cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM Launcher hangs

mcmurphytoo
Level 1
Level 1

ASA 5510, ASA 8.0(4), ASDM 6.1(3), ASDM Launcher 1.5(30) on Windows XP SP3.  Up until a week ago this worked, this has been the management PC since I installed the ASA.  Now, as of the last several days (I don't look at it every day) I run the Launcher, put in credentials, it says Loading Cached software, it says software update completed, then it hourglasses, until I gave it and close it.  I've udpated its Java, its Windows updates are current; even a few recent security updates that may have to do with this.  How do I go about fixing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reloading ASA will let ASDM work again. You can use command line and type "reload" command. If you don't know command line, just power-cycle your ASA.

You can use command line to do the ASDM upgrade as well. Basically, you just need:

1. tftp new ASDM image to flash

2. change the configuration to point to new ASDM file.

3. reload the box.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

Try to reload ASA to see if it can fix the issue.

If not, try a new ASDM version.

If ASA has been running for more than one year, it could be related to bug CSCsr89144.

You can check your java console log to confirm it, you should see the error message like:

Exception in thread "SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "1 year 0"
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
at com.cisco.pdm.Check.h(DashoA10*..:1358)
at com.cisco.pdm.Check.c(DashoA10*..:858)
at com.cisco.pdm.Check.a(DashoA10*..:438)
at com.cisco.pdm.PDMApplet.start(DashoA10*..:132)
at com.cisco.nm.dice.loader.r.run(DashoA19*..:410)

Thanks, I  haven't dug into java stuff before.  I enabled logging and tracing, and picked Show Console, in Control panel Java Advanced.  I don't see the console anywhere (I saw it pop up on a different machine when i tried).  In the log folder all I get so far is a jcp.trace file, looks like startup info.  I t has:

basic: unique id: JavaControlPanel
basic: server port at: 2828
basic: getSingleInstanceFilename: C:\Documents and Settings\barracuda\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_2828
basic: waiting connection
basic: recv: javaws.singleinstance.stop
basic: getSingleInstanceFilename: C:\Documents and Settings\barracuda\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_2828
basic: removed SingleInstanceFile: C:\Documents and Settings\barracuda\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_2828

I don't know if I'm missing some logging, or if this is all it has to say.

Finally found where my Java Console was hiding and bingo, here's that log:

Local Launcher Version = 1.5.30
Local Launcher Version Display = 1.5(30)
OK button clicked
Trying for ASDM Version file; url = https://192.168.1.1/admin/
Server Version = 6.1(3)
Server Launcher Version = 1.5.30, size = 319488 bytes
invoking SGZ Loader..
Cache location = C:/Documents and Settings/barracuda/.asdm/cache
Exception in thread "SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "1 year 13"
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
at com.cisco.pdm.Check.h(DashoA10*..:1358)
at com.cisco.pdm.Check.c(DashoA10*..:858)
at com.cisco.pdm.Check.a(DashoA10*..:438)
at com.cisco.pdm.PDMApplet.start(DashoA10*..:132)
at com.cisco.nm.dice.loader.r.run(DashoA19*..:410)

so I need to find out what's up with that Cisco problem?

This output confirms that ASDM is hitting the bug which I mentioned in the previous post. Update ASDM will fix it.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsr89144

Instructions I've found use ASDM Launcher to upgrade ASDM.  Launcher hangs.  Must I find another way to upgrade ASDM?

Or, the bugfix documentation says Workaround: Reload ASA.  Does that mean just restart the ASA?  Will that get Launcher going to let me upgrade ASDM?  Thanks for the help.

Reloading ASA will let ASDM work again. You can use command line and type "reload" command. If you don't know command line, just power-cycle your ASA.

You can use command line to do the ASDM upgrade as well. Basically, you just need:

1. tftp new ASDM image to flash

2. change the configuration to point to new ASDM file.

3. reload the box.

I would also like to add that I had to do two things to get my ADSM console working.

1. Reload/restart the Cisco ASA

2. Uninstall all Java, and then installed Java6 update 7.

Joel, this actually worked to work around "SGZ Loader" bug mentioned by kwu2 above. Thanks!

Reloading didn't fix it for me. Downgrading the ASDM version did the trick.

Cheers,

Murilo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: