cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What should I do in the event of a failed UC500 upgrade?

changjoe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm about to do my first UC520 upgrade with CCA 2.2(5) and SP 8.0.4 . I'm really looking forward to it and I expect it to be a smooth upgrade. However, I have to plan for contingencies in the event of a failed upgrade. For example, I'm going to hook up my laptop (with CCA installed and SP loaded) directly to a port on the UC520. What would happen if my connection somehow failed mid-way through the install. Would that leave the UC in an unusable state? Would I have to xmodem a new IOS image onto the device?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

speakeasy51
Level 1
Level 1

Have a Cisco console rollover cable ready. If upgrade failed the UC would most likely be in 'rommon'mode, so be familiar with commands available in rommon mode in order to do rommon tftp.

Lastly a PC running MS Windows which can work with flash card and a flash card adaptor. This would allow you to copy software image from PC to flash card if everything fails.

View solution in original post

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

That's one approach, but i didn't have  a flash reader/writer, so i had to restore via the following procedure.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9766

My Communications Manager Express (CME) configuration was still in non-volitile storage on my UC500.

Cisco Unity express configuration was still stored in the integrated services engine inside my UC520. 

But my CME flash card was wiped.  But that's not really a big deal to recover from. 

All I did was restore a copy of IOS back to my UC520 and perform the CCA upgrade again.

But to play it completely safe, what about initially using CCA 2.2.5 to backup the Uc500 configurations. See my  screen shot below.

If you run into trouble and need a little help and you always  have an option to  request some help from the wonderful folks at our Small Business support center. (assuming you have a maintenance agreement or under warranty)

regards Dave

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

speakeasy51
Level 1
Level 1

Have a Cisco console rollover cable ready. If upgrade failed the UC would most likely be in 'rommon'mode, so be familiar with commands available in rommon mode in order to do rommon tftp.

Lastly a PC running MS Windows which can work with flash card and a flash card adaptor. This would allow you to copy software image from PC to flash card if everything fails.

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

That's one approach, but i didn't have  a flash reader/writer, so i had to restore via the following procedure.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9766

My Communications Manager Express (CME) configuration was still in non-volitile storage on my UC500.

Cisco Unity express configuration was still stored in the integrated services engine inside my UC520. 

But my CME flash card was wiped.  But that's not really a big deal to recover from. 

All I did was restore a copy of IOS back to my UC520 and perform the CCA upgrade again.

But to play it completely safe, what about initially using CCA 2.2.5 to backup the Uc500 configurations. See my  screen shot below.

If you run into trouble and need a little help and you always  have an option to  request some help from the wonderful folks at our Small Business support center. (assuming you have a maintenance agreement or under warranty)

regards Dave

changjoe
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you speakeasy and David. You guys are potential lifesavers. I believe my client has a premium SmartNet contract on the UC520. Does Cisco TAC support the UC500's ?

I forget to mention in my previous post that you'll need a cross-over cable for your PC nic and the Fa0/0 of UC500 in case you need to connect your PC directly to the UC520 in a hurry. TAC supports UC520.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: