cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect 4.5.02036 - Repairing VPN adapter, The VPN client driver encountered an error

Miszon
Level 1
Level 1

After upgrading from 4.4.03034 to 4.5.02036 (Windows 7) AnyConnect is unable to establish a VPN connection with messages:

12:28:11 Ready to connect.
13:04:56 Contacting...
13:05:11 User credentials entered.
13:05:11 Establishing VPN session...
13:05:11 The AnyConnect Downloader is performing update checks...
13:05:11 Checking for profile updates...
13:05:11 Checking for product updates...
13:05:22 Checking for customization updates...
13:05:22 Performing any required updates...
13:05:22 The AnyConnect Downloader updates have been completed.
13:05:22 Establishing VPN session...
13:05:22 Establishing VPN - Initiating connection...
13:05:23 Establishing VPN - Examining system...
13:05:23 Establishing VPN - Activating VPN adapter...
13:06:04 Establishing VPN - Repairing VPN adapter...
13:06:48 Disconnect in progress, please wait...
13:06:48 Connection attempt has failed.

It finally fails with error "The VPN client driver encoutered an error. Prease restart your computer or device, then try again." and/or "AnyConnect was not able to establish a connection to the specified secure gateway. Please try connecting again".

Reinstalling any previous version of AC won't take any effect. I tried to delete any ProgramFiles/Programdata/Appdata folders, nothing works. Once it's broken, it's broken for good. 

We use IOS router headend instead of ASA. 

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check out the link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/vpn/problems-with-cisco-anyconnect-vpn-client-driver-error/td-p/3039010

If that does not work I would also try uninstalling anyconnect uninstalling any antivirus program and then installing once more the anyconnect. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check out the link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/vpn/problems-with-cisco-anyconnect-vpn-client-driver-error/td-p/3039010

If that does not work I would also try uninstalling anyconnect uninstalling any antivirus program and then installing once more the anyconnect. 

Bogdan, 

thank you for helpfull suggestions. After uninstalling AV software (ESET) it started to work! 

Also, in few cases unchecking IPv6 option in VPN interface settings did the job, but after AnyConnect installs/uninstalls and reboots in the meantime...

none of these have worked for me

Here's my solution (after some hours of struggling):

* make sure you can reinstall your network driver in the end, so download your network device driver first

* uninstall cisco anyconnect

* remove driver with pnputil:

open an admin console

pnputil -e > drivers_info.txt

here look for cisco, uninstall everything by issuing

pnputil -d oem<xyz>.inf

* uninstalled the network device, including drivers (in my case intel wifi)

again, remove all driver packages with pnputil for that network driver, e.g.

Published name :            oem3.inf
Driver package provider :   Intel
Class :                     Network adapters
Driver date and version :   04/01/2018 20.50.1.1
Signer name :               Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

(i had about a dozen of these packages, because of the older version, but i removed everything. Before that i always got "windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device code 56" in device manager)

* restarted windows, no network, windows was not even trying

* reinstalled the wifi driver manually

* reinstalled cisco anyconnect without issues

I installed a newer version 4.6 in my case which resolved the problem for me.

I struggled with this issue over one month but it solved after Uninstall "Npcap" under C:\Program Files\Npcap\

raakeshbsht86
Level 1
Level 1

I did the following-

1) Go to properties of CiscoAnyconnect under your Networks.

2) Disable/Unchecked Npcap Packet Driver(NPF) 

3) Try connect now..Worked!! 

you can try Disabling IPv6 also if this doesn't work.

Thanks.

CrazyK
Level 1
Level 1

I am also having this issue with "Repairing VPN Adapter" and then losing connection. 

Using Windows 7 64 Bit OS and used to use the older VPN Client and now gone to the new Cisco Anyconnect Client V4.8.02042.  Every time I try to connect after entering login credentials the connection fails and reports same error in the log.

any different ideas?  Not seeing the Npcap options in the Cisco Network properties and also tried disabling IPv6 with no avail.

Oddly enough this same Version works perfectly fine on my Windows10 machine, but i have another issue on that Windows 10 machine where Excel VB script not working properly where it worked fine for 11 years on my Windows XP and Windows 7 machines. 

Please help! Thank you in advance!!

WrabeCZ1984
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, after uninstalling the Npcap from my Win7 64bit and rebooting, the problem was resolved for me. Hope it helps somebody. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: