN for the WAN port to connect.

Hope this helps.

Chris

View solution in original post

Hi Michael,

There is a known defect in using Gmail's port 465 for SSL: CSCts44375.

The good news is you can use Gmail's port 587 for TLS and that will work fine.  Simply change the port from 465 to 587.

Cheers,

Chris

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hi Michael,

The default gateway for traffic originating on the UC320W, which voicemail to e-mail traffic is, is routed out the WAN interface.  If the WAN interface is not connected, the service won't work.  From your logs it looks like the WAN is not connected:

Jan  1 18:27:44 UC320W daemon.info sendmail: sendgetmail_main get WAN ip [0.0.0.0] as EHLO identify

Jan  1 18:27:44 UC320W daemon.info sendmail: smtp_checkp check EHLO [0.0.0.0] with code -1

Jan  1 18:27:48 UC320W user.debug voice: DLG Terminated 523ae0

Suggest connecting the UC320W WAN port to the internet router DMZ port or create a separate VLAN for the WAN port to connect.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks. I thought that might be the issue.

Is this (email traffice being routed only through the WAN interface) still true with the latest firmware (2.3.2)?  This causes us headaches with our current ISP. (we get double NAT issues).

sossie
Level 1
Level 1

My  2cents worth for the UC320 wishlist... it would be nice if the UC320 had its own basic smtp server capable of email delivery (it wouldn't be complex).

We have quite a few small businesses with UC320's who also use Microsoft hosted Exchange, so they don't have a smtp server they can use to forward voicemail messages.

The problem with the UC320 acting as an SMTP server is that it doesn't have a great deal of storage available for email messages.  In the case where the customer is too small to have an email server of there own, they will typically have email provided by the ISP, or use a hosted service such as Gmail.  The UC320 can work in happily with both these models, so there really isn't that much of a driver to add SMTP server support to the box itself.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

the uc320 doesn't need to be an email server that stores email, just capable of having the option of being a smtp relay to deliver email itself.

ie you configure a smtp host name for it, DNS servers and it can deliver voice mail email messages directly to whatever mail server system the client uses.

The UC320 is most of the way to being capable of doing this, all it needs to make it work is to put an option next to the "smtp server address used for delivery" that says "deliver voice mail messages via dns (mx) resolution.

Simon

Gotcha.  It's not a request I've had come up before myself, and I'd be concerned about the voicemails getting caught up in Spam filters unless you set up MX records and the like, but it would certainly be doable.  I'll make sure the product team see the request and start tracking it if they aren't already.  Not sure when it would be likely to implemented though.  It seems a little like a corner case.  If anyone else has the same requirement, please jump on the thread and add your support.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Simon,

I am not understanding something....  Why wouldn't you use one of the many available SMTP servers that are available on the public internet today?  Some are even free like Google's gmail.  What is the advantange that having a built in SMTP server gives you? 

Chris

mikhailtangier
Level 1
Level 1

Alright the WAN is up. I ran a Packet trace through the ASA5510 to see if the uc320 should hit gmail's smtp server on port 465 for SSL. It does passed with flying colors. Yet I'm still not recieving e-mail.

Any help would be appreciated. attached a new syslog.

Hi Michael,

There is a known defect in using Gmail's port 465 for SSL: CSCts44375.

The good news is you can use Gmail's port 587 for TLS and that will work fine.  Simply change the port from 465 to 587.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks, Chris. All sorted now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: