Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5500 SSL VPN Failover License

mflancia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a partner that is asking some assistance with sharing of SSL VPN Licenses on the ASA 5500 firewall:

His question is:

Can the two SSL licenses, included with the ASA firewall, be shared across an Active/Standby pair?  So I would have a total of (4) SSL VPN licenses to use?

Would this also be the true for the two Security Contexts that are included with the firewall?

For example, I purchase two base ASA 5520 firewalls, running Active/Standby, each unit comes with (2) SSL VPN licenses and (2) Security Contexts licenses? In the 8.3 release, licenses are cumulative in failover pairs, so would I have a total of (4) SSL VPN and (4) Security Contexts?

Here's my answer to his inquiry:

Based on this link (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa83/license_standalone/license_management/license.html#wp1449664)

It was mentioned that:

"You can only have one license type active, either the AnyConnect Essentials license or the AnyConnect Premium license. By default, the adaptive security appliance includes an AnyConnect Premium license for 2 sessions. If you install the AnyConnect Essentials license, then it is used by default. See the no anyconnect-essentials command or in ASDM, the Configuration > Remote Access VPN > Network (Client) Access > Advanced > AnyConnect Essentials pane to enable the Premium license instead."

He will be able to share the 4 bundled License on the ASA 5500. He will be able to share those licenses but i'm not quite sure about the Context Security. My answer there would be, he can only use 2 context security licenses since that only VPN licenses are shared on version 8.3 and not other feature licenses. Is my understanding correct? or there are other explanations on my customers inquiry?

Thanks in advance!

Ice Flancia

Cisco Partner Helpline Tier 2 Escalations Team

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only from ASA version 8.3 onwards, the license can be combined on a failover Active/Standby pair.

2 SSL included license on ASA in failover pair will be combined as 4 SSL license.

2 Context license on ASA in failover pair will be combined as 4 context license.

Here is the URL on ASA failover license combined:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa83/license_standalone/license_management/license.html#wp1450094

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only from ASA version 8.3 onwards, the license can be combined on a failover Active/Standby pair.

2 SSL included license on ASA in failover pair will be combined as 4 SSL license.

2 Context license on ASA in failover pair will be combined as 4 context license.

Here is the URL on ASA failover license combined:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa83/license_standalone/license_management/license.html#wp1450094

Hope that helps.

Thanks again!!