Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

AnyConnect Client (3.1.02040) - Windows 8 won't shut down

I've noticed and issue with Windows 8 and AnyConnect Client version 3.1.02040.  I've tried various things to try to resolve this issue but have hit a brick wall.  Whenever, I run AnyConnect on my Windows 8 PC and then shut it down for the day, the PC won't turn off.  I've ensured my AnyConnect client is disconnected and then quit the application and even killed the VPN service.

Has anyone else seen this issue???   Any resolution???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have an early version (still in the 3.1.040xx range), and it fixed it across the board as mentioned previously.  (I haven't tested 4059, however I would imagine that it should!)

72 REPLIES

Don't heard about that yet.

Have you checked limitations for Win8 and Open Caveats?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect31/release/notes/anyconnect31rn.html#wp1099267

Michael Please rate all helpful posts

I have exactly the same problem with anyconnect 3.1.02040 and windows 8.

1st connecion to my VPN is working well. Teh the disconnexion is taking a very long time. Then, any way to use Internet of to start a new connexion (it seems that Anyconnect removed the IP configuration and DNS) and did not update it back after disconnecting: the only solution is to rebbot by switiching off the computer because a normal reboot takes seems to be infinite.

I would also support for any resolution.

I've asked my colleagues, one is using Windows 8 Pro 64bit, AnyConnect 3.0.07059 / ASA 9.0.1 without any problems.

Can you test this constellation?

I am using Windows 8 Pro 64bits. I can downgrade my version of Anyconnect to 3.0.07059 if you tell me where I can download it because mine is automatically installed with this last version from my university server.

I do not know which version of ASA my university is using.

Make sure whoever manages your firewall turns off the automatic client update on connection.   Otherwise, your client will be automatically updated on connecting to the VPN tunnel.

Will AnyConnect 3.0.07059 have any issues running on an ASA5510 that is patched to ASA 9.1.1 and ASDM 7.1.1.52?  That is the patch level of my system.

Difficult to do that.

Our architecture is unque for the whole university with hundreds of users. I am not sure that they would agree to turn off automatic update only for my test.

I will try to ask, however.

Thanks

You might modify your local AnyConnectLocalPolicy.xml (

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client)

Change or insert:

true

(FAQ in german: http://www.lrz.de/fragen/faq/vpn/vpn39/)

regards,

Markus

9.1.1 and 7.1.1.52 runs fine with that version. You can also check for the latest 3.0.0X (must be 8xxx)

I have 3.1.02026 and I have thie same problem where the AnyConnect client wont disconnect.   I also have the problem, where if I start AynConnect and then the WIndows 8 machine goes to sleep it will crash Windows 8  :-(

I also have the same problem.  There is a few things that I have noticed...

1.  If you disable the Network List Service and the Network Location awareness Services and reboot, this problem does not occure.  However, when you disable these services, you are no longer able to manager you network connections.

2.  There are many errors that appear in the cisco anyconnect secure mobility client event log

System
-Provider
[ Name] acvpnagent
-EventID2
[ Qualifiers] 9216
Level2
Task1
Keywords0x80000000000000
-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2013-02-28T20:36:21.000000000Z
EventRecordID942
ChannelCisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
ComputerPC2578.swgao.int
Security
-EventData
Function: CThread::invokeRun File: .\Utility\Thread.cpp Line: 435 Invoked Function: IRunnable::Run Return Code: -32112629 (0xFE16000B) Description: BROWSERPROXY_ERROR_NO_PROXY_FILE

-Provider
[ Name] acvpnagent
-EventID2
[ Qualifiers] 9216
Level2
Task1
Keywords0x80000000000000
-TimeCreated
EventRecordID940
ComputerPC2578.swgao.int
Security
-EventData
Function: CVirtualAdapter::IsVAEnabled File: .\WindowsVirtualAdapter.cpp Line: 2685 Invoked Function: CVirtualAdapter::IsVAEnabled Return Code: -33554423 (0xFE000009) Description: GLOBAL_ERROR_UNEXPECTED Unexpected VA status bits, 25174019

-System
-Provider
[ Name] acvpnagent
-EventID2
[ Qualifiers] 9216
Level3
Task1
Keywords0x80000000000000
-TimeCreated
EventRecordID936
ComputerPC2578.swgao.int
Security
-EventData
Function: CVAMgr::cleanupAddress File: .\VAMgr.cpp Line: 2449 Invoked Function: CNetshDeleteAddress::Run Return Code: -31064051 (0xFE26000D) Description: NETSHCOMMAND_ERROR_PARSE_FAILED

I'm not sure what anyconnect is doing, but it appear when disconnecting something is prevting it from resetting all of the network settings.

You are local administrator and have no antivirus or personal firewall installed?

Yes, I'm a local administrator on my PC.  No personal Firewall installed, but yes I'm running Norton 360.  That is required for my corporate policies to connect with VPN.

If you are asking if we can turn it off, yes, but to what point?  If it is a setting in the virus scan to allow the VPN application to run or execute some command, then we would need assistance from Cisco on that.

Speaking of Cisco, are they aware of this issue????

Someone with this error has to open a case @ TAC.

Can you try to disable Norton and test it again? Perhaps Norton blocks the Agent while reconfiguring the network settings.

I have the same problem. Cisco any news regarding this issue?

I tried by disabling my Norton 360 firewall and virus protection.  No luck, still the same issue.  Won't reboot or shutdown.

I dud find this on the WEB.  Tried it without success.

Fortunately, there is an easy registry edit that has been found to frequently resolve this error:

1.Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen by pressing the Windows key.
2.Type regedit to initiate an application search, then press Enter to launch regedit.
3.Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva
4.Locate the key DisplayName.
5.Right-click this key and select Modify.
6.In the value data field, erase everything and replace it with Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64 ?If you are running a 32-bit system, perform the same steps, but instead replace the entry with Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x86

7.Restart the Cisco AnyConnect client. The issue should now be resolved.

Old Value:  Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Agent

Thanks for the reply cpremo. Tried it just now. Didn't help me either. Cisco any comments on this one?

cpremo,

I just did a fresh install of W8 x64 with nothing else on it. I fully updated it and then installed AnyConnect 3.1.02040. The same behavior appears. It is something wrong with AnyConnect I am sure of it now. I can provide DART logs if someone from Cisco is willing to check it out.

Alex.

Can you reproduce this error also with a virtual Win8? If yes I'll try with a virtual Win8 on Virtualbox and open a case @ TAC.

I am sure that it will work ok on a virtual machine. I am pretty sure that it conflicts with some driver from Microsoft that is specific to my computer otherwise Cisco would fixed it by now. Maybe a chipset incompatibility or something. Anyway it is pretty important to note that with a fresh W8 on this machine it wont work. I cannot open a TAC case because I dont have a contract for this particular ASA.

Some one suggested this in an offline E-Mail:

cpremo try this:

• Right click on My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services> Select the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Agent.

• Right click Properties, then log on and select Allow service to interact with the desktop.

I tried it without any success.  Still won't shut down.  I've even had a couple of DSOD due to this issue.

HI,

I have done all suggestions bellow and it did not work.

I tried to reinstall Anyconnect from our web portal but I was not able to reinstall it: the installation tried to connect and did not succed to do so.

Then, I decided to completely remove Anyconnect from my computer , then reboot, then install a fresh one (still version 3.1.02040) and .... everything is working now.

I do not know why but it works, at least till now.

Hope you solve also your issues.

Best

Thanks Herve!!!

Removed AnyConnect  & Cisco WebEx

Rebooted!!!! 

Re-installed AnyConnect

Now I can shut down the VPN connection and I can shutdown/sleep windows without crashing.

Eric Labashosky wrote:

Thanks Herve!!!

Removed AnyConnect  & Cisco WebEx

Rebooted!!!! 

Re-installed AnyConnect

Now I can shut down the VPN connection and I can shutdown/sleep windows without crashing.

Tried this but for me it didn't help. Same behavior.

We see similar problems here:

- long time to disconnect, about 40 secs.

- users reported bluescreens during shutdown

Workaround:

We rolled back our production environment to 3.0.10057 which seemed to work.

Testing 3.1.02040 om an VM with Windows 8 showed no issues.

As we are running a dual stack IPv4/IPv6 network, connecting over a IPv4 only network (WLAN) sometimes seemed to work.

Markus

Same problems with 3.1.02040. Will try to reinstall.

I uninstalled 3.1.02040, restarted, installed 3.1.00495 and no more sleep crashes or shutdown issues.

I have the same issue.  When doing a restart/shutdown of the windows 8 box if you are patient you should get a BSOD -

power_driver_state_failure - 0x0000009f

This seems to be a link between the Anyconnect and A/V or maybe other security apps.  I have tried Sophos and Kaspersky.  If either are removed the issue no longer occurs BUT duing my troubleshooting I have had several instances where I didn't have the issue either so I could be off mark.  Same symptoms as eveyone else -

VPN disconnect takes 10 to 30 seconds

VPN will not connect again until after a reboot - accept banner then get "the VPN client driver encountered an error"

Reboot or shutdown windows takes an extended period of time and bug check occurs.

I don't use any third party antivirus and it is the same. I don't think is A/V related!

@josh  I had the exact same symptoms that you described. Right now I'm working without any problems (knock on wood).   Uninstall/reboot/reinstalled worked for me, others have said that didn't fix them.

Views
Helpful
Replies