cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect Essentials License

Dean Crook
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry if this question has been asked, i couldnt find an answer anywhere.

I have an ASA5520 with Anyconnect Essentials enabled, I want to replace this FW with an ASA5540 can I migrate the Anyconnect Essentials license?

Thanks                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In general the license of an ASA is tied to the serial number of the ASA. This means that there is not an easy way to migrate a license from one ASA to another. In the case of an RMA there is a way that TAC can move the license.

It might be worth asking whoever is providing the ASA5540 if they can work out anything about the license. In the case of a purchase there might be some possible concession on license provisioning. But in general when you get a new ASA you need to get a new license.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In general the license of an ASA is tied to the serial number of the ASA. This means that there is not an easy way to migrate a license from one ASA to another. In the case of an RMA there is a way that TAC can move the license.

It might be worth asking whoever is providing the ASA5540 if they can work out anything about the license. In the case of a purchase there might be some possible concession on license provisioning. But in general when you get a new ASA you need to get a new license.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rick is correct. The Essentials license for the 5540 is a different part number (and costs more since the platform can handle more clients).

When an activation key is generated for a licensed ASA feature, it requires the target device serial number to be provided to Cisco's licensing system for generation of the key.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: