cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 connectivity issues to 3550 Catalyst

handsy
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a nightmare trying to connect my shiny new ASA 5510 to an old Cat 3550 switch. The ASA port shows up/up but receives no packets at all. As soon as I put the cable back in to the old PIX515E it works straight away, making me believe this is a bug between the 5510 and the 3550. I have tried countless combinations of speed/duplex, and I've upgraded both the switch software and ASA software to latest levels. I have even tried a different ASA. The only way I can get the link between the ASA and the switch to come up is to place a "Linksys residential cable router with 4-port switch" in between!!! Clearly the 5510 and 3550 do not like negotiating a link for whatever reason.

Any help will be massively appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

9 Replies 9

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Mark,

I run several ASA's into 3550/3560/3548/3750 switches and have had no issues. I would do the following:-

1) Check switch port config speed/duplex

2) Set interface to auto speed/duplex

3) Make sure you are not using an x-over cable

HTH>

Thanks for your reply. As mentioned, I have tried countless combinations of speed/duplex and I am definitely not using x-over cable :(

What software level is your ASA/3550 on? ...and are your ASAs the 5510 variety?

I have 5510'2/5520'2 & 5540's

Code in the ASA are a mixture of 7.0(4). 7.2.2 and 8.0(4)

my 3550's are all on 12.2(25)

Post the switch and asa config (sanitised)

I can't do full config for switch as I don't own that end, but I was given the interface config:

interface FastEthernet0/47

switchport access vlan 14

switchport mode access

speed 100

duplex full

no snmp trap link-status

spanning-tree portfast

..and the ASA port config is as follows:

interface Ethernet0/3

description Corporate Network Link

speed 100

duplex full

nameif corporate

security-level 5

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.192

The ASA is a 5510 running 7.2(4) and the switch is a WS-C3550-48-SMI running 12.2(44)SE3.

Mmm nothing here to suggest any config issues - however just for giggles I would set the switch port and asa to "auto" on the speed/duplex to see if that fixes the issue. Then I would change cables!

HTH>

Yeah did that too, and the ASA end comes up saying "Half/100" !!

Cable is perfectly fine to the PIX515E so it's not a cable problem.

Thanks for your help anyway.

If they can;t negotiate the duplex - this means the "frame link pulse" is not 100% OR you have mdix on the switch port, which sometimes breaks the neogtiation with static speed.duplex settings.

Can you have the owner of the switch remove mdix on the switch port and test again?

Hi, is mdix a config setting? If it is, I can't find that setting in any command reference. Can you advise? Thanks for all your help so far.

command to enable is:-

mdix auto

to disbale

no mdix auto

HTH>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: