Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Mobile vs Essentials / Premium License

Hi,

We have an ASA with AnyConnect Essentials and Mobile license.

Based on Cisco documentation, Premium licensing is necessary to achieve Always-On connection on mobile devices (ie. Iphone).

However, there is also an option for "on-demand" VPN which I think work fine with essantials license.

So my questions are,

• Do I absolutely need the Premium license in order to activate "always-on" connection ?
  • What are the main difference between "Always-on" and "On-Demand" feature.

Thanks

Dominic

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where did you find documentation stating tht Always-on requires AnyConnect Premium? The information I have indicates AnyConnect Essentials is sufficient. Quote:

"You can use a Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility license to provide support for always-on VPN in combination with either an AnyConnect Essentials or an AnyConnect Premium license"

source

Always-on is more secure in that you can restrict users from local network access if they are not connected on VPN. On-demand is a bit more flexible as the VPN only need be connected when access to resources at the VPN-secured sites is needed.

In general, AnyConnect Premium is required when you want to use Advanced Endpoint Assessment, Cisco Secure Desktop, or Browser-based (Clientless) SSL VPN. It also allows for the concept of shared licenses (a pool) across a cluster of ASAs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: