cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the "default voice vlan" in UC560?

telecastle
Level 1
Level 1

I come from the enterprise R&S and Voice side, so I am used to doing everything from CLI. Cisco Small Business Pro support requires configuring UC560 with the CCA for it to qualify for future support. So, while configuring the voice VLAN, I saw a check mark for the voice VLAN to be the "default voice VLAN"? I left the voice VLAN intact - VLAN 100 and kept the default IP range. The current client has no IP voice in the office yet, so it did not matter which IP range to use for the IP phones. However, I really wanted to change the VLAN ID but decided that doing so with the CCA may cause some serious voice issues because of how limited and restrictive CCA is. So, what is the "default voice VLAN"?

There will be no IP phones connected directly to UC560, but I have created a trunk on interface Gi0/1/0, which is currently connected to Cisco SG300-28p. SG300-28p has the "voice vlan id 100" currently configured and VLAN 100 (along with VLAN 101 - the modified data VLAN) are currently trunked between the UC560 and SG300-28p. I have not yet connected the phones to SG300-28p. I am still trying to uderstand how voice VLAN works on SG300. It's quite different from the way that Cisco enterprise switches handle voice VLANs. But that is another issue altogether.

Before I start tinkering with the voice VLAN on SG300-28p, I need to understand what that check box currently enabled in CCA on VLAN 100 does. I do see that the trunk port on UC560 has the "switchport voice vlan 100" configured. I guess if I were to plug a Cisco phone that uses CDP, it would get on VLAN 100 even though the port is a trunk port. So, is this what "default voice vlan" means?

5 Replies 5

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi telecastle,

You are correct in that if you want to get continued support on all the SMB pro series equipment (Switches and Voice System) you will need to configure and manage them via CCA or where applicable via the inbuilt Web GUI, making any forms of CLI changes to either systems without the required (Person & Company) certifications will cause issues with the support contract.

The tick next to the voice VLAN-100 in CCA is denoting that this is the default Voice VLAN, where as VLAN-1 (Default VLAN) is the Data VLAN... Whilst youc an change this in CCA easily enough, I would ask why? Unless there is an absolute reason to modify the VLAN structure you should as standard practice keep it default unless you are entering a Greyfield site that dictates you cannot do this.

The other thing to remember is that not only do you have CDP on all the Cisco equipment which will propagate the correct settings and information to the other devices (Auto Configuration) you have CCA which will ensure that the correct settings are applied on the configuration file in their appropriate places... Where possible stick to using CCA for the Switch configuration unless you need to use the Web GUI (And you will need to on initial configuration of it I.E Static IP assignment).

In CCA you can right click on the device I.E Switch or UC-560 and then when the dialogue box appears, click on SMARTPORTS and then correctly assign each port, this is normally done but on the SF/SG-300 series switches this does not happen in quite a few cases so you have to do it manually, basically you set everything up as DESKTOP+IPPHONE and make VLAN-1 as default, and then set your trunk ports up as Switch/Router/Server etc...etc.. so the correct settings and VLAN membership is applied.

Do your best to keep it simple, and no matter how much of the temptation is to go back to CLI as 90% of what you want to do can be done via CCA and done well... Also do not agonize on a problem, if an issue keeps hindering you just call support up and ask for configuration assistance, that is what they are there for an what they are good at

(PS) VLAN's-1 & 100 are native to the system, changing them wont hurt it but you should keep them default unless you are not able to do it.

Hope this info helps you out..

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

So, what is a "defalult voice vlan"? There's still no answer to my question.

In Cisco enterprise R&S, there's a "native VLAN", which is the VLAN untagged on a trunk port. There's also an "access VLAN", which is a VLAN to which traffic arriving untagged in access ports belongs. Finally, there's a "voice VLAN", which is configured on an access port and turns a regular access port into a "special-case" two-VLAN trunk port. When the "switchport voice vlan x" command is applied to an access port, the port turns into a two-VLAN-only port, where the tagged traffic arriving from the IP phone is placed into the "voice VLAN" and the untagged traffic arriving from the device plugged behind a Cisco phone is placed into the "access VLAN".

I do not want to keep data on VLAN1. This is against all Cisco's best practices. I do not understand why Cisco's Small Business division ignores Cisco best practices and places data traffic in VLAN1, which should only be used for administrative traffic.

Hello,

By default, there are 3 VLAN's used in the default config of a UC560:

VLAN 1     -  Data (192.168.10.0/24)

VLAN 90   -  CUE (10.1.10.0/30)

VLAN 100 -  Voice (10.1.1.0/24)

The Data and Voice VLAN's can be changed with CCA.

Thank you,

Darren

telecastle wrote:

I do not want to keep data on VLAN1. This is against all Cisco's best practices. I do not understand why Cisco's Small Business division ignores Cisco best practices and places data traffic in VLAN1, which should only be used for administrative traffic.

I'm pretty sure Darren answered your VLAN question.  As you know on a switch you can apply Portfast, Port Security, QoS markings, QoS queues, different native VLANs, Spanning tree priority, VTP/DTP etc etc and the list goes on.  All these things are best practices but they complicate the install for a select partner who is not CCNA certified.  The UC500 is sold by select partners and is ment to be easier to install than CME on an ISR. 

That doesn't seem to be the case. When I change the voice and data VLAN to different subnet through CCA, at the time of apply, I get Java error.

I have same goal as telecastle.

1. Change data vlan to 10. Different data subnet IP too.

2. Change voice vlan to 32. Different IP too.

I copied the factory default config from the flash and rebooted the unti but that didn't go back to factory default for the switching-> vlan section. I eve deleted vlan.dat file as per recommendations from cisco small business support engineer and that didn't help either. Stumped now.