Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASA Cluster Query

Hi,

I've been reading some docs regarding asa clusters and am a bit confused.  I understand the concept of an active/active contexts where both ASAs are active but my last setup basically has different IPs configured on each context (no virtual IP).  The cluster docs somehow leans toward vpn clusters which makes sense but indicates traffic initiated from clients from the outside.  I guess i was looking for a clustering solution where both ASAs will be active without the need for multiple contexts but have a virtual IP(applied on the interface similar to glbp) that would load balance the traffic for static and dynamic nat.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY

Re: ASA Cluster Query

Hi,

To have the ASAs working in high-availability you can configure failover.

Failover will work as either Active/Passive or Active/Active.

Active/Passive allows a single ASA to pass traffic and the other is just in standby mode.

Active/Active allows both ASAs to pass traffic but there's no real load-balance because each ASA will handle a different context (requires multiple-context).

As far as I'm aware, the ASAs will not share a virtual IP like HSRP, VRRP or GLBP.

Federico.

Views
Helpful
Replies