cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIP310 Fails To Re-Register.

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Customer has several WIP310 connected wirelessly to an accesspoint and then to a internal PBX Tribox V2.6.22. Using Teliax ITSP.

The phones work great for a while but randomly fail to re-register. The only way for it to work again is to power cycle the device.   Customer has tried three diferent access point in order to elimate the possibility of bad wireless connectivity. Has latest firmware 5.0.11

Please advice in any way possible thanks in advance.
233 Replies 233

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Juan,

I assume that by "power cycle the device" you mean that the customer power cycles the WIP310 and not power cycle the WAP.

There's no need to power cycle the WIP310 in the event that registration is lost. They can use the phone's menu to reassociate with the AP which will cause the phone to re-register.

The only experiences I've had with lost registration with the WIP310 is related to bad WiFi signal strength from the WAP. The WAP4400N and WRVS200 devices work very well with the WIP310.

In order to further troubleshoot this, request a trace from between the WAP and the Trixbox captured over a period when a WIP310 lost registration.... perhaps that will offer a clue as to the problem.

Confirm if the WIP310 is still available on the network with ping and viewing its web-ui when the device is unregistered.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Im actually experiencing the same problems..Wifi connection doesnt get lost, but the registration to the PBX does. No NAT/router between them (that would be breaking the connection). Trixbox 2.6 (running Asterisk 2.4.12 under it). I have other several SIP devices on my network without probs (SPA842 phones, Linksys ATAs, Poly phones etc that run without a prob)

Ive atteched a copy of the syslog of what my WIP310 sends when it losses the registration...

Asterisk output of sip show peers when it loses registration:

trixbox1*CLI> sip show peers
Name/username              Host            Dyn Nat ACL Port     Status
15/15                      (Unspecified)    D   N   A  0        UNKNOWN
14/14                      192.168.5.109    D   N   A  5061     OK (19 ms)
13/13                      192.168.5.109    D   N   A  5060     OK (18 ms)

(The extension 15 is the WIP310)

Hope Cisco can manage to fix this since this is a major drawback for the product (at least for the home/small bussiness user which uses Asterisk products)

Relevant Information:

Product Name:     WIP310
Software Version:     5.0.11(10301355)
Hardware Version:     R03

Asterisk 1.4.22-3 RPM by vc-rpms@voipconsulting.nl, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.

paborn wrote:

Hi Juan,

I assume that by "power cycle the device" you mean that the customer power cycles the WIP310 and not power cycle the WAP.

There's no need to power cycle the WIP310 in the event that registration is lost. They can use the phone's menu to reassociate with the AP which will cause the phone to re-register.

The only experiences I've had with lost registration with the WIP310 is related to bad WiFi signal strength from the WAP. The WAP4400N and WRVS200 devices work very well with the WIP310.

In order to further troubleshoot this, request a trace from between the WAP and the Trixbox captured over a period when a WIP310 lost registration.... perhaps that will offer a clue as to the problem.

Confirm if the WIP310 is still available on the network with ping and viewing its web-ui when the device is unregistered.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi aguzman82,

Looking at the syslog you provided, I see multiple REGISTER attempts followed by 401 Unauthorized. For example:

REGISTER attempt at line 294 at 13:49:45

401 Unauthorized at line 304

AUTH FAILED at line 307

Could it be that your SIP proxy is unhappy with the WIP310 for some reason?

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

paborn wrote:

Hi aguzman82,

Looking at the syslog you provided, I see multiple REGISTER attempts followed by 401 Unauthorized. For example:

REGISTER attempt at line 294 at 13:49:45

401 Unauthorized at line 304

AUTH FAILED at line 307

Could it be that your SIP proxy is unhappy with the WIP310 for some reason?

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

As stated before, my other SIP devices are working ok with this SIP proxy (asterisk), even other Linksys branded (SPA 921/Linksys ATA). I came up with a forum post at the trixbox site (which is the one im using) with several other ppl experencing the same issue.. URL hxxp://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/trixbox-endpoints/ciscolinksys-wip310-wifi-sip-phone

Any other information that could help trace the problem ?

The trixbox is not accepting the registration from the WIP310.

It receives the registration request from the WIP310 and replies with 401 unauthorized.

Thanks for the URL. It's interesting that the users report the issue surfacing when the phone is not on its stand and the battery going down one bar...

I don't follow why the trixbox will not authorize the WIP310.

Is your WIP310 in or out of the cradle when you experience this?

Consider capturing a trace with Wireshark between your wireless access point and the trixbox as follows:

1. When you do what you do to make the trixbox accept the REGISTER request from the WIP310

2. After a period when the trixbox refuses the WIP310's REGISTER request

We can then compare the two traces in order to determine if the WIP310 is sending something different to the trixbox.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

paborn wrote:

The trixbox is not accepting the registration from the WIP310.

It receives the registration request from the WIP310 and replies with 401 unauthorized.

Thanks for the URL. It's interesting that the users report the issue surfacing when the phone is not on its stand and the battery going down one bar...

I don't follow why the trixbox will not authorize the WIP310.

Is your WIP310 in or out of the cradle when you experience this?

Consider capturing a trace with Wireshark between your wireless access point and the trixbox as follows:

1. When you do what you do to make the trixbox accept the REGISTER request from the WIP310

2. After a period when the trixbox refuses the WIP310's REGISTER request

We can then compare the two traces in order to determine if the WIP310 is sending something different to the trixbox.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

When this happens it doesnt matter if its on the craddle or outside. Batter levels are 60% and I have the AP on the room (so i could discard low signal problems)

Another thing I note when this happens, is that the WIP310 WebUI shows as status FAILED until the sip reregister timeout comes it (default 3600), it then reauthentificates ok with trixbox, until like 3 minutes when it loses the registration again, and the phone wont be able to accept or do calls.

As for the caputre, I will try to do the capture later on today, and Ill post it so you can take a look at it...

Thanks for your help Patrick...

Great, it looks like you have covered WiFi related issues.

Thanks for taking the time to capture the traces.

Please also capture syslog logs while tracing.

In addition, please supply the phone's config [ https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9933 ] and a description of what tests you performed etc. It makes it much faster on my side if I have a good idea of what transpired instead of just getting a bunch of logs and traces...  :-)

Regards,

Patrick

----------

paborn wrote:

Great, it looks like you have covered WiFi related issues.

Thanks for taking the time to capture the traces.

Please also capture syslog logs while tracing.

In addition, please supply the phone's config [ https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2982 ] and a description of what tests you performed etc. It makes it much faster on my side if I have a good idea of what transpired instead of just getting a bunch of logs and traces...  :-)

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Ok... on the zip I uploaded I included there are several files:

Cisco WIP310 Configuration.htm  - The saved config from the WIP310 Phone

putty.log - output with sip debug which will output all the sip messages sent/received from the phone to my trixbox

WIP310.pcap -  Capture with the communication between the WIP310 and my trixbox

192.168.5.101 - IP of WIP310

192.168.5.100 - IP of my desktop (some requests appear via http)

192.168.5.99 - Trixbox IP

For the testing I just left the phone idling.. after ~50 minutes it lost the registration...

From the WIP310 web interface I saw

(When it was OK)

Ext 1 Status
Registration State:    Registered    Last Registration At:    7/1/2009 15:48:44
Next Registration In:    3322 s    Message Waiting:    No
Mapped SIP Port:          

(After registration was lost)

Ext 1 Status
Registration State:    Failed    Last Registration At:    7/1/2009 15:48:44
Next Registration In:    788 s    Message Waiting:    No
Mapped SIP Port:

The interesting part comes at packet # 5231 of the pcap capture... as for the syslog I didnt attached it since you can see the syslog events inside the pcap capture

Let me know if any more information is needed for the debugging..

Thanks for the files. Please capture the WIP310's configuration again, but this time log in as the Admin user. :-)

The config file you sent is for the User login which does not display sufficient info for analysis.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

paborn wrote:

Thanks for the files. Please capture the WIP310's configuration again, but this time log in as the Admin user. :-)

The config file you sent is for the User login which does not display sufficient info for analysis.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Uppss hehe my bad.. here it is

Hi,

Can you capture a successful registration message for me to compare with the error ones?

Also, as a work around, can you shorten the registration timeout on WIP310 to something like less than 5 minutes and see whether it improves?

Thanks,

Julian

JulianZhong wrote:

Hi,

Can you capture a successful registration message for me to compare with the error ones?

Also, as a work around, can you shorten the registration timeout on WIP310 to something like less than 5 minutes and see whether it improves?

Thanks,

Julian

I did this capture when the phone was with the error, then accessed to /admin/reboot, and it re-registered again (thats the only way I found for it to reregister correctly), so you can actually check the "good" registrarion message it sends....  I stopped the capture after that.. (and 200 seconds later I lost the registration again on the phone)

Thanks for looking into the issue too Julian

Regards,

Alex

Thank you Alex, let me take a close look.

Julian

Alex,

From the capture, I see the handset starts to send register from second 164, but when the pbx sends a challenge to the handset, it didn't reply.

Funnily, at second 166, it sends another register, and this time it did reply to the challenge.

I feel so curious why the handset behave like this, can you explain more what did you do during that time?

And I have been testing with our sip server and a belkin AP, it runs smoothly for 3 days already.

Thanks,

Julian