Helpful
Replies

ASA loses NAT-T Config for Remote Access

thomashaecker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a problem with an ASA 5505.

I have configured NAT-T for the remote access via IPSec and the cisco vpn client.

My ASA loses this config option once a day.

I configure NAT-T with a lifetime of 30 seconds, apply and save to flash.

The next day, there is no NAT-T configured anymore.

I suspect this happens when the ASA is re-establishing the internet connection.

Does anybody have a hint how to make this config option stay permanent?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

8 Replies 8

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

There was a bug that would remove the nat-traversal command when the ASA was rebooted. The workaround was to assign a non-default lifetime value. For example...

crypto isakmp nat-traversal 21

If you've set it to 30, you've already done the workaround. Was version of ASA?

Its an ASA 5505 with version 8.0(2)

I also recogniced i have to choose a value different from he default, thats why i chose 30.

The ASA is not rebooting (at least the uptime says that).

I am also monitoring this device with Nagios from an external server in the internet, it does not seem the device is rebooting (or it would be rebooting very fast).

I suggest it happens when the internet connection is re-established but i am not sure about hat.

Funny thing is, i have other ASAs running with version 8.0(2) which does not have this problem.

We also already replaced it with a new one, reconfigured it, but the behaviour is always the same.

Can anybody tell me if this is a known bug or am i just not able to configure an ASA correctly?

have you tried upgrading to 8.0(3)

Seems to me 8.0(3) is only accessible to users with a support contract.

As i do not have one, is there any chance for me to get 8.0(3)?

I am having this issue on 8.0(3). The weird thing is, only my Vista users cannot connect via VPN if Nat-T is not configured.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: