cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the proper way to configure the UC500 series for graceful UPS shutdown?

jwaskewics
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I found this below here: http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/TDOY-5UQVE5_R8_EN.pdf

You need APC part # AP9840

Connect this cable to the APC UPS and the console port on the UC500's.

Add CLI code to supoprt graceful shutdown

line aux 0

privelege level 15

modem Dialin

autocommand service-module service-engine slot/0 shutdown no-confirm

where "slot" is the Cisco UE module's slot number.

How do we do this for the UC?

-----

Can we configure UC500 to shutdown CUE and then the UC over the network, using the APC network management card?  We use this method to shutdown MS servers.

Thanks,

Johnhttp://att.blackberry.com/

7 Replies 7

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

CUE is really the issue in this situation due to the fact that it could be writing to the database at the time of shutdown leaving you with corrupt data. If CUE is shutdown, there will be no problem if the UC500 shuts down. The cable and commands mentioned are the way to do this for the UC500.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Brandon,

Thanks for the quick response.

Just to confirm, is the CLI (what I typed in) the actual code we would use on the UC 520, 540, and 560, respectively?

Cisco rep (loaded) question:  Since we are being pushed to configure UC with CCA only and Cisco highly recommends shutting down CUE first to prevent data corruption prior to shutting down the hardware or in the case of power failure, when will Cisco be adding UPS support in CCA?

I said it was a loaded Q.

Thanks,

John

John,

Yes, these are the correct CLI commands. Very good question regarding configuring this via CCA.

Brandon

Brandon,

Do you know if AFTER configuring the console port for UPS shutdown, can we still use the console port for "normal" UC configuration functions?

Do you know if the new APCs SmartUPS SMT line are suported on UC500, and if so, what is the new cable?  It would need to be RJ45 to RJ45.

Thanks.

Yes, if you configure the shutdown commands and connect the UPS to the AUX port, you can still use the console port for configuration. Sorry, not sure about the SMT models, but I would assume they will work.

Brandon

Brandon,

Thank you.

Just to confirm, we only have the CONSOLE port on the UC's not AUX+console.  Is that what you meant?  So, if we config the Console port for UPS shutdown we can still use that same console port for "normal" console functions.

Please advise.

Thank you,

John

John,

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the lack of a separate AUX port. You could still use the console port with this config, but it is going to shutdown the CUE module. My understanding is that the only time the AUX functionality is triggered is when modem tones are detected, so the configuration mentioned earlier will need to be under "line con 0". Not a great solution, but probably not the end of the world either as most of the time you can access the router via telnet/SSH.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: