Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3005 Concentrator Configuration/User Management

I am trying to configure a 3005 Concentrator for Kerberos or NT authentication for remote clients to access the network from home or on the road.

I would like to use the existing windows client if possible.

I have tried to configure per Cisco recommendations but do not understand a few things:

1. I can go to "Condifuration\System \Servers\Authentication" and test authentication successfully.

When I try to connect, the client makes a connection but the concentrator log shows nothing more than the connection and disconnect with no reason given.

The client end just shows trying to authenticate.

According to Cisco, I also need to configure "User Management\Groups" but when I configure that, I do not understand where the group name and password comes in to play. Why do I need that?

The concentrator log looks like the group I created is trying to authenticate to Active Directory.

Log show this and also show when I try to test the authentication at the group level:

31655 09/09/2006 14:26:13.650 SEV=4 AUTH/9 RPT=43

Authentication failed: Reason = No active server found

handle = 1013, server = (none), user = test

The cisco document on NT authentication also shows the group being created

2 REPLIES

Re: 3005 Concentrator Configuration/User Management

there is no concept of group for PPTP users - the Concentrator has no way of matching a user to a group when they connect. So PPTP users will be in the Base Group and will use authentication servers in the order listed in Configuration | System | Servers | Authentication.

Re: 3005 Concentrator Configuration/User Management

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense.

Is the PPTP connection safe enough used this way?

Are there any guidlines on what to look for if I cannot connect with the Microsoft client?

The client just sites at "authenticating"

I do not see anything in the concentrator log.

Views
Helpful
Replies