cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail to Email Notification

Adam44992
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UC540, having the most terrible time getting voicemail to email to work. I have a server onsite, running Free SMTP Server. I can send a email from outlook express using this, so I know its setup right, using port 25 and the firewall is working. But from UC540, it won't send at all. The server has a route back to voicemail subnet...so its not a routing issue.

The user is setup correctly, becuase at one point it was working just fine..it just stopped a few months ago.

Any suggestions?                  

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try updating CUE software to latest SWP.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

You shoulder be made aware that SMTP is just unreliable with a UC-500, it has no way to error check or resend if it fails.

I would highly encourage you to consider using IMAP it works significantly better than SMTP, and much cleaner in its operations.

Cheers,

David Trad.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I opened a TAC case up regards to the first suggestion. I am upgrading CUE from 8.2 to 8.6 (CUE only). I will post the updated results once the upgrade is completed. Strange thing, it was working for the longest time and all of a sudden, it stopped.

thx

Adam

Hi, i am suffereing the same problems!!! been with TAC case for over a month now and still no solution!!!

i'll keep an eye on these pages and will update you if i get an answer .

i have rebuilt my UC box from scratch and no luck. running the latest verions of EVERYTHING!

UC540 system with 8.6.1 Software Pack

UC540 system with 8.6.2 Software Pack

Adam44992
Level 1
Level 1

Fixed, spent a few hours with TAC today on this issue. First thing I did was upgrade to 8.6.3. In the Web Interface for unity, there is a test smtp setting now so you can make sure smtp is working without the need to leave voicemail from a user. Here is what I did to fix the issue. I resolved the problem, but we don't know the culprit exactly.

I used sendgrid.com (free) for a smtp relay. The configuration is easy, and it works well with Unity CUE.  I added the voicemail subnet, 10.1.10.x to the NAT of the firewall. So from the CUE CLI, you should be able to ping 4.2.2.2 and your smtp relay server as well. This will make sure you able to get out to the Internet from the CUE subnet. Also, when adding the configuration to CUE, use CCA ONLY. We had multiple iterations where when adding this to the web console for CUE, it didn't update it correctly. Another thing, is when you add the new smtp information onto CUE, I reloaded CUE then tested to make sure.

Anyway, hope this helps.

ok, cool.

where did you get 8.6.3 from?

i have the subnet in my netgear firewall/router already. i can ping everything from everything!

i have reloaded cue and still no good

oh wait i have version 8.6.5. you are talking about CUE, not the software pack for the UC box.

Do you have exchange in the same network? or are you seding outside for the email relay?

Adam44992
Level 1
Level 1

Correct, when I did the upgrade...I only upgraded CUE, not the whole software pack. I don't have exchange locally, thats why I used the sendgrid.com...works rather well and plus its free.

ok cool. what are the exact routes you setup in your firewall/router?

what port if your firewall/router plugged into on the UC box?

Make sure you have a DNS in your CUE via the web interface.

Also if the UC is not the firewall, on your firewall add the following routes:

10.1.10.0/30 gateway = IP of UC (default 192.168.10.1)

101.1.0/24 gateway = IP of UC (default 192.168.10.1)

What are you using for your from address?  If you are using a from address that is the same as the emailed to domain, then some hosting companies only allow relayed email to come from their own relay servers.  For example if you are using Google apps, you must use their smtp relay.

Let me know who the hosting company is an I might be able to tell you their relay.

DNS i have in CUE web interface. both interna DNS and externa DNS.

i have the two static routes in my router:

10.1.10.0 > 255.255.255.252 to 192.168.1.10 Metric 2

10.1.1.0 > 255.255.255.0 to 192.168.1.10 Metric 2

my Exchange/Domian server address is 192.168.1.2

My router is 192.168.1.1